SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Battery Replacement, Which to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 07:13 AM
OptimaJim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SC30096, I’m sorry to hear about the problems you’ve been having and I’d like to help. If your battery is losing a charge in a relatively-short amount of time, it’s possible you have a high “key-off” load that is draining your battery, possibly the alarm you mentioned. The typical key-off load for most vehicles is about 25 milliamps. If your key-off load exceeds 100 milliamps, there is an electrical issue that needs to be addressed. This video explains some basic battery diagnostics, including measuring a key-off load- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPlx4MBNRU

RedTops are suitable for most stock applications, but YellowTops are recommended for vehicles with significant electrical demands, like aftermarket stereo upgrades. Optimas (and AGM batteries in general) also offer the added benefit of being sealed, which minimizes the chances of acid damage to your vehicle.

The quality of our batteries has always been excellent and the batteries we are making today are the best we have ever made. Most of the “bad” batteries now being returned to us are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged. This video explains how to recharge a deeply-discharged Optima- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 06-23-10, 10:03 AM
STORMINORM
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by good2go
I've got to give a shout out to Costco batteries. Excellent quality, excellent warranty, and...of course, excellent price. Nuff said

I was at COSTCO yesterday and their catalogue shown no replacement size in either in the Kirkland (Costco "House Brand") nor OPTIMA for the SC400: it is true that this store only carried one size OPTIMA, though. It was a Red-Top @ $128.99, BTW.

It showed the original as a Group 24, which they no longer carry.

Obviously, one can take the CCA spec, measure L x W x H & terminal locations & find one that "fits", but what about the RIGHT one?

Cheers!

p.s. I bought their Kirkland Group 34 (1000CCA!) for my Subaru SVX, which was no way near the size they showed in the catalogue (which was at least an inch too tall!), and it fits PERFECTLY.
Old 06-23-10, 05:51 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by STORMINORM
I was at COSTCO yesterday and their catalogue shown no replacement size in either in the Kirkland (Costco "House Brand") nor OPTIMA for the SC400: it is true that this store only carried one size OPTIMA, though. It was a Red-Top @ $128.99, BTW.

It showed the original as a Group 24, which they no longer carry.

Obviously, one can take the CCA spec, measure L x W x H & terminal locations & find one that "fits", but what about the RIGHT one?

Cheers!

p.s. I bought their Kirkland Group 34 (1000CCA!) for my Subaru SVX, which was no way near the size they showed in the catalogue (which was at least an inch too tall!), and it fits PERFECTLY.

That's interesting. Do you know if they discontinued the group 24's at all Costco's or just some?

Yes, the group 34 is a beefier but size compatible replacement for SC's.

Out of curiosity, what did you pay after core exchange was deducted?
Old 06-23-10, 06:37 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

If you have a SAM's club near you, they sell Optima's there for a great price and their warranties are the best!
Old 06-23-10, 10:52 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

I'm bout to pick up a Optima yellow soon, battery is giving out :/
Old 06-24-10, 10:08 AM
STORMINORM
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by good2go
That's interesting. Do you know if they discontinued the group 24's at all Costco's or just some?

Yes, the group 34 is a beefier but size compatible replacement for SC's.

Out of curiosity, what did you pay after core exchange was deducted?
No idea about other COSTCO locations, just no Group 24's showing in their catalogue nor on the floor.

I paid $68.99 (no sales tax in OR) for the Group 34 and dropped off an old battery to avoid the (NOW!) $9.00 core charge.

I'm old enough to remember when you might even have to pay the battery places to take an extra battery because they charged for a "disposal" service.

My, how times have changed (along with the price of lead).

Cheers!
Old 06-24-10, 05:11 PM
phermes1
Driver School Candidate

I've had good luck with Interstate and Napa. I have a diesel van that has 2 Napa batteries in it and they're holding up great.