SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Battery Replacement, Which to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-10, 09:50 AM
SC30096
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Replacement, Which to get?

Its about that time guys, battery starting to die on me it only holds charge for about a day and is barely able to crank her over. Which Battery do you guys recommend? Couldn't find much when searching. So far Optima Red Top is all i've heard.
Old 05-30-10, 10:02 AM
cheez
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah thats wut i was gonna recommend
Old 05-30-10, 11:26 AM
WingsofWar
Driver School Candidate

If your ok with any car battery, id recommend batteries from Napa.
or
you might just be ok with Optima Redtop as a replacement if your on a budget and normal car batteries wont cut it for you.
or
If your looking for a more solid dry cell performance battery id look into Odyssey Dry Cells.
Old 05-30-10, 02:02 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

For a daily driven car there is really no reason to spend 2x the money on a battery just to have it look pretty and have the spiral or gel cell technology. For plain lead acid batteries there are only like 2 or 3 battery makers.

The #1 maker is Johnson Controls and they sell the exact same battery markerted as the Lexus OEM part, the sears Diehard Gold, and some other brands I fail to recall.

Corvettes with fiberglass bodies had Delphi engineer the Delco Freedom battery for them to be completely sealed and require zero maintenance/spill problem.

Well, problem is....Delco battery retailing is not what it used to be and they can be hard to get the same day. If you can find a Delphi/Delco Freedom go for it.

Otherwise, any battery you buy in a store will probably be a Johnson Controls made model so it will not really matter. Sears does do no hastle exchanges and honors the waranty well though.
Old 05-30-10, 03:13 PM
kanukem
Rookie

interstate and optima tops hands down. i highly recommend interstate though for its reliability and price. its a tough battery, itll pull through for you.

before you buy a new battery though, i'd suggest you buy a digital volt meter (DVM) and figure out why your battery started to die in the first place.
Old 05-30-10, 03:22 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

if it's not holding charge, it's probably a dead cell in the battery.

I had a duralast for only 2 years, worked well during that time but wish it lasted longer. I've seen a lot of toyota True Start batteries go without issues for 5+ years, but they cost an arm and a leg.

The optima is only good if you have extra electrical demand (like lighting, sound systems, etc.). They also cost a lot but again you get what you pay for and these will last a while. Only thing im concered is ever since they outsourced theire production to Mexico some people have complained the quality has gone down a bit. I can't comment because i haven't had one myself, just from what i've heard.
Old 05-30-10, 03:50 PM
Ethix
Driver

I've been using Autozone Duralast batteries for the last few years in different cars and I haven't had any issues. Price isn't really any better than anywhere else, but the warranty is. I had one that was over 6 years old with only 4 months left on the pro-rated warranty and it cost me like $30 to get a brand new one with a brand new warranty. That's not too bad when you consider that they're like $85 now.
Old 05-30-10, 07:01 PM
DWPsc3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I heard, Optimum or Kinetic batteries are the best. I have a Optimum yellow top and my bro is running the Kinetic. Both seems very good so far.
Old 05-30-10, 08:08 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the Optima Red Top for awhile now and have no complaints.
Old 05-30-10, 08:22 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

haha of all places walmart is the only place I could find that carried Optima's, got my battery tested and it says it was still good just needed a charge so I bought an AC charger kit. charged it for 4 hours and put it back in, we'll see how it holds up for the next few days. Orignally my battery got drained because I didnt drive it for a week and Im pretty sure my compustar alarm kept on getting set off by passing cars when i was away at work.
Old 05-30-10, 09:32 PM
ckoax
Driver School Candidate

Have had Optima Red Tops, never a problem, one is over 8 years old, still tests as new.
Old 05-30-10, 09:55 PM
IVANM0618
Driver School Candidate

i had a compustar in my 93sc400 back in 02. liked the alarm. never did get the distance they promised and screwed my ignition. it would just not start for a half hour at a time
Old 05-30-10, 09:56 PM
lolSC600
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ethix
I've been using Autozone Duralast batteries for the last few years in different cars and I haven't had any issues. Price isn't really any better than anywhere else, but the warranty is.
QFT

I work at Autozone and I know the ins and out of aftermarket parts store warranties. Napa you have to have a receipt, Advance (Checker Shucks Kragen) they go store by store. Autozone has the only true nationwide electronic warranty system all you need is your phone number.
Old 05-30-10, 10:20 PM
S142jz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OPTIMA. red, yellow, or blue are all Great. GO GOOD OR GO HOME....
Old 05-31-10, 12:10 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

I've got to give a shout out to Costco batteries. Excellent quality, excellent warranty, and...of course, excellent price. Nuff said

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement, Which to get?