SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

i just lost a race my first race in my sc400!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 09:20 AM
Jikit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a few choices you can supercharge it, you can drop ALL the features, or you can do an engine swap for a 2JZ
Old 05-31-10, 09:22 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

100 shot nitrous and a r154 will be your easiest way out.
Old 05-31-10, 09:26 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

A brand new GTI with 21 psi boost vs a 15 year old stock SC400 with a 4-spd autobox... how was that even remotely a fair race? I have a feeling even a stock GTI could be the SC400. Our ancient tranny is half the problem. Because its only got 4 speeds, its hard to shift into the right RPM. One of the worst things is that the gear shift from 1st to 2nd drops the RPM to 3450, well below our torque peak of 4400-4500.

One of the first mods Blizzy did on his SC400 was swap the rear diff, going from 3.92 (stock) to 4.27. That alone improved his 0-60 time from 6.78 secs to 6.45 secs, with his best run hitting 6.37 secs:
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7745

Mind you, this was before he went for a 5-spd manual. Changing the gearing on our cars alone makes a world of difference.
Old 05-31-10, 09:59 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

hahaha...this is such a fool's game though. You are chasing your own tail.

No matter what you do to your car, someone will ALWAYS be able to beat you. There will ALWAYS be someone faster...that's what makes it such a sport. You need to set a goal for yourself, be happy with it, and quit looking at what kind of car just beat you...because that is ALWAYS going to be a moving/never-ending target
Old 05-31-10, 10:05 AM
Djdot2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a gti............done
Old 05-31-10, 10:20 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

You would have to kill me, then stuff my dead corpse into a GTI before you'd ever catch me behind the wheel of one of those things. VW is the definition of a POS Eurobox, and hatchbacks are for people who call their husbands and wives, "partners"
Old 05-31-10, 10:21 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
BFI and exhaust, and I guarantee your still not going to beat the GTi..at stock boost they make 210hp, but the thing thats going to give him the advantage over and over, is weight..you want to beat the GTi, swap in a GTE and up the boost, and give (sell) the 1UZ..
Agreed....either swap out the UZ to a JZ and turbo it, or turbo the UZ SC like Steve Chumo did. Both will cost money, but not ridiculous money.

Originally Posted by Kira X
Do you know of any good headers for an SC300? I've heard OBX makes SC headers, but they suck.

The Magnaflows will make your car sound awesome. I've got Magnaflows and 2.5 inch piping and it sounds better than most V8's. I'm sure it would be sick on your SC400!
The sound will be nice, but he will still get his butt handed to him. There will only be minimal power and TQ gains.

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I say go with 2.5 inch straight piping all the way back, deleting the resonators, and cats. Slap on some Magnaflows's or just use the the stock ones. Do a BFI and by some S and S headers. They are super high, but I heard a pretty good fit, with little trouble. JMO.
Headers will still be only minimal gains, if you don't add an aggressive supercharger along with them on the UZ platform, you will not be very pleased with the results. By adding Headers and mufflers, the GTI will still kick your **** easily.

Originally Posted by Dx3
You are wasting your time and money - you are not going to beat that car unless you go FI. You bought a slow car and are surprised you got beat

Jonny
Yep, Johnny sums it up real well. The SC looks fast, but as we all know, and painfully so, it is quite slow in its stock condition. For those willing and able to spend the money to make the SC fast, then it can be a beast, but that costs serious cash, much, much more than its current purchase value. If you don't have the money and/or the tech ability to add FI, then you need a different car, if you want a fast car. Of course, we really should not be racing on the highways, as that is dangerous, not to mention very illegal....

Bottom line is the SC is not a good platform for speed if you don't have quite a bit of money to spend on it.

GL

Ryan
Old 05-31-10, 10:36 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nerdyimage
Its a 1995 and how much you think a 5 speed swap would be all my other cars were sticks and the automatic right now is kind of making me rethink a bit. Wow I am kind of pouting right now by my computer

I found your problem! Get rid of it and buy a 98+ SC400 if you want you match the GTI's speed.

Or swap out the engine for a 2JZ.

Either way... it takes money.
Old 05-31-10, 10:38 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

gti's are pretty quick dont feel bad.
Old 05-31-10, 10:44 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I found your problem! Get rid of it and buy a 98+ SC400 if you want you match the GTI's speed.

The 98 won't beat it....No way, no how. Even with the increased HP, remember the weight of the SC....it always ends up being power to weight ratio.

Ryan
Old 05-31-10, 10:50 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg

the 98+ SC400 still isnt going to match the GTi...#1 thing that nobody is factoring is the weight difference between the 2 cars. A 1UZ with an autotragic, is still a 1UZ..VVTi or not...

Bottom line is this. If your worried about beating GTi's, SRT4's, WRX's, or other mid-displacement 4 cylinder cars, you HAVE to go forced induction(SC's have huge heavy asses, and the stock auto is just killing the little hp the JZ and UZ engines make). You can keep the stock auto, but like with my SC300, it really limits everything from HP to launch control (unless you dish the cash for a TH400) and is still an auto.

I dont know how the UZ reacts/responds to low boost, but a stock 2JZ-GE is a decent contender @ 9psi (estimated 290-330rwhp on stock compression/fuel), and is enough that I dont even look at or bother with turbo charged 4 cylinders..and in the next few months much bigger game will be on my menu...

just swap the UZ, or dump some money into it, go with an R154, FI, good suspension, then go after the GTi.
Old 05-31-10, 10:52 AM
Jikit
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400TT
The 98 won't beat it....No way, no how. Even with the increased HP, remember the weight of the SC....it always ends up being power to weight ratio.

Ryan
Thats why he should just do the 2JZ swap. Realistically for the kind of power boost he needs he has three choices he can Spray which just MIGHT get him where he needs to go depending on the bottle size. Then he has the option of supercharging the car once again cost money and time. Three he can do a motor swap.

All three of these take in the upper part of a 1k or more to do but he's options are limited if he want's performance from car he has to pay for it or get a new car. It's a luxury car.
Old 05-31-10, 11:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT

Ryan

Originally Posted by turbodremz
the 98+ SC400 still isnt going to match the GTi...#1 thing that nobody is factoring is the weight difference between the 2 cars. A 1UZ with an autotragic, is still a 1UZ..VVTi or not...

Didn't realize the OP's opponent was boosted to 21psi. In that case, it makes all the difference in the world. 98+ SC4 is only going to match a stock GTI.
Old 05-31-10, 11:23 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=nerdyimage;5530199 He has a 2009 golf gti pushing 21psi stock turbo (which everyone already knows just making it clear)[/QUOTE]

First off I dont know of any car mfg that is pushing 21psi stock. And if he is running 21psi, hp/weight ratio, he's killing you. That car is close to 1000 lbs lighter that you. Your car stock is making 180hp to the ground. 21psi he's probably making close to 275-300 to the ground. (assuming other mods, not just 21psi). There's not a whole lot of bolt on's out there for the 400, but there's enought to get you another 30-50 hp. It cost alot of money to make a 400 fast. Good Luck.

Sorry this topic LOL went fast,started typing on the 15 & I was 29 when posted. ALOT of the same points made, by many.

Last edited by spdrcr771; 05-31-10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-31-10, 12:04 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to strip and race there. Street racing is lame.

Quick Reply: i just lost a race my first race in my sc400!