SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I Should Have Checked The VIN.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 05:26 PM
ProjectSC3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Should Have Checked The VIN.....

So i bought my sc300 in july last year. I got it from a guy who owned a towing business by my house. He had this sc in his yard for over a year so he was able to sell it. When i went to buy the car he said that i have to go to this dealer that he works with and get my title from them. So i went there and filled out all the info and paid for the transfer and they said i would receive it in the mail. Then i paid the guy for the car. I know, kinda backwards.

The Sc is in good condition with about 120,000 miles on it. I ended up paying 4500 for it. I have not had any real problems with the sc and I have put coilovers and wheels on it.

So just cause i was curious about how many owners my sc had i checked out the VIN. I found out that my odometer read the same mileage for like 2 years. Worst of all i found that my sc was SALVAGED at one point. I had never really looked at my title that close but to check my info and the cars info. I look again and I notice I have a rebuild title.

I feel like an idiot for not checking this out before i bought it. Does anyone know if there's something i can do about this because this information was never told to me? I would have never bought it if i knew the problems the car had in the past.

So what can i do?
Am i completely screwed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is my Sc as it sits now.
Old 06-02-10, 05:44 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lesson learned, move on and dont make the same mistake again.

do the research before you buy, ALWAYS!
Old 06-02-10, 05:54 PM
ProjectSC3
Driver School Candidate

That's how I was takeing it but I thought legaly he had to tell me something about this.

This will never happen again though. I guess that's just how you learn.
Old 06-02-10, 06:00 PM
Relapser
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm

i... umm... i don't wanna sound too ignorant here, but the way you bought the car sounded to be in kinda dodgy circumstances

as in the whole changing the deed then paying the cash etc

but that's nor here nor there...

i'm personally from australia myself and i don't know how much the USDM sc300 is worth in general... but... in my eyes

you paid $4,500 for it... (in my eyes this is very cheap)
it's given you no problems
it has 97 bumpers, it now has some cool wheels and coilovers to it looks like it impresses all the pedestrians as you slowly drive past
the paint looks fine
and i'm ASSUMING you've enjoyed it during the time that you've owned it

sooooo it has a rebuild history, and was salvaged (pause here, i don't actually know what that denotes - again i'm from australia, rebuild here means to have an engine rebuilt using fresh parts... but i'm assuming in USA rebuild means something bad?)

but serioulsy

did you pay 4.5K for a CAR?
or did you pay 4.5K for a bunch of paperwork n statistics ie did you pay for a report on what the car's history is...

reality is... you made a bit of a mistake, we all do it from time to time matey!

even the other day i made a mistake, oh wait - no i didn't... i'm perfect, that's right! =P

no but serioulsy, made a bit of a common booboo in life, so what!

you still have the CAR

you still ENJOY DRIVING IT
it still sure as heck LOOKS awesome
it's still comfortable to sit in!

sooooooooooo
...how can you really complain?

you got a cheap car, sure it's got a bad history but if it does what it's supposed to do then you're alright!

you'll live to fight another day

and the best part is... knowing that it's rebuilt and not a total mint condition BALLER machine... can be your little secret... people who stop n stare at the car will see YOUR CAR

not what is written on it's VIN report
Old 06-02-10, 06:04 PM
Relapser
Pole Position

wait...

i just stopped n had a thought after my pep-talk...

does this history mean it's illegal to drive???

cos if it does mean that then you're kinda boned my friend...

but if not!!!! let the haters hate =)
Old 06-02-10, 06:05 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Hmm does your state have some kind of lemon law? Maybe you should look into your state laws regarding private car sales
Old 06-02-10, 06:10 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Relapser
hmm

i... umm... i don't wanna sound too ignorant here, but the way you bought the car sounded to be in kinda dodgy circumstances

as in the whole changing the deed then paying the cash etc

but that's nor here nor there...

i'm personally from australia myself and i don't know how much the USDM sc300 is worth in general... but... in my eyes

you paid $4,500 for it... (in my eyes this is very cheap)
it's given you no problems
it has 97 bumpers, it now has some cool wheels and coilovers to it looks like it impresses all the pedestrians as you slowly drive past
the paint looks fine
and i'm ASSUMING you've enjoyed it during the time that you've owned it

sooooo it has a rebuild history, and was salvaged (pause here, i don't actually know what that denotes - again i'm from australia, rebuild here means to have an engine rebuilt using fresh parts... but i'm assuming in USA rebuild means something bad?)

but serioulsy

did you pay 4.5K for a CAR?
or did you pay 4.5K for a bunch of paperwork n statistics ie did you pay for a report on what the car's history is...

reality is... you made a bit of a mistake, we all do it from time to time matey!

even the other day i made a mistake, oh wait - no i didn't... i'm perfect, that's right! =P

no but serioulsy, made a bit of a common booboo in life, so what!

you still have the CAR

you still ENJOY DRIVING IT
it still sure as heck LOOKS awesome
it's still comfortable to sit in!

sooooooooooo
...how can you really complain?

you got a cheap car, sure it's got a bad history but if it does what it's supposed to do then you're alright!

you'll live to fight another day

and the best part is... knowing that it's rebuilt and not a total mint condition BALLER machine... can be your little secret... people who stop n stare at the car will see YOUR CAR

not what is written on it's VIN report
Salvage title = deemed a total loss by the insurance company
rebuilt title = deemed fully repaired and inspected to ensure proper repair

It's not a big deal, the car is still worth about the same with a rebuilt title, you got a good deal and from what I can tell, the car looks great and doesn't give you any trouble, so don't worry about it and just keep enjoying the car.
Old 06-02-10, 06:10 PM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Salvage title does not necessarily mean a car accident. It could be that the insurance company deemed it a total loss due to vandalism. Look under the car, in the hood, and trunk, and look for signs of an accident.

It's like a reformed call girl. As long as you did not see the video, she's still the same . . .

er - maybe it is a bad example. Sorry - move along.
Old 06-02-10, 06:11 PM
ProjectSC3
Driver School Candidate

That's a valid point. No real damage anymore. Just paper work. I can live with that.

Well the I trusted the guy during the questionable transaction cause I have know his son for a a few years and bought a rx7 from his son with no problems.

Guess I can't blame anyone but my self for just jumping into it. But I will know better next time.

As for my 97 sc300 a 1jz and manual swap look to be in the nea future.
Old 06-02-10, 06:16 PM
booga
Pole Position

The seller sold it to you in good faith and may also have been unaware of the history of the car. Tow yards don't make it a habit to run the VIN for the car history. You have no recourse against the seller. You certainly don't have anything on the previous owner. The previous might even get mad at you for jacking his car and beat you with a stick.

Nice car BTW
Old 06-02-10, 06:19 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

ahh stop being a cry baby that would be the best thing you can do

so what if it was salvage, as long as body is straight and car runs,

if it wasn't you'd never get a car like that for 4500

ive bought tons of salvaged cars and all gave me no problems
Old 06-02-10, 06:22 PM
toy4life
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a big deal, the car looks great and doesn't give you any trouble, so don't worry about it and just keep enjoying the car.
Old 06-02-10, 06:27 PM
booga
Pole Position

Avarec,

Oh hush now, don't take back your "stop being a cry baby" line and encourage him to buy tons of salvage cars. You know better than that.

Involved in his car purchase is a vehicle "look-over". A visual inspection, a sit and fart on the supple leather seats, a turn of the key to hear the SC wake up. And maybe even a spin around the block to see how she drives. The same process you would initially take when deciding to buy a car. (new or used)

The OP's SC passed the preliminary inspection - its a good car. Salvage on the title simply means that selling the car is not going to get you top dollar, which by the way - the OP did buy the car at a good price.

enjoy.
Old 06-02-10, 06:49 PM
ProjectSC3
Driver School Candidate

Ok ok ok I know this isn't a big deal. I guess I just wish I got a better price.

Thanks for the replys. I'm just gonna enjoy my sc300 and not worry about it. Even if I knew about the title I would have most likey bought it anyway. It is an awesome car.
Old 06-02-10, 06:54 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by booga
Avarec,

Oh hush now, don't take back your "stop being a cry baby" line and encourage him to buy tons of salvage cars. You know better than that.

Involved in his car purchase is a vehicle "look-over". A visual inspection, a sit and fart on the supple leather seats, a turn of the key to hear the SC wake up. And maybe even a spin around the block to see how she drives. The same process you would initially take when deciding to buy a car. (new or used)

The OP's SC passed the preliminary inspection - its a good car. Salvage on the title simply means that selling the car is not going to get you top dollar, which by the way - the OP did buy the car at a good price.

enjoy.

agree 100%

Quick Reply: I Should Have Checked The VIN.....