SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

A few maintenance questions (How to's)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10 | 12:55 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Default A few maintenance questions (How to's)

Okay guys keeping it clean and simple.

1) Code 21 main o2 sensor. Is there any way to tell which side this is referring to as in driver vs passenger? And how to remove it? I heard you have to take the seat out and pull the carpet up to get at the o2 harness...

2) Fuel filter: My car misfires because of an original ff from 93' being clogged as anything. Its too rusted into the line at least I think, I haven't attempted to get it off cause I don't know how to stop fuel from pouring all over the place or cracking the fuel line. Thoughts? Comments? How To's ?

3) When I shut the car off I can faintly smell burnt oil. Today I looked under the hood and noticed a steam coming from back behind the valve cover. Definitely oil. Is a valve cover on an SC400 a huge job to replace?

Let me know guys thanks
Old 06-03-10 | 01:09 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

Originally Posted by BostonSC4
Okay guys keeping it clean and simple.

1) Code 21 main o2 sensor. Is there any way to tell which side this is referring to as in driver vs passenger? And how to remove it? I heard you have to take the seat out and pull the carpet up to get at the o2 harness...

2) Fuel filter: My car misfires because of an original ff from 93' being clogged as anything. Its too rusted into the line at least I think, I haven't attempted to get it off cause I don't know how to stop fuel from pouring all over the place or cracking the fuel line. Thoughts? Comments? How To's ?

3) When I shut the car off I can faintly smell burnt oil. Today I looked under the hood and noticed a steam coming from back behind the valve cover. Definitely oil. Is a valve cover on an SC400 a huge job to replace?

Let me know guys thanks
1)Depends on year and Model of car need more info- Carpet has to be Pulled back but no seat removal.

2) Filter is prob seized and will be a pain to get off.They always are.
Crank car - and while running pull EFI fuse - continue to turn car over after car cuts off to help relieve Fuel pressure,...crack line and only a little bit will come on - Also remove gas cap.
3). Valve Cover gaskets prob - always Stink,..could be more cam/Crank seals etc etc
V8 is a big job.Good luck to you sir.Cheap on parts as far as the gaskets go.
Old 06-03-10 | 08:11 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrFairlady
1)Depends on year and Model of car need more info- Carpet has to be Pulled back but no seat removal.

2) Filter is prob seized and will be a pain to get off.They always are.
Crank car - and while running pull EFI fuse - continue to turn car over after car cuts off to help relieve Fuel pressure,...crack line and only a little bit will come on - Also remove gas cap.
3). Valve Cover gaskets prob - always Stink,..could be more cam/Crank seals etc etc
V8 is a big job.Good luck to you sir.Cheap on parts as far as the gaskets go.

Thanks a lot man. I have a 93 sc400 so with a few things ^^ needed to be in (near) perfect condition.

Regarding the o2 sensor, where exactly do I get to the harness from?
Old 06-03-10 | 09:22 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

I pulled the valve cover off of my friends sc400, it SUCKED. it took about 2 hours and was completely pointless, I couldn't even reach what I was trying to get once I took it off. As for the O2 sensor, its not so bad to get, you do have to pull off the center con. plastic bezel thing, idk what its called that brown plastic thing with the radio/ac buttons on it, well pull that off, unbolt the radio and pull it forward, then you'll want to tug on the wire for the O2 sensor so you can find the clip/connector, they are kinda free floating but can be covered up by a cluster**** of wires. You will need to pull up the carpet.

I'm not sure what to do with the fuel filter, Mrfairlady probably covered everything you need to know about that.
Old 06-03-10 | 10:52 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Okay. Do you guys think the smoke coming from the back driver side of the engine smelling like burnt oil is infact the VCG ?
Old 06-03-10 | 11:45 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

O2 sensor is not that bad. You'll know immediately what you need to do once you slide under the car.

Fuel filter is not that bad. It will leak quite a bit but not like the whole tank will. Why? Because the car is not on, therefore the fuel pump is off and will not pump fuel through the lines so don't worry. After putting the new filter on, just turn the key on "ON/OFF/ON/OFF" a few times for the fuel pump to fill the line in. This is so that you don't get a hard time starting the car.

Oil leak? hhhmmm Maybe first clear the top off and inspect it well. It could be the valve cover gasket. Lots of work but not hard at all. Just many things in the way thats all.

Good luck buddy.
Old 06-04-10 | 07:46 AM
MrFairlady
Driver

Yup,..radio area is where the connector is but wire runs down under the carpet near the Tunnel.floor pan on pass and driver side.

Valve cover gaskets Do Suck bad (can leak onto exhaust mani or maybe the "down pipe") on the V8's so good luck.thats prob the Stank smell to be honest.Mine was leaking like a siv.No more V8 for me though.
Fuel filter will leak if pressure is not released the right way (removing cap is half-assed way to do it) and get you covered in fuel,..I'm sure it will seize.Most do.