SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

with a few good friends how long would a 1jz swap take?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 05:59 PM
schef300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default with a few good friends how long would a 1jz swap take?

i plan on having 1 or 2 car friends help me swap in a 1jz. i have a 93 sc300.

My sc is an automatic and the 1j i plan on swapping in is gona be a 1j automatic. From my understanding its a simple afternoon job.

Am i right or wrong? Am i going to need any special parts such as engine mounts,harness extentions or fuel pumps to get the 1j running right?
Old 06-06-10, 06:05 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to burst your bubble but i think its a little harder than that. unless your friends are like super duper good at swapping.
Old 06-06-10, 07:24 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

Originally Posted by schef300
i plan on having 1 or 2 car friends help me swap in a 1jz. i have a 93 sc300.

My sc is an automatic and the 1j i plan on swapping in is gona be a 1j automatic. From my understanding its a simple afternoon job.

Am i right or wrong? Am i going to need any special parts such as engine mounts,harness extentions or fuel pumps to get the 1j running right?
all depends on how you want the 1JZ.Putting it straight in with no Maintenance done on it is Pulling the trigger.Who knows Whats been done to it and whats wrong with it.

as long as you have everything Ready to go (motor mounts,trans mount,Fluids,Plugs,P/s Reservoir and rare items needed to make it work Correctly) It could possibly be done in a weekend of course.
the wiring is Not as bad as people make it out to be...or tell you,you have to do it.
---harness wise----
While the motors out remove the Harness from the Big Blk protector thats bolted inside the intake manifold and Cover it nicely with tape and loom and that will give you a little bit more Room/length to the harness to Strech towards the Pass side of the car.
You will still need to extend the body plugs that have maybe 25-30 wires, (maybe the o2 sensor wires too *at the female Side*) but only like 8-10"s as my 18" were waaaay to much.
The ECU will Sit a little higher in the Floorboard but instead of a $500+ wire job,purchase a $180 patch Harness and that will Drop/extend it Right where it needs to sit (albiet upside down,but who cares).

I would take the time and Do everything gasket wise and cleaning before I dropped it like I've done all Mine.Better safe then sorry.

Wiring will be the most time consuming part Especially if you extend all 90+ wires where EVERYONE else will tell you to.Weekend job if you have all the little things that could be needed.
Old 06-07-10, 09:33 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

MrFairlady pretty much nailed it, but as for anything, take the time to do it once and do it right.
Old 06-07-10, 09:38 PM
S142jz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get 2buddies It help and if you have everything setup right it would take you about 1day.
Old 06-07-10, 09:43 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well wiring takes a few hours to do. I did mine in about 8, but I had just recently learned to solder. If I had to do it again I could probably do it in half that. Then it depends what kind of maintenance you want to do, such as spark plugs, timing belt, water pump, front and rear seals (all of which you should do since the engine is probably in unknown condition).

I had a couple friends help me and it took us a good ten days, but none of us had ever done anything more than spark plugs and brakes. We were also only working about 5 or 6 hours a day and were using a spare tire jack and super tall jackstands. Besides honda swaps, this is probably one of the easier swaps you can do on your own.
Old 06-08-10, 12:15 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OneJay
Well wiring takes a few hours to do. I did mine in about 8, but I had just recently learned to solder. If I had to do it again I could probably do it in half that. Then it depends what kind of maintenance you want to do, such as spark plugs, timing belt, water pump, front and rear seals (all of which you should do since the engine is probably in unknown condition).

I had a couple friends help me and it took us a good ten days, but none of us had ever done anything more than spark plugs and brakes. We were also only working about 5 or 6 hours a day and were using a spare tire jack and super tall jackstands. Besides honda swaps, this is probably one of the easier swaps you can do on your own.

Hmm, i think i would attempt a motor swap myself if i had a couple of buddies who did the swap beforehand.. but i'll go 5spd also..I was thinking about a week is good enough.. thats if you have everything occasionally working on it. Plus it'll save you a good 2k or so and plus learning experience.

i've done bbk+radiator+suspension+regulator pretty much..

If i were you i suggest doing a LOT of searching studying and reaching before you start just so you can get familiar with it and start bookmarking threads.
Old 06-08-10, 02:28 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember, something always goes wrong. You may need to overnight parts from Japan :P
Old 06-08-10, 06:22 PM
bigdaddyrobb
Pole Position

I did it in a weekend with all of the prep work done the week before. I did everything and picked up the engine hoist sat morning from the rental place. Sat night had the old engine and tranny out. Sun late morn had the 1jz and tranny in. I did need to make a run to a shop for heater hose and one other thing.

I never did a swap. I am not a mechanic and learned everything off of club lexus. I had to figure out a couple of things but I got it running and loved it.
Old 06-08-10, 07:40 PM
713Sc300
Driver School Candidate

I JUST got my 92 sc300 and ive been researching for a walkthrough for a 1jz swap and this is what ive found. hope it helps out lol

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...pic-heavy.html
Old 06-11-10, 07:16 PM
schef300
Driver School Candidate

Actually this would be my second motor swap. my first swap was a mk3 supra i swaped out a 7mge for a 7mgte that i built from the block up. She ran amazing for about 8 months and took a big **** .i made the big mistake to think "standard size" clevites would get the job done + i didnt micro spec anything........But when i do get started on this swap i will be buying a full gasket kit from toyota all belts hoses and gaskets, the 1j gaskets will hold 10-14lbs boost on the stock twins fine right?

Im asking cause i came from the 7m side of the block....