SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

95 SC400 vs. 2000 - 2001 BMW 3 series

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10 | 01:36 PM
airtraffic
Rookie

Default 95 SC400 vs. 2000 - 2001 BMW 3 series

Warning.. Long post, if you're in a hurry, leave now!

Some background first.. I was a die-hard BMW fan. I had a 1995 3 series coupe that I loved, but moved out east, was not used to driving in snow and put it into a guard rail. The insurance compnay totalled it and wrote me a check. I bought a 2001 BMW 325xi with all the goodies, heated seats, xenons, upgraded stereo. I Loved it for the two hours I test drove it.. Owned it about a week and all of a sudden my back started killing me! It felt like the seats were made of plywood! I have an hour's commute each way to work and I was in a lot of pain! I tried to sell the car, but it seemed the BMW sedan market went soft as the economy slowed, no takers.

I was browsing the local car dealer adverts and spotted a Champagne 1995 SC400 coupe. I had heard about these cars before, but had never driven one. I knew if I was going to own one it had to have the Nakamichi sound system in it. I called the dealer and asked about it. The dealer told me it did indeed have the Nak system. I test drove it.. The car only had 70K on it. I figured it felt good on the back and would do until I could find another BMW 3 series that didn't hurt my back. The dealer traded me straight up. Yeah, I could have done better, but I didn't care, I wanted out of that 325!

I started driving the SC400 every day to work.. The sound system was pretty good.. I installed some Dynamat Extreme in the doors and behind the rear seats. I installed some 6 1/2 inch Infinity speakers in the doors. Now it rocked!

I loved the quiet ride, the classic looks and the fit & finish of the SC, but always thought I'd go back to BMW. Then a friend of mine started shopping for a new car to replace his VW Passat. He had admired my BMW for the short time I had owned it so we started looking at BMWs. Whenever he'd look at a car, I'd drive it also. Most of the cars we looked at were 2000 - 2001's in the $12,000 - $13,000 price range. I noticed right away that the quality of the BMWs didn't hold up to the quality of the SC's. The center consoles of the BMWs were always peeling, cracking and fading. Exterior plastic pieces were crazed faded and dried out. Seats, paint and Steering wheel leather in almost all the BMWs showed major wear. The BMWs were known to have transmission and other problems. Most had warm A/C systems. Unacceptable for a luxury car!

After driving the SC for almost two years, I noticed it felt really tight in the 3 series.. Something I had never felt before. The car just didn't seem nearly as well made as my much older car. I found after driving the BMW I was happier after I climbed back into my SC. What happened here? Have I been converted from a die hard German car fan to a Lexus fan?
While I do miss the way the German cars give their drivers the road response, and feel more like a scalpel in the hands of a surgeon, I have to admit, I am feeling more and more that my '95 SC400 beats the crap out of BMWs that are 6 years newer! Especially in the quality of build department!

Of course, I still have all the original suspension components on my SC.. If I replace bushings shocks, struts, etc.. and maybe put lower profile tires on, I bet it'd feel even better! I may have to keep it forever! Heck, It's only got 125K on the clock! Have to admit my amazement comparing these two cars.. SC's rock and I am indeed fortunate to own one of these rare cars.
Old 06-07-10 | 01:46 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Same story here. I was bmw guy. After two bmws (e39 and e46), when I got into sc I was like wow, this is what I was looking for. It simply gives unique experience that I didn't find in any bmws. Yes, bmw handles better but you can easily make SC handle just as well with suspension upgrades. Lexus interior is much more luxurios than 3 series. All this combined into great style and reliability (something not found in bmws) creates great car. Now, I sometimes browse the craigslist, and I simply not attracted to bmws now. (It's so funny, I would never think I'd say it).
Old 06-07-10 | 01:53 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

wow. but but.. have you and youre pal tried out m3's?? suppostedly the best handling coupe in america?? and did youre last bimmer seats really suck that bad?? why didnt you just swap out the seats??
Old 06-07-10 | 02:00 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

^ M3's are very expensive and just as expensive to maintain. For the money you buy stock m3, you can build nice NA-T and have much more fun with it. Plus, unlike M3, it will be fun AND reliable.
Old 06-07-10 | 02:08 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

so m3's arent reliable??(never heard this before??) and i know there exp to maintain. but what about all the hype(is it just that). i got my sc because i got it for a steal. do you think in terms of handling(i know the lex is bigger). it can compare??
Old 06-07-10 | 02:11 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by megamax
so m3's arent reliable??(never heard this before??) and i know there exp to maintain. but what about all the hype(is it just that). i got my sc because i got it for a steal. do you think in terms of handling(i know the lex is bigger). it can compare??
I had two bmws and I know e46 platform very well. I'm not just speaking out of blue
Old 06-07-10 | 02:15 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

not doubting you at all. just again all the awards and bm this bm that. never owned one as it's out of my price range but still can't believe their really that crappy..
Old 06-07-10 | 02:31 PM
airtraffic
Rookie

I too was convinced that BMWs were all that.. I've owned the E36 and an E46. If you read the BMW bulletin boards, you'll see the owners having to cope with many problems with the E46 platform while BMW does nothing. Don't get me wrong.. I'm not bashing BMWs.. Still love 'em, but I sure love my SC400. I've put 40K miles on it with only regular maintenanace no issues whatsoever and have a great ride! Never tried the M3, too expensive. Thought about swapping seats, but couldn't find a pair to swap fast enough. There were other folks on the BMW boards that agreed the E46 seats were hard as rocks. I tried inserting foam pads, sheepskin covers, nothing helped. Replacing it with an SC did seem to work.

Last edited by airtraffic; 06-07-10 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-07-10 | 02:41 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

kwel. something to think about if i ever do get that m3 bankroll.
Old 06-07-10 | 02:43 PM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
I had two bmws and I know e46 platform very well. I'm not just speaking out of blue
You sure arent. The BEST all around car (looks,performance,size,comfort,handling) I have EVER owned was a 2001 740i sport. I had another e38 as well, a 97 740iL. I'm sure a 7 is far more luxurious than a 3, but they cost a feces ton to maintain. Lexus's in my experience just dont have that problem.

My GF has had her 99 GS300 for 7 years. Total maintenance cost in the time INCLUDING two sets of tires has been about $2500. That was one trip to the shop in the 7. I had my 97 for 7 years as well. I spent well over 8k in maintenance, probably more.
Old 06-07-10 | 02:57 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

^^ wow wtf??? 8 GRAND?? jeezzz. but youre gf never got her timing belt changed?? and i think the 7 series is more lux than sports car anyway though..
Old 06-07-10 | 03:23 PM
boostd4
Driver

You guys are nuts. I work for BMW and have had several. My favorite daily driver of ALL TIME (and I've had over 20 cars) was my 2003 BMW 330i ZHP. It didn't have the stiff leather though, it had the cloth/alcantera seats that the competition package comes with, so maybe that helped.. but..

I now have a 95 SC300. The BMW does/did EVERYTHING better than the Lexus, except the cost to fix/maintain for the average person (same for me as my Lexus as I work for the dealership and get things at cost/free).

The '03 330i:
-handled better
-road better (solid with no body roll, but comfortable and not jarring)
-was faster
-had MUCH BETTER quality interior. Just touch the BMW dash vs the vinyl/plastic Lexus dash and you can tell the difference.
-was quieter on the inside
-got better gas mileage

It's not fair to compare a 8 year newer car though, but since that's what the OP was doing, I figured having owned both, It'd be fair to chime in.

That all being said, my I picked up my SC to get out of the BMW payment, and it has been a great car to me.

My next car will definitely be an 07-09 335Ci, though.
Old 06-07-10 | 03:46 PM
Jikit
Rookie

Originally Posted by boostd4
You guys are nuts. I work for BMW and have had several. My favorite daily driver of ALL TIME (and I've had over 20 cars) was my 2003 BMW 330i ZHP. It didn't have the stiff leather though, it had the cloth/alcantera seats that the competition package comes with, so maybe that helped.. but..

I now have a 95 SC300. The BMW does/did EVERYTHING better than the Lexus, except the cost to fix/maintain for the average person (same for me as my Lexus as I work for the dealership and get things at cost/free).

The '03 330i:
-handled better
-road better (solid with no body roll, but comfortable and not jarring)
-was faster
-had MUCH BETTER quality interior. Just touch the BMW dash vs the vinyl/plastic Lexus dash and you can tell the difference.
-was quieter on the inside
-got better gas mileage

It's not fair to compare a 8 year newer car though, but since that's what the OP was doing, I figured having owned both, It'd be fair to chime in.

That all being said, my I picked up my SC to get out of the BMW payment, and it has been a great car to me.

My next car will definitely be an 07-09 335Ci, though.
If you have the coin any car can be better than the next. You're talking right of the back but how many of us plan to keep the LEX SC OEM?
Old 06-07-10 | 10:03 PM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by megamax
^^ wow wtf??? 8 GRAND?? jeezzz. but youre gf never got her timing belt changed?? and i think the 7 series is more lux than sports car anyway though..
Yep, she did. The alternator and something having to do with the suspension (cant recall exactly what), 2 batteries, 8 tires, a tranny flush, brakes, and oil changes is about all she has done.

She does need a new compressor now, so that will be going up soon.
Old 06-07-10 | 10:09 PM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by boostd4
I now have a 95 SC300. The BMW does/did EVERYTHING better than the Lexus, except the cost to fix/maintain for the average person

I'd take my old 740i sport everyday all day over the SC SANS the maintenance. It's not an apples to apples comparison though.

Quick Reply: 95 SC400 vs. 2000 - 2001 BMW 3 series