SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Timing belt help needed..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-10 | 10:30 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

Default Timing belt help needed..

Alright so I have the engine basicly stripped down to the timing belt, but one metal cover remains, it had the idler pulley attached to it and one bigger black pulley that spins freely. Basicly everything but that is removed, crank pulley, tensioner, alternator.. so on. All of the guides I've printed out are for LS400's and they all have clutch fans, so its a different bracket/cover thing. Do I need to remove the free spinning black pulley before I can take the cover off?
Old 06-13-10 | 10:48 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

lexls's site didn't help?

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html
Old 06-13-10 | 11:10 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by masagsxr
I have it printed and I'm using it, but it has a different cover, since it has a clutch fan vs the hydro fan on the sc400. I'm seriously stumped.
Old 06-13-10 | 12:56 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Thats the only difference which should make it easier with your SC4 since you don't have the fan attached to the water pump that you have to remove. What else is in the way? I've been reading that for a couple of days as I am about to do the timing on my 99 SC4 soon .
Old 06-13-10 | 01:09 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

I have no idea whats up with this thing, I started getting it off, decided I'll do it the way my pops wanted to do it, now I have a broken AC condensor and its still stuck in there. ****ing great.
Old 06-13-10 | 01:17 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Well, keep us posted... I guess i'll find out myself whats up when I do mine in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-13-10 | 01:31 PM
BALConnell
Pole Position

Default The hydro pump is not so easily removed

Hey Bro,
You will need to completly remove the A/C Compressor, if you don't want to crack the lines, it will need to be tied to the side out of the way, but it must be removed, and the bracket the A/C compressor mounts to, is the hydro pump. The hydro pump has mounting tabs for the compressor hince without that comprerssor out of the way, no go on removing the Hydro pump. You also have to remove all of the front engine lower covers, but if have removed the crank, than I'm sure you have done that already. Working on the this stuff with the motor in the car, Well It ain't easy, but what in life is, but it can be done.
Regards
Bart
Old 06-13-10 | 01:38 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BALConnell
Hey Bro,
You will need to completly remove the A/C Compressor, if you don't want to crack the lines, it will need to be tied to the side out of the way, but it must be removed, and the bracket the A/C compressor mounts to, is the hydro pump. The hydro pump has mounting tabs for the compressor hince without that comprerssor out of the way, no go on removing the Hydro pump. You also have to remove all of the front engine lower covers, but if have removed the crank, than I'm sure you have done that already. Working on the this stuff with the motor in the car, Well It ain't easy, but what in life is, but it can be done.
Regards
Bart
I'm working on getting the very last bolt on the ac compressor out, I forgot to put the crank shaft at 0 when I pulled the pulley off, and I already removed the timing belt from the cams (another one of my pops great ideas) am I ****ed or is there something I have to do differently?
Old 06-13-10 | 01:58 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

your motor is non interference thus you will never make contact between the piston and the valve no matter if you rotate the crank or the cams separately.

set the crank to 0* and cams to the correct position. it all has marks. the new belt you get also should have marks for crank and cam alignment.

depending on the brand they might actually be off. if that happens you wont have engine damage but you will get a CEL code and poor performance.

i know that OEM belts and Continental timing belt kits are awesome. they use the same tensioner and idlers as oem. the Mitsuboshi belt i used once at work was off on the markings. luckily i have done so many timing to know better and do it by hand.

post a picture of what you are having problems with.
Old 06-27-10 | 03:17 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

accepting paypal for tips? get out of here man. What kind of contribution is that? We're all about helping each other out here LoL..
Old 06-27-10 | 10:36 AM
LiCelsior
Retired
CL Folding 500000

Originally Posted by masagsxr
accepting paypal for tips? get out of here man. What kind of contribution is that? We're all about helping each other out here LoL..
LOL i know...wow thats a first....

hey snakeyes how about donating to the lexls website since u used the tips there?

Last edited by LiCelsior; 06-27-10 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-27-10 | 10:39 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

You do not have to take the ac compressor off. You just have the make sure you got all of the bolts off of the pulley bracket including the one from underneath near the oil filter and the one that connects the compressor and the bracket. Then loosen the back bolt on the compressor a little and it will drop down a few mm in the front, allowing you to slide it out.
Old 06-27-10 | 10:42 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

Yeah I got it like a week ago lol, just had to drop the front of the ac compressor and loosen the back. putting the belt on and getting it lined up was much easier than I thought, took me like 15 minutes.