SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power to Weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 08:33 PM
STRTORPTR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jikit
The question at what power level is conceivable to compensate for the weight?
What do you mean?

I could be a smart-*** and say that the fact that the car can move at all is enough to compensate for its mass. But we both know that that isn't what your are talking about.

Is the question about how power do you need to get a certain speed? If so, you need to ask yourself another question first: How fast do you want to go?

Also, just my opinion, but having it all boil down to a "power/weight ratio" is an oversimplification that more often than not loses races. Traction and gearing are both very important factors that most amateurs that track their cars overlook. Putting the power down effectively and efficiently is more important than any overestimated ratio. Otherwise, you'd just be spinning the tires of needlessly-stripped car in a smoking, screeching mess.
Old 06-16-10, 07:32 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is something to think about.

If you double the weight ,you'll need 4x power.
Old 06-16-10, 09:10 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im one of those people who loves thowing stuff out of my ride that i dont find necesary, Cruise control ,Heavy stereo,Grip handles,rear seat belts ,even changing over to a single side exhaust (next on my list)
I havent taken out the A.C as of yet but i know sooner or later it will go . My car is Bone stock so every ounce counts to me . I also think of it as me saving money on gas and making my car stop better.