SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power to Weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 09:55 AM
Jikit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power to Weight

The question always boils down to power to weight... power to weight. That ratio is pretty interesting to me currently my car is pushing about 340 HP. I have an entire fuel injection system that will give between 600-700 HP to go with my the Turbo hooked up to my 2JZ. A Nos set up is also in my future. The question at what power level is conceivable to compensate for the weight?
Old 06-14-10, 10:59 AM
djb5118
Lead Lap

that's kind of an arbitrary question. it all depends on how fast you want your car to be. There is no set number that need to hit to compensate for how heavy the car is.

You could pick a car that you want to compare to, and calculate it. power/weight is exactly how it sounds, divide the power to weight and compare how many hp you have per pound.
Old 06-14-10, 12:19 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

IMHO, torque is where is at, and more specifically, LOW END torque. You can have tons of HP and still not have the feeling that your car is QUICK; particularly if it's a heavy car. It can be plenty FAST, with lots of top end, but it may still disappoint from lower rpm's.

A lot ultimately depends on what you're trying to do; do you want a dyno queen with a graph that looks like telephone pole, a dragster with a TH400 and a 4K stall, or a seriously potent daily driver? Not being able to reliably hook up under boost until 4th is pretty tiresome. I much prefer a continuous, usable pull than an explosion at 4500 rpm. I'd sacrifice bigger hp numbers for a bigger, more usable torque curve any day . . . PARTICULARLY if it's a heavy car.

$.02
Old 06-14-10, 12:25 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
IMHO, torque is where is at, and more specifically, LOW END torque. You can have tons of HP and still not have the feeling that your car is QUICK; particularly if it's a heavy car. It can be plenty FAST, with lots of top end, but it may still disappoint from lower rpm's.

A lot ultimately depends on what you're trying to do; do you want a dyno queen with a graph that looks like telephone pole, a dragster with a TH400 and a 4K stall, or a seriously potent daily driver? Not being able to reliably hook up under boost until 4th is pretty tiresome. I much prefer a continuous, usable pull than an explosion at 4500 rpm. I'd sacrifice bigger hp numbers for a bigger, more usable torque curve any day . . . PARTICULARLY if it's a heavy car.

$.02
VERY well said.
Old 06-14-10, 01:19 PM
cino21
Pole Position

^^^^^^^^^shibby
Old 06-14-10, 01:52 PM
Jikit
Rookie

Originally Posted by good2go

$.02
I'd rather have a mixture of the dyno queen and the dragster.
Old 06-14-10, 01:55 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

^^ at least you're honest LOL
Old 06-14-10, 08:53 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot who's sig it is...but goes like this..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you move it"

Id rather push it far than hit and fast lol
Old 06-14-10, 09:20 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

^^ another (along that line) is: 'Torque is what gets you going, and HP is what keeps you going.'
Old 06-14-10, 10:06 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

or "Horsepower wins shows, torque wins races"
Old 06-15-10, 12:15 AM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jikit
The question at what power level is conceivable to compensate for the weight?
this questions does not make sense. power in terms of what to weight? when it reaches positive values that cancels out weight or etc...?

imo, it dosn't really matter. Just take it to the track and use that as a measuring gauge instead of a vague and arbitrary ratio
Old 06-15-10, 07:27 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

actually I think its closer to... Hp wins the shows, Tq wins the races... Who cares about HP, its just a function of tq.... RPM x TQ / 5252 = HP....
Old 06-15-10, 08:54 AM
countrygre
Rookie

tq could make you crash too, tq is how hard the speed comes on,i will like a lil combination of both, not to much tq, caz tq break parts and not everybody could handle it, 450hp with some tq is more than plenty and fun for me on the street, if i want a dyno and drag car, i will get a tube chasis drag car, a 800hp and above is a drag car to me,
Old 06-15-10, 09:43 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by countrygre
tq could make you crash too, tq is how hard the speed comes on,i will like a lil combination of both, not to much tq, caz tq break parts and not everybody could handle it, 450hp with some tq is more than plenty and fun for me on the street, if i want a dyno and drag car, i will get a tube chasis drag car, a 800hp and above is a drag car to me,

Torque can make you crash? Poor driving makes you crash. Torque is the force that turns or rotates things. Its a number that describes the amount of force multiplied by the the distance from the center point of where you are measuring from.

Horsepower is JUST a number DERIVED from TORQUE. Its just a formula, like I said in my previous post - HP = RPM x TQ(at that RPM) / 5252.

So saying having a lot of horse power with some torque is ideal.. but its a big *** misconception..... i really depends on where the engine makes its peak torque @ that certain rpm, etc... think of diesel engines... Most make all their power below that magic 5252 number, therefor shows that has MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF TORQUE with low hp numbers. Its all due to that awesome formula I posted.

Google it, take the information as you wish, but knowing is good for anyone.
Old 06-15-10, 11:16 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
... Who cares about HP, its just a function of tq....
Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Horsepower is JUST a number DERIVED from TORQUE. Its just a formula, like I said in my previous post - HP = RPM x TQ(at that RPM) / 5252.
lol, I guess we can thank mass marketing for this apparent confusion to the masses. I always found it easier to explain it as:

torque is the real twisting force, hp is just a measurement of torque applied over a period of time

Quick Reply: Power to Weight