SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Biggest Headache..SC HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 02:16 PM
SOLEdier
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Biggest Headache..SC HELP

the car is clicking when i try to start it, and something is draining the battery. it only starts when it gets jump started, but falls around 500rpm and then just drops slowly when the jumper cables are taken off.ive gone through 2 batterys already (the power cells were messed up), and now the battery it has just starts to drain. as of now the battery is almost dead and i will need 2 charge it or get a new 1.

idk what its is ive searched for answers but just cant come to a conclusion to what it is. ive read alternator which imo sounds like possible suspect for the clicking and not starting problem but idk whats up with the battery draining. help needed cant stand not driving her
Old 06-14-10, 02:20 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if your alternator is shot...it's not charging your battery.
change alternator.
Old 06-14-10, 02:26 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

If you jump your car and it runs fine, but dies after sitting for an hour and wont restart without another jump, its your battery.

If it doesnt charge while driving and the car shuts down on its own, its your alt.
Old 06-14-10, 02:36 PM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked the voltage while the car is running? It should be about 13.5-14.5v.
Old 06-14-10, 05:11 PM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

I just had this issue about a month ago and it was my alternator that had old grease in it and grinding the internals. It might still be tested and say its good but you wont know until you get it open.
Old 06-14-10, 05:25 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SH_JZZ30
Have you checked the voltage while the car is running? It should be about 13.5-14.5v.
do what he said..
Old 06-14-10, 05:45 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Just a long shot... but the only other time I've seen this was on my buddies ES300, it turned out to be the stock amplifier was jacked and robbing the battery.
Old 06-14-10, 06:37 PM
SOLEdier
Driver

Originally Posted by RawkusX187
I just had this issue about a month ago and it was my alternator that had old grease in it and grinding the internals. It might still be tested and say its good but you wont know until you get it open.
should i open it up and try to clean it up. is it hard to take apart and put back together?

Originally Posted by SH_JZZ30
i have to check that

Originally Posted by romycha1
Just a long shot... but the only other time I've seen this was on my buddies ES300, it turned out to be the stock amplifier was jacked and robbing the battery.
how did he findout thats what it was.....
Old 06-14-10, 07:04 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

do you hear noise comming from your trunk? it might be ur stock cd player, mine was messed up and kept making noises, someone thought there was someone locked in my trunk
Old 06-14-10, 07:45 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chnk
do you hear noise comming from your trunk? it might be ur stock cd player, mine was messed up and kept making noises, someone thought there was someone locked in my trunk
damn noisy hookers
Old 06-14-10, 07:53 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SOLEdier
how did he findout thats what it was.....
Finally broke down and took it to the dealership.. He didn't have the money to fix it right away, so he just rolled with the amp disconnected and no audio for a few weeks.
Old 06-14-10, 07:56 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok, yes a FUBAR'd stock amp or cd changer would drain the battery, but its not at all what he is describing..

Having the rpms drop like that means there is a strain somewhere. Take it somewhere if possible to have a load tester put on it (puts an electrical load on the system to the point it effects the RPM's) and see how it does. If the car dies, which I have a feeling it will, its your alt.

Also with the load tester (provided the alt. checks out fine), if the equipment is up to date enough, it will show voltage flow from the alt to the batter, and from the battery if there is a drain.

I highly doubt its your stock amp/cd changer/headunit/etc..
Old 06-15-10, 07:43 AM
SOLEdier
Driver

Originally Posted by chnk
wooo i have no noises coming from the trunk though lol

Originally Posted by romycha1
Finally broke down and took it to the dealership.. He didn't have the money to fix it right away, so he just rolled with the amp disconnected and no audio for a few weeks.
well i gotta see if i can get that tested

Originally Posted by turbodremz
ok, yes a FUBAR'd stock amp or cd changer would drain the battery, but its not at all what he is describing..

Having the rpms drop like that means there is a strain somewhere. Take it somewhere if possible to have a load tester put on it (puts an electrical load on the system to the point it effects the RPM's) and see how it does. If the car dies, which I have a feeling it will, its your alt.

Also with the load tester (provided the alt. checks out fine), if the equipment is up to date enough, it will show voltage flow from the alt to the batter, and from the battery if there is a drain.

I highly doubt its your stock amp/cd changer/headunit/etc..
as of now im not driving the car i took off the alt so ima see if i can get it tested/fixxed/replaced hopefully that is the problem and once i get the car rolling im do that load tester to see if there is any further problems.

i noticed when i did jump the car the rpms fell to 500 but bounced back to 1000 and stayed there until the cables came off. once they came off the car idled at 500 and slowly fell lower until i turned the ac on and it completely shut off....
Old 06-15-10, 12:24 PM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldnt open it but it tested at a local auto parts they usually do free bench test. What I can conclude that if your battery is dieing is cause you're not getting any charge from the system. Look around the alt and check if you see old grease around the brushes. Cleaning you alt wont make it lost any longer.
Old 06-16-10, 09:37 AM
SOLEdier
Driver

alright changed the alt the car is now running fine

the only thing no is that the serpentine belt is making the loudest screech. im guessing i have to change the belt hopefully and not the bearings or pulleys

Quick Reply: Biggest Headache..SC HELP