SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Determining VBand Clamp Size's

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 11:01 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Determining VBand Clamp Size's

Ok i getting alittle pissed about ordering the wrong parts. Ok i got a 3inch downpipe for my Na-T setup and the inner diameter is 3inch so i emailed them to see what size Vband to get and they said 3inch. i order a 3 inch VBand and its to small are you supposed to go by the outer diameter when ordering the vband? And im assuming that downpipes go by the inner when listing its vband size since the seller said 3 inch VBand.

Another thing im about to buy a turbo And ive been looking at 3 inch Vband ones. are they refferring to the inner diameter or the outer.

The downpipe measured 3inch inner and right about 3 3/4 outer diameter. what size turbo vband should i be looking for? im thinking the turbo listings are referring to inner diameter as well. but im not sure and need some help before i order more wrong ****.
Old 06-16-10, 11:22 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

the clamp its self is to small or the ring doesnt match up with the turbo?
Old 06-17-10, 12:44 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

get 3.5 inch v band.
Old 06-17-10, 12:48 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post ,,,

The 3inch VBand that i purchased wont go around the downpipe that i have. The downpipe has a 3inch inner diameter and the outer diameter is right around 3 3/4 inch. The reason why i got the 3inch vband is because the people i got the downpipe from said thats what i need.

obviously i need a different one, but what size? and when people list there turbos with a 3 inch vband is that the inner or outer diameter they are referring to. i guessing inner and thats what i would need to get to match the inner diameter of my downpipe. i havent purchased the turbo yet and didnt wanna purchase one with wrong vband size.

Thanks for replying also.

Last edited by SpiderN9NE; 06-17-10 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-17-10, 12:51 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
get 3.5 inch v band.
what should i be looking for with buying the turbo? when they list the turbo as having a 3 inch vband outlet are they referring to inner diameter (matching inner diameter of downpipe) and the lip would accommodate the 3.5 inch vband as you stated to get?

EDITED: clearing up question.

Last edited by SpiderN9NE; 06-17-10 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-17-10, 03:52 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

from the measurement you stated, it seems that the 3.5"v-band would do the trick.
Old 06-17-10, 10:03 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post Sorry

Originally Posted by SpiderN9NE
what should i be looking for with buying the turbo? when they list the turbo as having a 3 inch vband outlet are they referring to inner diameter (matching inner diameter of downpipe) and the lip would accommodate the 3.5 inch vband as you stated to get?

EDITED: clearing up question.
Sorry to drag this out but i dont wanna end up with the wrong turbo and have to cut and reweld my downpipe. because i messed up again.

So when buying a tubo i need one that says 3 inch V Band, because they are referring to the inner diameter. and the extra lip would be like what i have on my downpipe, 3inch inner and 3 3/4 with the lip making the 3.5 fit over both?

Last edited by SpiderN9NE; 06-17-10 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-17-10, 10:14 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpiderN9NE
Ok i getting alittle pissed about ordering the wrong parts. Ok i got a 3inch downpipe for my Na-T setup and the inner diameter is 3inch so i emailed them to see what size Vband to get and they said 3inch. i order a 3 inch VBand and its to small are you supposed to go by the outer diameter when ordering the vband? And im assuming that downpipes go by the inner when listing its vband size since the seller said 3 inch VBand.

Another thing im about to buy a turbo And ive been looking at 3 inch Vband ones. are they refferring to the inner diameter or the outer.

The downpipe measured 3inch inner and right about 3 3/4 outer diameter. what size turbo vband should i be looking for? im thinking the turbo listings are referring to inner diameter as well. but im not sure and need some help before i order more wrong ****.
3.75 is a weird size for OD.

exhaust pipes are measured on the OD.
soooo say you have a 3" exhaust pipe...that's 3" OD.
if you need to buy a V-band flange/kit then the flanges will have a 3" ID so you can fit your 3" pipe on to it.

are you 100% sure you're at 3.75 on the OD?
Old 06-17-10, 10:36 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post uploading pics

uploading pics now
Old 06-17-10, 10:49 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post Pics

Inner pic

Outer pic

Old 06-17-10, 12:29 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pls take a side shot.

that's a 3" pipe.
so "technically" a 3" v-band clamp should work there.
where did you get that v-band flange from?

have you looked at ATP turbo for the clamp?
Old 06-17-10, 06:41 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Default Well

The flange came on the downpipe complete and welded. instead of ordering another and taking a chance i went out to a couple of places and NAPA ended up having one.

the one that didnt fit was a OBX 3inch-3.31 V Band.

The one from napa is 3.5 - 3.88 i think they said. i tighten it down with just the one side since i dont have my turbo yet. and its pretty tight so i know with the other side it should be fine. I HOPE. LOL

Heres the OBX

Here is the one from NAPA

Here is a full side as requested.
Old 06-17-10, 09:43 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

yea the napa one is right its 3.5 its right use it and your done.. and YOUR WELCOME lol told you its 3.5" :P same DP as me too.
Old 06-18-10, 12:08 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
yea the napa one is right its 3.5 its right use it and your done.. and YOUR WELCOME lol told you its 3.5" :P same DP as me too.
Hell yeah. i never doubted you dude. i just finished responding to the other guys post. And also was tryin to figure what turbo i should be looking for, as far as Vband advertising. if they say 3 inch vband are they referring to the inner diameter like they did with my downpipe? or do i need a turbo with 3.5 vband? This is why the thread is still going. someone let me know.

Thanks Cleanshots
Old 06-18-10, 01:32 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

v-band sizing is based on the outside diameter of the v-band flange. in your case its 3.75 but a 3.5 clamp works on it. different flanges have different thicknesses. so measure its diameter, or measure its circumference and take that number and divide it by 3.14. usually they provide both OD and ID so there is no mistakes. id suggest taking the inside and outside diameters average and getting a clamp that fits that size. usually when your buying them tho they come as a set so the measurement provided is the piping size. because whatever your buying comes all together. 2 flanges and a clamp as a pack. its confusing but that's the way it is.

LONG STORY SHORT FLANGES ARE BY ID CLAMPS ARE BY OD OF THE FLANGE.

i think i may do my whole exhaust with v-bands now that there is soo much talk about this..

ninja edit for my fantastic reading skills... um you need a 3" exhaust turbo. cause then the v-band flange will be the 3.5 if you get 3.5" turbo exhaust the v-band flange will be 4"

Last edited by Cleanshots; 06-18-10 at 02:33 AM.