SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

funny sounds

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-02, 04:14 PM
PearlSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question funny sounds

I have a 94 SC400 with 70K miles. Bought it several months ago. Since purchase I have noticed a loud clicking sound when the engine is hot, while it is running and after turning off the engine. I think it is the catalytic converter but it is louder and last longer than other cars. Is it normal in the SC or something is wrong with the catalytic converter? The car otherwise runs fine and the temperature gauge shows normal temp.

The other problem is when the starting out in the morning at low speed there would be a repeated clunking sound from the front esp. when I am turning while braking. The sound disappears after driven for a while. There is no evidence of power steering fluid leak. The similar sound occurs under hard braking. Is it the ABS system or the steering problem?

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-26-02, 07:39 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that my '93 sure creaks and snaps a lot after I shut it off, especially if I've been driving in traffic and the exhaust system is really hot - it's the multitude of heat shields cooling off and creaking like an old stovepipe. Somebody else on the forum said "Just take 'em off," but I wouldn't - they help keep all that exhaust heat out of the cabin. I remember driving with "hotfoot" in the summer in old sportscars like MGBs, and my old Alfa too - but I haven't noticed that noise going on before I shut it off.

The other clunk-clunk thing? Clueless.
Old 07-08-02, 09:06 PM
akmpres
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunk or creak?

in my 92 in the morning when car is cold, going over a speed bump or something like that the front end makes like a creak sound, after a while it goes away, my thought is that the front shocks are just cold and creaky, and after a while they just loosen up, but thats just a laymans thought.