SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do not change ur fuel filter!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 07:31 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spooled
I feel like i could do this w/o saying a single curse word. IDK what you guys are encountering. I've done over 50 fuel filters for Toyota in my time and havent had one that has kicked my *** nearly as much as you have made the SC300 seem. IDK if its having a lift and an onslaught of Snap-On tools at my disposal, or what.

When I do mine, I might just have to show you the sandwich I have in my other hand while Im replacing it.
^funniest reply in this whole frikkin thread.

I just bought a filter myself. i should be doing mines later this week.
Old 06-23-10, 09:35 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i lol at all of you that get soaked in gasoline, your all forgetting the first step to release the pressure in the system. before you remove the filter pull the fuel pump fuse out from under the hood and try to start the car till it stalls. also wait till your nearly out of gas.
The following users liked this post:
smm3 (02-27-20)
Old 06-23-10, 09:41 PM
RGW LLC
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or just don't change it...haha, we had many customer's SC300/SC400 in here for service, prob 7 out the 10 NEVER changed, and none of them ever had any problems......they will have other problem like alternator or AC recharge or something else before they need the fuel filter.....highest mileage one has over 360k miles, original owner & original filter, NEVER changed before, and car runs like new, so don't change it until you need it.....
Old 06-23-10, 11:19 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I had extreme chemical burns where the top layer of my whole arm was destroyed...
Old 06-23-10, 11:32 PM
Bundi904
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question my 92 sc400 has a miss fire i replaced plugs, wires, caps, rotors, coils, fuel pump, filter, ecu mudule, rebuilt the computer, and it still mis fires any suggestions?
Old 06-24-10, 07:36 AM
S142jz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundi904
I have a question my 92 sc400 has a miss fire i replaced plugs, wires, caps, rotors, coils, fuel pump, filter, ecu mudule, rebuilt the computer, and it still mis fires any suggestions?
Huuuuuuuu. Tough one. Have u checked for vaccume leaks
Old 06-24-10, 09:15 AM
Bundi904
Driver School Candidate

I have had it put on the diagnostic machine at lexus 3 times. Would they have told me that when i floor it it back fires slightly. Please help
Shajay69 (11-21-21)
Old 06-24-10, 09:55 AM
Murvilboy
Driver

i chagned my fuel filter yesterday and its a good possibility this was an original filter. that thing was hard to get loose and once it was out there were no markings on it like they rubbed off. you should have seen the garbage that was at the bottom of the drain pan it was pretty epic. i had no problems with losing any gas just whatever was in the filter. i loosened my gas cap too so had no problems here.
Old 07-09-10, 04:36 PM
SC YAA
Pole Position

Yeah i had to change mine yesterday omg what a nightmare i had a full tank of gas and by the time i was done i had a half tank left.
Old 07-09-10, 05:50 PM
ZPEED
Driver

use this 2 tools , A. Plier is for gas line plug and A.wrench is for filter nut to hold.
http://www.indiamart.com/company/231...justable-plier
smm3 (02-27-20)
Old 07-09-10, 06:19 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah i remember I burned the hell out of my arm doing this when I did the swap....no fun.
Old 07-09-10, 07:57 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

just did mine the other day, bunch of stuff actually, new Distributor cap and rotor, NGK plugs, NGK wires, and new fuel filter..

best advice i can give on the fuel filter is, put sweatbands on your wrist or tie rags around them to keep gas from running down your arms.. Use gloves if you can..
have a bucket or pan ready to catch fuel..

I used a 14" open ended wrench and a pair of vice grips, i started off with a adjustable wrench instead of the vice grips, but the vice grips worked way better...

also a flare nut wrench would definetly be better then a open ended wrench but its all i had..

Name:  DSC00234.jpg
Views: 14381
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  DSC00235.jpg
Views: 13284
Size:  68.8 KB

mine must have been changed before cause the bolt was missing from the bracket, and the fuel filter was on backwards...
smm3 (02-27-20)
Old 07-09-10, 08:02 PM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

backwards? thats hilarious. I guess it doesnt matter because you didnt notice it before. you sir are also missing a body plug.
Old 07-09-10, 10:43 PM
SC YAA
Pole Position

Yeah i no that is def the best way to get that ****er off! mine was so rusty that as we were taking it off it fell apart like no joke!

Originally Posted by aka paco
just did mine the other day, bunch of stuff actually, new Distributor cap and rotor, NGK plugs, NGK wires, and new fuel filter..

best advice i can give on the fuel filter is, put sweatbands on your wrist or tie rags around them to keep gas from running down your arms.. Use gloves if you can..
have a bucket or pan ready to catch fuel..

I used a 14" open ended wrench and a pair of vice grips, i started off with a adjustable wrench instead of the vice grips, but the vice grips worked way better...

also a flare nut wrench would definetly be better then a open ended wrench but its all i had..

mine must have been changed before cause the bolt was missing from the bracket, and the fuel filter was on backwards...
Old 07-10-10, 08:01 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300guy89
Yeah i no that is def the best way to get that ****er off! mine was so rusty that as we were taking it off it fell apart like no joke!
lol yeah well i seen Red Phoenix had to rig his up because he ended up having to cut his lines, before i started i was full prepared for something like that.. I definetly wouldn't tackle it assuming it was going to work out perfectly

Quick Reply: Do not change ur fuel filter!!!!!!