SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Which turbo to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 01:39 PM
Allaretake
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Cleanshots, I looked through the entirety of the w58 vs r154 transmission thread and the only definitive answer over which is better is that the r154 can handle more strain. However, I'm not looking to boost my car to the point where it suffers the same problems as a thoroughbred horse where the muscles are so big that they cause the joints and tendons to collapse.

Let's say I don't even go through with the turbo. Would you still go with the R154 over the W58 at all costs?
Old 06-25-10, 02:23 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allaretake
Thank you so much for all the info. However, why is the R154 mandatory over the W58? I assumed that since those were put in the turbo charged Supras they'd be damn near indestructible.
W58's were for the N/A Supras.

I'm going to say it again, hate to sound like an *** but seriously, search please.

RESEARCH or pick up an factory turbocharged manual car.
Old 06-25-10, 08:18 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok Cleanshots, I looked through the entirety of the w58 vs r154 transmission thread and the only definitive answer over which is better is that the r154 can handle more strain. However, I'm not looking to boost my car to the point where it suffers the same problems as a thoroughbred horse where the muscles are so big that they cause the joints and tendons to collapse.

Let's say I don't even go through with the turbo. Would you still go with the R154 over the W58 at all costs?
id say if you wanna keep it NA then go with w58, if you EVER have any thoughts of doing turbo in the future go r154. if you wanna swap a turbo and a manual and you dont wanna do it send the car here to me and we will write a contract and we will get the conversion started. ill swap the manual and the motor.

im probably the most patient person here although its annoying as **** when people dont search. i grantee you if you search this forum, club na-t and supra forums then alot of these questions will be answered.

again if you dono how to do this properly pm me and sent your car over here. id say one month and it will be done just because i have to order the parts. once the parts come then its a quick process. PM me i will give you details. and also a free labor deal.......
Old 06-26-10, 05:22 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Cleanshots gave me the same lecture about the whole w58 deal. In some ways he is right and in other ways, ill respectfully disagree. You could possible get away boosting your car with the W58 IF you are nice to the tranny. Dont do burnouts or dump the clutch at 11 billion rpm and you might be ok at 300-400 hp.

I daily my car, make 400, and only race from rolls...and my W58 has been holding up for a long a** time without ay hiccups. I know a bunch of boosted SCs down here who make good power with the W58. IMO, its all about how you treat the car.

Now with that said. Once you decide to turn up the boost, which i garuntee you will, you will need a stronger tranny. The R154 is known to handle 700ish rwhp with relative ease.

Im going single soon so a R154 is a must for me. Luckily i snagged a mint Soarer tranny.
Old 06-26-10, 07:28 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

i blew my w58 with stock gte and 15psi from a 40 roll... but im talking to original poster via PM.
Old 06-26-10, 09:13 PM
Przsc300
Driver School Candidate

If your from Ca and you want to do a GTE check out Attarco.com they have a lower milage GTE for about 1500 no harness and no ecu but if your in norcal they will deliver pretty cheap. 1jz is probably the most common route and least expensive from what I
hear.
Old 06-26-10, 11:25 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

attarco is frekkin morons and thats retarded there is no harness no ecu and on top of that a harness has to be made and an ignitor is needed. why are you giving advice we dont even know who you are, and if you would have took 22 seconds to read you would see that he is in texas. stop trying to get your post count up.
Old 06-27-10, 02:09 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

All I can say is when an OP starts a thread title with which turbo should I buy, then posts up links of ebay, DM, chinese knock off crap and starts to say that $4500.00 for a turbo kit is expensive.... the thread is simply gonna end up bad. DM does use garrett internals but Ive yet to see dynos of there turbo setups. XS power atleast has tons of users.

A basic STOCK(320 hp) 2jzgte swap with someone else installing it is going to run you a minimum of $4-6k depending on how crappy they do the job and the stuff you replace. Plus you have an automatic. Add another $2k for the conversion or more assuming you cant do it your self. That will be the most reliable turbo setup for your car.

Na-t done right with installation will run about the same as a swap before stand alone and tuning. Judging by your questions I am pricing this based on a person who CANNOT do any of the above installations for them selves.

So now that know just how much money your about to spend under the hood, not to mention on suspension, wheels and other exterior additions the new 2011 mustang GT (420hp) financed for a measly 30k seems pretty cheap now, huh? 12's and reliable from the factory. Just doesnt sound as cool as a 2jzgte with open wastegate and a large single how ever.
Old 06-27-10, 02:43 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

i offered to do everything, 1jzgte with r154 for 4500 all done... and he said he doesnt have 4500 for engine swap, he is obviously not interested. mods please close thread
Old 06-27-10, 05:42 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

He shouldn't even bother with boosting if hes asking such questions.

Cleanshots, I'd be down to drive up to NorCal and swap once I get the $ LOL
Old 06-27-10, 06:07 PM
Allaretake
Driver

Yeah, I must be an incompetent jerkoff for simply asking experts in the field what to expect when doing a **** ton of work on my car which seems to grow and grow with each new bit of information that I receive.

Like I said in my first post Cleanshots, I'd be getting an internship next summer and right now the 4.5k would require me to sell my Krugerrand (which is steadily increasing in value) and liquidate my stocks which just dropped in value by about by about 700 dollars, leaving me with just the money in my bank account.

And Suicidn, there's no reason to act like a pretentious ******* towards my inability to operate on cars properly, even though I previously admitted that I don't have the expertise.

If I had known how big your inflated egos were I sure as hell would never have even bothered to ask since it's clearly too much to ask childish adults for help, which is the entire point of this forum.

Last edited by Allaretake; 06-27-10 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-27-10, 07:53 PM
schef300
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I must be an incompetent jerkoff for simply asking experts in the field what to expect when doing a **** ton of work on my car which seems to grow and grow with each new bit of information that I receive.

Like I said in my first post Cleanshots, I'd be getting an internship next summer and right now the 4.5k would require me to sell my Krugerrand (which is steadily increasing in value) and liquidate my stocks which just dropped in value by about by about 700 dollars, leaving me with just the money in my bank account.

And Suicidn, there's no reason to act like a pretentious ******* towards my inability to operate on cars properly, even though I previously admitted that I don't have the expertise.

If I had known how big your inflated egos were I sure as hell would never have even bothered to ask since it's clearly too much to ask childish adults for help, which is the entire point of this forum.
do you know what i did when i didnt know anything?

i changed my oil then my valve covers, then my rack and pinion.
then last but not least. have you done all of the above?