SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Jdm MOtors swappable to SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-02, 12:09 PM
ICeD SC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jdm MOtors swappable to SC300?

is it possible to swap in a JDM 2JZGTE OR 1JZGTE into a 97 sc300 or is it too difficult for the ecu to work right??

what needs to be changed for a 1jzgte to work correctly? and has this swap been done in the US? thanks in advance guuys
Old 06-29-02, 04:13 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well we (LexusSC400.com) just swapped a J-Spec Supra TT engine into our 92 SC300.

Don't know all the details since I'm a SC4 owner but it runs like a dream! Smooth like a baby's bottom!

Tony
Old 06-29-02, 07:54 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Iced...

The 1JZGTE shouldn't be a problem. If you buy a Soarer 2.5GT front cut with the electronics and gearbox you should be set. But always remember, in JDM spec cars, there is that bastard ECU with all the limiters under the sun... 180km/h speed limiter, 1.0bar boost limiter etc etc...

Still... with the 1JZ in the SC it would be pretty quick for a car as large n heavy as the Soarer.
Old 06-29-02, 10:28 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by LS400 GOD
Finding parts for the 1JZ-GTE will be very difficult since it is a discontinued engine and not very popular here it the States. Your best bet would be to swap in a 2jz-gte since Supras are still very popular and you have plenty of parts to work with.
I agree that the 2JZ would be easier to work with, but the 1JZ is still actually being built, if not in Soarer form. It's still being made for the Mark II in Japan (would've been Toyota Cressida everywhere else).

Here's the lowdown on the engine...

1JZGTE (MkI)
- Straight 6 intercooled twin turbo 24v
- Restricted 280PS (about 276hp) and around 362Nm torque
1JZGTE (MkII)
- Straight 6 intercooled single turbo 24v, VVTi
- Restricted 280PS and around 380Nm torque (around that figure)

The differences are that obviously the switch from twin to single turbo, addition of variable cam timing and a host of other differences, including different automatic transmission behaviour (ECT in the MkI 1JZ against the ECT-iE MkII 1JZ), not too sure about the 5-speed manual though.

I do agree that the 1JZ may be a rare engine for conversions in the USA, however they are more available than the 2JZ if it is being imported from Japan.

A 1JZ front cut should be in the form of anything from:
- Soarer 2.5GT (JZZ30)
- Supra 2.5GT (JZA70)
- Mark II Tourer V / Chaser Tourer V / Cresta Tourer V (JZX90~110)
while a 2JZ front cut should be available from:
- Supra RZ (JZA80)
- Aristo V300 (JZS160~161)

Both the JDM 1JZ and 2JZ engine/box/electronics are usually available in Australian wreckers... the 1JZ (MkI) usually retailes for around $1900AUD, while the later model goes for around $2500~3000... I am not too sure about the price of the 2JZ but they are definitely more expensive than the MkI 1JZ, probably closer, but still more expensive, than the 1JZ VVTi...

BTW Iced, if you're going to do the engine swap, I'd recommend:
- 1JZGTE (MkI/MkII): Try to get a package that includes the transmission and ECU as I don't think the US-spec ECU will run the JDM engine. The 1JZ consequently will usually only be available with auto tranny, but if you're able to source a manual, the A'PEXi Power FC is a drop in replacement, according to A'PEXi.
- 2JZGTE: This should be able to run with your stock ECU (I think), but it's always better to run the car using an aftermarket ECU in this case.
Old 06-30-02, 07:49 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default A standard 1JZ...

Well, to give you some performance figures for a 1JZ in a "heavy" SC/Soarer. Most of the lightly modded SC's running a 1JZ-GTE in Australia/Melbourne (or people that I know) are running mid 13 ET with standard auto engine.

To get a Mid 13 ET from a standard 1JZ-GTE, here's a description :
- Mine is a 93 model GT-L with TEMS
- 3" cat back exhaust (It's HKS but has too many bends in my opinion, although it is quiet)
- pod filter with ghetto cold air induction.
- Boosted to 12 PSI.

To get lower times, I'd need to get aftermarket ECU or piggy back computer like an SAFC/ITC/AVC-R and probably a larger cooler as the standard one sux ***.

Then I'd be in low 13's/high 12's terriroty with a pretty much standard engine thats Auto. If I had a manual transmission... hmmm... the possibilities. (My auto is standard, no new torque converter or any of those tricks).

Toan.
Old 06-30-02, 10:29 AM
ICeD SC300
Driver School Candidate

wow seems like better off getting a 2jzgte ... also thinking of a toyomoto turbo kit but my car is auto so not to sure if it can handle the power....thoughts?
Old 06-30-02, 05:17 PM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Yeah...

If you're going for all out power, swapping a 1JZ-GTE or even a 2JZ-GTE into your SC wouldnt be worthwhile as it's only a 2-3 second drop in 1/4 mile times. For that amount of folding stuff I'd get a turbo kit for the SC300. Engine swaps are always expensive, but you have the option of having a spare engine lying around to mess with which is always cool. Get a Turbo kit and a manual shifter kit.

The 1JZ-GTE is still a good engine tho, and it's easy to get power out of. I've spend a total of AUS$200 (pod filter and boost as exhaust was already on car when I got it) on engine mods (US$110) and have a relatively quick street car that can pull mid 13's all day every day. This aint exactly fast, but for US$110 in mods on a stock automatic car, it's pretty dammn good.

Toan.
Old 03-18-03, 11:40 PM
j0hnyboi
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you..

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
I agree that the 2JZ would be easier to work with, but the 1JZ is still actually being built, if not in Soarer form. It's still being made for the Mark II in Japan (would've been Toyota Cressida everywhere else).

Here's the lowdown on the engine...

1JZGTE (MkI)
- Straight 6 intercooled twin turbo 24v
- Restricted 280PS (about 276hp) and around 362Nm torque
1JZGTE (MkII)
- Straight 6 intercooled single turbo 24v, VVTi
- Restricted 280PS and around 380Nm torque (around that figure)

The differences are that obviously the switch from twin to single turbo, addition of variable cam timing and a host of other differences, including different automatic transmission behaviour (ECT in the MkI 1JZ against the ECT-iE MkII 1JZ), not too sure about the 5-speed manual though.

I do agree that the 1JZ may be a rare engine for conversions in the USA, however they are more available than the 2JZ if it is being imported from Japan.

A 1JZ front cut should be in the form of anything from:
- Soarer 2.5GT (JZZ30)
- Supra 2.5GT (JZA70)
- Mark II Tourer V / Chaser Tourer V / Cresta Tourer V (JZX90~110)
while a 2JZ front cut should be available from:
- Supra RZ (JZA80)
- Aristo V300 (JZS160~161)

Both the JDM 1JZ and 2JZ engine/box/electronics are usually available in Australian wreckers... the 1JZ (MkI) usually retailes for around $1900AUD, while the later model goes for around $2500~3000... I am not too sure about the price of the 2JZ but they are definitely more expensive than the MkI 1JZ, probably closer, but still more expensive, than the 1JZ VVTi...

BTW Iced, if you're going to do the engine swap, I'd recommend:
- 1JZGTE (MkI/MkII): Try to get a package that includes the transmission and ECU as I don't think the US-spec ECU will run the JDM engine. The 1JZ consequently will usually only be available with auto tranny, but if you're able to source a manual, the A'PEXi Power FC is a drop in replacement, according to A'PEXi.
- 2JZGTE: This should be able to run with your stock ECU (I think), but it's always better to run the car using an aftermarket ECU in this case.
One of the worst things about this forum is people posting information in which they are not 100% sure about. I'm driving a1992 Sc300, and just purchased a 1jz-gte vvt-i 1998 motor from a Japan Chaser. Hmm.. I wonder what that dude was talking about discontinued 1jz engines. There are also several parts you can use from the 2jz-gte engine. The only part I find difficult to get a hold of is the 1jz timing belt. I'm not sure if the 2jz-gte t-belt would work. I'm pretty sure right now that the water pump from the 2jz-gte is interchangable. Thanks ..
Old 03-18-03, 11:48 PM
j0hnyboi
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Yeah...

Originally posted by Toan Nguyen
If you're going for all out power, swapping a 1JZ-GTE or even a 2JZ-GTE into your SC wouldnt be worthwhile as it's only a 2-3 second drop in 1/4 mile times. For that amount of folding stuff I'd get a turbo kit for the SC300. Engine swaps are always expensive, but you have the option of having a spare engine lying around to mess with which is always cool. Get a Turbo kit and a manual shifter kit.

The 1JZ-GTE is still a good engine tho, and it's easy to get power out of. I've spend a total of AUS$200 (pod filter and boost as exhaust was already on car when I got it) on engine mods (US$110) and have a relatively quick street car that can pull mid 13's all day every day. This aint exactly fast, but for US$110 in mods on a stock automatic car, it's pretty dammn good.

Toan.
Toan.. I purchased a Chaser 1998 1jz-gte vvt-i engine for my sc300 us 1992. The engine is on the way from Canada. How difficult is this conversion, and what parts do I need? I'm clueless on how to make my analog speedometer work since the ecu for the 1jz-gte was hooked up running digital speedo on the Chaser. Lastly, I was interested at the part where you said your 1jz-gte can pull 13's all day every day. Can the automatic transmission really hold that much power to run 13's? Have you dynoed your vehicle? What RWHP do you have running 13's?

thanks Toan
Old 03-19-03, 11:15 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

A friend of mine has this in his 93, runs great i should know it was my old engine , looks great in the car it came from a toyota chaser you will have to lengthen the harness and make sure you get the map sensor with your engine. Also make sure the oil pan is to the rear of the engine or use the one on your car
any more ? drop me a pm.
Old 03-19-03, 03:55 PM
lawman
Driver

Default Turbo mag...

Iced,

The March issue of Turbo mag has an article and did this exact swap in a 97 sc300 w/ a 98 soarer vvt-i 2jz-gte j-spec engine. The only problem seemed to be a wireing issue. There was a thread on that Turbo article here a couple weeks ago -
Old 03-19-03, 05:37 PM
BlitzSC
Driver School Candidate

im actually using a jap spec 2jzgte in my sc300 and we havent really come across any problems yes other than you cant use the sc300 or 400 auto tranny without manually shifting it. however if youre gonna stick with auto you can use the Supra TT auto with the driveshaft. the jap spec TT auto will work with the sc400 draveshaft.