SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Can I convert my 98 SC300 to stick?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 04:28 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Can I convert my 98 SC300 to stick?

I was thinking about converting my car to stick so i can learn it lol plus when i drop in the gte motor i can have some fun with it
Old 06-30-10, 04:56 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

98? not possible
Old 06-30-10, 05:00 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JZ block implies you can swap to W58/R154/V160. You will need to work out the CEL implications though since you're OBD2.
Old 06-30-10, 06:51 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start saving for a GTE/V160 and have fun with OBD2.
Old 06-30-10, 08:09 PM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldnt the W55 work too? If im not mistaken thats whats in the is300 with the vvti 2jz-ge. But then again I dont know to much :/
Old 07-01-10, 01:24 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
98? not possible
i hope ur kidding.... ya you can, but id say its a big waste of time. save up for the gte and try using the search button.
Old 07-01-10, 04:47 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post Yes and No

Yes you can but like others have said from being OBD2 AND VVT-i the check engine light from your computer looking for the auto trans will be triggered. I said and VVT-i because if you were 96-97 (which is OBD2)you could just use a 5spd ecu from them years and be fine. But there is no 5spd ecu for or vvt-i motors. Closest possibility is the 01-02 is300. There auto ECU is the same, so ive heard, as our VVT-i years. Dont know how close the 5spd for those years would be. No one has tried and i cant get any info on it other than what i just said.

Im pretty sure DR. Tweak could get it to work with the harness if there was any mods to be made, but that would be more money. and i dont know how bad you want it. You could also go full standalone ECU. but thats alot just to 5spd on NA.

Also thats if you live where the check engine would be a problem for inspection. if not slap it in and ride. with the light on of course.

PS: someone please look into the 01-02 is300 5spd ECU possibility with the 98+ VVT-i SC300's. So the 98+ NA-T guys wont have to eventually go with a swap or standalone to have some fun shifting.
Old 07-01-10, 07:05 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The IS is drive by wire, so that pretty much rules out using their ECU.

I'm curious as to what some of the vvt-i SC4 guys that swapped manuals have done about this.
Old 07-01-10, 07:09 AM
Klaus
Instructor

But.... if you have the cajones to try it, this would be a good start:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-200...spagenameZWDVW
Old 07-02-10, 12:08 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post OK sorry

Originally Posted by Klaus

I'm curious as to what some of the vvt-i SC4 guys that swapped manuals have done about this.
But.... if you have the cajones to try it, this would be a good start:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-200...spagenameZWDVW
Yeah in my post i said "so ive heard" that the auto ecus were the same. but i guess not. and i figured if so the 5spd ecu might work. didnt say it was for sure. but thanks for clearing that up. i guess standalone would be only option. or like what i said about not having to worry about check engine light depending on where you live. because here it doesnt matter if its on. but i just didnt want that on in my car. would like it to function normally and not have to check it every so often to see if i have other codes.
Old 07-02-10, 12:37 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

This might help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5067457-post15.html

here is a link to his new username to PM him:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...-dr-tweak.html
Old 07-02-10, 12:51 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpiderN9NE
Yeah in my post i said "so ive heard" that the auto ecus were the same. but i guess not. and i figured if so the 5spd ecu might work. didnt say it was for sure. but thanks for clearing that up. i guess standalone would be only option. or like what i said about not having to worry about check engine light depending on where you live. because here it doesnt matter if its on. but i just didnt want that on in my car. would like it to function normally and not have to check it every so often to see if i have other codes.
Wasn't trying to shoot you down hard man . I personally would love to see if there was a way to do this without a standalone. I still haven't come across a standalone that matches the reliability of the factory ECU.

I also wonder if doing a complete IS ECU swap would allow you to convert to DBW... interesting thought.
Old 07-03-10, 05:32 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Wasn't trying to shoot you down hard man . I personally would love to see if there was a way to do this without a standalone. I still haven't come across a standalone that matches the reliability of the factory ECU.

I also wonder if doing a complete IS ECU swap would allow you to convert to DBW... interesting thought.
No problem man, its cool. i would rather the correct info be handed out rather that misguide hearsay. i searched and couldnt find the thread that someone told me that but what you said makes since and im a believer. i just hope someone stumbles apon this thread with the info needed.

Last edited by SpiderN9NE; 07-04-10 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-03-10, 09:58 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm slowely starting to research the vvt-i sc4 manual conversion, but so far I dont think anyone's done it.. at least not that I know of.
Old 07-03-10, 12:21 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I'm slowely starting to research the vvt-i sc4 manual conversion, but so far I dont think anyone's done it.. at least not that I know of.
There was a guy a LONGGG time ago that swapped in a 6 speed into his 98 sc400. He said he got it working, but there was almost no way to get rid of the CEL's.

If you want a clean swap and not have any CEL's your going to have to get an Electrical Engineer involved. Using oscilliscopes, huge referencing to repair/wiring manuals. Using resistors to simulate solenoids, creating microprocessors to act as an automatic transmission. VERY expensive if you hire one. But it can be done.

Quick Reply: Can I convert my 98 SC300 to stick?