To sell or keep - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 07:45 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default To sell or keep - what to do?

Guys,

I have been around here for a LONG, LONG time and have owned I think 13 or 14 SC300/400's. Everytime I stray from the flock I usually find a way to make it back Which brings me to this post.

I have a 99 SC300 red/tan that I bought with a blown motor. I replaced the blown motor with a 26k motor, fixed some minor damage on the passenger door, did a couple of mods and now have this:

The car currently has 183k on the chassis and the only issue with the car right now is the tear on the drivers seat and if you want to be picky the LCA bushings could probably do with being replaced.

I have put a lot of time and money into this car, and thought it would be pretty simple to sell. I have it listed at $7k and have had no reasonable offers. I refuse to sell it for less as I think that price is pretty fair for a 99 with a 26k motor.

I have 4 cars right now, including a 92 SC400 with a singled 1JZ. So, for the most part, the car just sits in the garage looking pretty. I don't owe anything on it, and the insurance is <$20/month.

I was thinking about having the seat fixed, new LCA bushings, dropping the car with some coils or springs, and just keeping it until the market picks up. But then again, the car isn't going to appreciate any over the next year... I know dumping more money into it is pretty silly, but I don't like my cars to be half-assed or my cars to have any issues. I guess I am somewhat of a perfectionist.

The smartest choice would be to sell it, but I feel the asking price is fair as-is. All the 99's I see have around 125k and they are asking $10k +. I understand a car is only worth what someone will pay for it, but honestly it is worth $7k to me, so if it isn't worth $7k to other people then it's not in my best interests to sell.

So are my being naiive by thinking this car is worth $7k?

99 SC300, 3-spoke steering wheel, gated shifter, perforated leater
17" wheels
Clear sidemarkers
Brand new tint
26k mile motor, new motor mounts, new battery, new fluids, alignment.

What are your thoughts?
Jonny
Old 07-01-10, 08:33 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3

I was thinking about having the seat fixed, new LCA bushings, dropping the car with some coils or springs, and just keeping it until the market picks up. But then again, the car isn't going to appreciate any over the next year ... I know dumping more money into it is pretty silly, but I don't like my cars to be half-assed or my cars to have any issues. I guess I am somewhat of a perfectionist.

The smartest choice would be to sell it, but I feel the asking price is fair as-is. All the 99's I see have around 125k and they are asking $10k +. I understand a car is only worth what someone will pay for it, but honestly it is worth $7k to me, so if it isn't worth $7k to other people then it's not in my best interests to sell.

So are my being naiive by thinking this car is worth $7k?
Jonny, I think you've answered all your own questions

It's a subjective matter; no right or wrong here.

btw, the car looks great!
Old 07-01-10, 08:44 AM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Can I ask what people have been offering? I would give you 7k on the spot if I were in the market for one of those...I hate trying to sell a car man everyone wants it for free.
Old 07-01-10, 08:48 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by good2go
Jonny, I think you've answered all your own questions

It's a subjective matter; no right or wrong here.

btw, the car looks great!
Yeah, I think you are right.

Originally Posted by BostonSC4
Can I ask what people have been offering? I would give you 7k on the spot if I were in the market for one of those...I hate trying to sell a car man everyone wants it for free.
$4000-$5000 have been my offers - all of which I laugh at If I was selling a ragged out POS that's one thing, but this car looks pretty good.

Jonny
Old 07-01-10, 08:50 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell it but nothing less than $7K
Old 07-01-10, 08:51 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a beautiful SC, and if it isnt really costing you anything, I would keep it and let it continue to appreciate over time. Honestly speaking, I would pay more than $7k for it just due to the fact that its unmolested, extremely clean, and well maintained.
Old 07-01-10, 08:52 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea no wrong or right here I would just put all ur 1JZ single goodies into the newer 99 SC3 and sell the 92 400 with ur 26k mile engine and try to make out the best you can. That way you end up with a newer and faster 99 SC3 and put some cash in ur pocket
Old 07-01-10, 09:06 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that SC is clean. I would keep it, its worth more than you are asking.
Old 07-01-10, 09:08 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it's worth $7K, i don't understand what people are thinking.....
the most sought after are the 99-00, and this is one of them.
hold out till you get what you want.
Old 07-01-10, 09:21 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep it- if you still have in it year I'd be highly likely to buy it haha. It's worth $7k rock bottom. Maybe if you listed it for 10 initially you may have had a $7k offer by now. In this economy people want a "deal" and that just has to do with lowballing, not necessarily market value. If you list it for $10k, and they buy it from you for $7k they feel like they bought a $10k car for $7k. But if they buy it for $7 when you had it listed for $7k they feel like they didn't get a deal. Sales psychology - it sucks but it's true!
Old 07-01-10, 09:55 AM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

The car looks great!! $7k seems like a deal to me if i were in the market. I'd say keep it for a while.
Old 07-01-10, 10:04 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the reason you're getting these offers is because of 180k mileage. I would say you can only get 6500 or so. Also, buyers would doubt the 26k motor in it, because there is no way to really prove it. Shop receipts can be easily faked. It's probably better to keep it. Btw how come you didn't get tired of this platform lol? 14 SCs is just wow.
Old 07-01-10, 10:29 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

keeeeeeeeeppppp herrrrrrrrrr
Old 07-01-10, 11:05 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you everyone for your comments - they are greatly appreciated I think I will just keep it, fix the small issues and just use it everytime I feel like driving something different

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
Well the reason you're getting these offers is because of 180k mileage. I would say you can only get 6500 or so. Also, buyers would doubt the 26k motor in it, because there is no way to really prove it. Shop receipts can be easily faked. It's probably better to keep it. Btw how come you didn't get tired of this platform lol? 14 SCs is just wow.
Well the motor came from a respectable salvage yard, and by the condition of the motor, I felt very confident that it only had 26k on it. Hopefully my reputation on this forum and other forums would gain me enough credit for people to trust what I say.

I have gotten tired of this platform several times, and have gone through a supercharged GS400, LS430 Ultra, supercharged QX56, NSX, and find myself still coming back for SC love.

Regards,
Jonny
Old 07-01-10, 11:08 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3

I have gotten tired of this platform several times, and have gone through a supercharged GS400, LS430 Ultra, supercharged QX56, NSX, and find myself still coming back for SC love.

Regards,
Jonny
How many Scs do you have now?

Quick Reply: To sell or keep - what to do?