SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Twin turbo NA

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 09:44 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin turbo NA

Now i have bin looking maybe not hard enough ,But i had an idea that i wanted to put into action ,
My cousin just recently changed his twins on his 1J and gave them to me,im wondering IF i could put the twins on my NA motor and actualy make it work .....And before you start tearing me a new one i dont have any type of "REAL MOD" money to play with at all so im just trying make due with what i have.
Old 07-01-10, 09:45 PM
Alex L.
Driver

It will not work.
Old 07-01-10, 09:48 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well... to burst your bubble you wont be able to use them. From what I know the manifold will not bolt up to your head and even if they were to bolt up... you would need all the missing parts. Oil lines, intercooler, intercooler pipes, something to tune your car with, and the list goes on. It will cost you a lot to get it to work. Your final price with a custom exhaust manifold you are at the price of a single na-t kit. Good luck with your project.
Old 07-01-10, 09:52 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TLDriver
well... to burst your bubble you wont be able to use them. From what I know the manifold will not bolt up to your head and even if they were to bolt up... you would need all the missing parts. Oil lines, intercooler, intercooler pipes, something to tune your car with, and the list goes on. It will cost you a lot to get it to work. Your final price with a custom exhaust manifold you are at the price of a single na-t kit. Good luck with your project.
But if it were so to work i think it would look pretty awesome tho,How much is an NA kit? my co worker has one in his car and he told me i would only have to change my head gasket.
Old 07-01-10, 10:05 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipe
But if it were so to work i think it would look pretty awesome tho,How much is an NA kit? my co worker has one in his car and he told me i would only have to change my head gasket.
too many factors to give you a price. Cheap route used stuff maybe 1k.... Doing it all the price is up there. It will look cool but would you spend 500 to 2500 for a custom exhaust manifold to fit the stock twins? that's just the manifold not the full kit. There is a good reason why people dump the stock twins. Go to Clubna-t.com they talk about it there a lot or search in here and read up on everything before spending some cash on the project.
Old 07-01-10, 10:55 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipe
you dont even need to change your headgasket..but bottom line, getting the stock twins from the 1j to work would be a hassle, and cost just as much as going na-t the traditional route.

na-t kits will range from $1k-$8k+, but a median is usually in the $5k range. As TL stated, head over to clubna-t.com, and read the na-t basics sticky.

quick rundown on parts you need:

turbo
manifold
wastegate
intercooler with pipes
bov
downpipe
oil feed/return lines
misc. vacuum hoses
safc or some sort of fuel controller
wideband o2 sensor to be safe
boost gauge

i think thats sums it up.
Old 07-01-10, 11:03 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

If I had 5k to put in my car il prob do a nice paint job ,wheels and a nice coil over setup, don't you think il be better of just getting a 1JZ with that type of money?
Old 07-02-10, 12:04 AM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those turbos have ceramic blades, even if u re-flanged the manifold and all that good stuff ud just end up grading the turbos