SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-02, 01:54 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous

I am interested in adding a nitrous kit to my SC400.. I definately want to use a wet kit, but haven't seen too many people adding nitrous to their SC400's and was wondering if it was safe. My car has 110k miles on it, is it safe to add nitrous to an engine this old? I had a 75 shot on the Dodge neon I had before the SC, so I know how nitrous works and how to use it safely, but the neon only had 30k miles on it..
Old 07-01-02, 03:22 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Do a compression test first, and make sure you maitenance is all up to date.

If your compression looks good I wouldn't worry about the mileage.

-Ethan
Old 07-01-02, 04:58 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Sounds good.. Thanks for the info. How much nitrous can the 1UZ-FE handle? I was thinking it should handle up to a 100 shot, but sticking to 50 or 75 might be safer..
Old 07-01-02, 07:45 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With proper fuel, it'll handle plenty more than that, you're definitely safe with a 75-100 shot.
- Jon
Old 07-01-02, 08:10 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Is another fuel pump a good idea? Or just a proper fuel pill size?
Old 07-01-02, 08:40 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Get yourself an insurance policy... Buy an air/fuel ratio gauge.
Start out by reading the gauge at WOT throughout the rev band w/o NOS. Make sure you have enough fuel supply at 50 shot to keep the gauge in the same place as your normal WOT runs w/o NOS. Then step it up a notch. Just keep it rich and you won't hurt anything. An adjustable FPRegulator and better fuel pump wouldn't hurt.

The PRO V-8 import class has proven that the Lexus V-8 can handle major NOS with some careful setup.
Old 07-01-02, 11:07 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

While agree that moving up in segments is a good idea, I don't know how much I agree with using an A/F gauge to do it... Unless you get a wideband. Your best bet would be to test it out on a dyno with a wideband, because it has been my experience that those A/F gauges are not all the accurate.

If I were going to do NOS on a motor that size I would do at least a 75 shot, and personally (I am an idiot) I would do a direct port 160. And yes, getting a better fuel pump would be an EXCELLENT idea. Even getting a pump to run independent for the nitrous system would be smart, but unnecessary.

-Ethan
Old 07-02-02, 04:15 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I always ran a seperate, designated pump - never had any problems. You can never be too safe. A/F guages just seem pump out garbage when the NOS is on, but they are awsome for tuning carbs. I wouldn't waste money on one (two) personally. Just stick with very careful installation, and keep an eye on your timing.

If anything, run two Exhaust temp guages (one on each side) and moniter your A/F that way. More reliable.

Keith
Old 07-02-02, 06:27 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

But since you can't adjust the timing on the 1UZ, your best bet would be a standalone and a big annular discharge direct port fogger, with enough fuel you can approach low low 12's with this setup on a slick. By the way, for a buck and a half shot or less, the NOS kit for the Mustang fits, and has the option of an inline aux pump, long as you don't mind using a chassis-mount, if you do, you might want dual TT pumps and pump ECU, or run straight 12V as opposed to the 9V you'd get if you swapped in the TT pump ECU. Choice is yours.....

- Jon

Eth - a 160 shot no problem!
Old 07-02-02, 09:09 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

This is great info.. I think I am going to get a Nitrous Express wet kit with the remote bottle opener, an MSD ignition and an RPM activated window switch for safety. I am going to have a local shop do the installation.. Now, has anyone used an MSD ignition on an SC400? I think I saw Emerald with one.. thanks for everyone's input..

Last edited by mjames08; 07-02-02 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-02-02, 10:10 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Make sure you get a purge valve, bottle heater, and pressure gauge. It is important to have the bottle at the right temp for best performance, and if you don't have a purge valve your car will bog off the line because the system will just dump in a bunch of fuel but no nitrous because you will have to wait for it to get to the nozzle all the way from the trunk (just takes a split second, but that's all it takes to lose a race!)

-Ethan
Old 07-02-02, 10:13 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

..and without the purge valve no cool sounds to scare competitors.. So now what is a safe RPM range to apply the nitrous? Maybe I should get a nitrous control unit so I could be squirting throughout the whole RPM range?
Old 07-02-02, 04:17 PM
Carl Tang
Driver School Candidate

Default I have A Nitrous Express kit

I would deff go with Exh Temp gauge way better.......and faster

I bought the N/E wet kit for my SC300 it comes with 35-50-75 HP jets

I ran the 50 setup till I got new plugs 2 steps colder then I put on the 75Hp Jets...... It runs fine been through like 4 Full bottles

I have the Purge and Remote Bottle opener with my kit

Personally I like it but not as much as I thought I would.....
I have a bunch of friends with 12sec hondas and I feel wayyy slow around them ...... But people look at my car more than theirs

I would recomend N20 only if turbo is out of your reach

To date I have spent well over 2K for Nitrous kit and N20

Ill put some pics up soon as I am near done with project
Old 07-02-02, 04:21 PM
Carl Tang
Driver School Candidate

Default PS

I purged my kit at a light when I was next to a 02 Vette and he thought that I was crazy for putting N20 on a Lex and he really thought I had what it takes to beat him ........I WISH he would rip me to shreds....... But then again I I can spray and watch TV at the same time
Old 07-03-02, 03:47 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by mjames08
This is great info.. I think I am going to get a Nitrous Express wet kit with the remote bottle opener, an MSD ignition and an RPM activated window switch for safety. I am going to have a local shop do the installation.. Now, has anyone used an MSD ignition on an SC400? I think I saw Emerald with one.. thanks for everyone's input..
Just keep in mind you will need 2 MSD boxes - Ignition upgrades are a bit pricy for our cars.

Quick Reply: Nitrous