SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 forgotten SC400.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 05:48 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Props on the courage to resurrect one in such poor shape.
Old 08-25-10, 07:17 AM
Ssergio86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why am I doing work on my exhaust?....well because it was only $100 and anyone who has heard an 1UZ knows that the little V8 has a unique rumble to it ,and i wanted to unleash a little more sound. plus i will swap only until my engine blows...that may be a while! for now i am having fun with it.

Also I did my research on all my options for seats, and yes the OEM are really heavy, and restoring them it's really expensive, so aftermarket ones may be the best choice.

***Update***

So turns out the rod from my passenger door was bent so I need to locate another one.

Also I am about to order an Ebay Xenon kit 5000K ( yeah yeah i know i should get a better one)

Today i am finishing my rear quarter panel.
Old 08-25-10, 07:38 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssergio86
Also I am about to order an Ebay Xenon kit 5000K ( yeah yeah i know i should get a better one).
For a low price good quality kit check out THIS place. I got a setup from them for my WRX.
Old 08-25-10, 10:02 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Good job saving another SC, we need more people like you!!! lol
Old 08-25-10, 10:40 AM
sc11190
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Debonair
For a low price good quality kit check out THIS place. I got a setup from them for my WRX.
i was gonna post the same link... i've had 3 of these kits already in different cars and never had a problem.. i just got my 5000k 55 watt kit for the sc from them..
Old 08-25-10, 12:33 PM
fuel4blood
Driver

You need a new quarter panel, the rust under there is going to spread. You have access to a welder?

P.S. you would probably gain more power with all that bondo removed, power to weight ratio lol
Old 08-25-10, 06:02 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fuel4blood
You need a new quarter panel, the rust under there is going to spread.
Yup...That QP damage was the reason I walked away from a possible trade for this car...Covering the rust up with Bondo will just lead to the same problem it had before: A 10+ inch split where the Bondo pushed out from the body. It's obvious you love this car Serg, but you're gonna need to put in some serious body work for the new paint job to have a fighting chance.
Old 08-25-10, 07:29 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

That's awesome how you're turning this car from a piece of junk into a nice SC. I don't know if I could ever work on an SC in this bad of shape.
Old 08-25-10, 09:37 PM
Ssergio86
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gspec
Yup...That QP damage was the reason I walked away from a possible trade for this car...Covering the rust up with Bondo will just lead to the same problem it had before: A 10+ inch split where the Bondo pushed out from the body. It's obvious you love this car Serg, but you're gonna need to put in some serious body work for the new paint job to have a fighting chance.

Noted.

But i Sanded all of the surface rust away, and there was no rust eating trough the sheet metal, only a very thin layer on the surface, vplus before the bondo I sprayed with anti rust...so that is why i didnt replace the quarter panel.....i do have one at hand...and welding it would have been no problem.

I actually went the hard way. and I am 100% certain that it will be good. and no cracks will appear...and if they do....(since i decided to keep my car and just give the big ole middle finger to fuel economy) I will cut and weld the quarter pannel my self. ( but i seriously doubt this will happen).

OK more updates....

today I fixed.

-Door pannels (they were braking off reconstructed missing parts)
-Trunk lid wouldn't close. fixed it and now it opens from the driver side like it should. No lock cylinder on the tail light yet I still have to find me one.
-Re-spryed the tailights and changed from white bulbs to amber ones I was getting sick of the stupid cops pulling me over for my white turning signals

**ordered the xenon kit***...wait maybe I already told u this haha well wahtever.

next on the list

-prothane control arm bushings
-new ball joints
-downpipes to delete the catalists
-cherry bombs instead of my OEM silencers

.....keep posted
Old 08-30-10, 08:18 AM
Ssergio86
Rookie

Ok so new upgrade restores and new found problems.

This weekend i got a lot done in the car....and also found one tiny little problem that has been busting my *****!!!!!!!

ok so finally got my passanger door opening like it should i had to run to the junk yard and found the piece i was missing al so with the little plastic part from the dealership.....(FYI taking this off and on is quite a project)

this is the old part

then issue number one.

the power lock doesn't wor on this door.....(next project any suggestions??)

i got my Xenon Kit!!! finally....pre installed to see if it worked and also see how it looked.....5000K's....you tell me.

so after the install i found issue number 2.....the conector for the right headlight is burnt and has a bad conection, so it took sanding cleaning of the connector to make it work. I'm going to the junk yard today to get the connector.

and Issue Number 3.

Had to change rear turning signal bulbs for amber ones...to keep the popo from pulling me over.

...and after this the tail lights worked fine...then i got the dash indicator light for the tail lights...and then they were gone.

so I checked on the light bulbs, check the fuse...everything ok....so i checked with a test light if there was electricity comming in to the tail light (withe cable with black line) and nope!! no electricity comming in.

So I went to check if the fuse had electricity running through it and...yes. so i tried to find the cable that goes from the fuse in to the tail lights, found it (i'm not really sure it's the right one) try to by pass electrycity to it but nope nothing. so WTF??????

today I am taking off the fuse box and finding the right cable. then i may have to put half car appart to follow the cable and see if it's ripped somewhere or if there is anything to it....I don't know what else to do?....any help on this would be awesome and greatly appreciatted!!!!!
Old 08-30-10, 09:47 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Looks great. Awesome job bringing it back to shape
Old 08-30-10, 11:09 AM
PR0PH37
Rookie

Very nice. Courageous indeed. Just got mine recently for $1,500 but even though it didn't need body or interior repair, it did need a a/c compressor and a fuel pump and battery. Besides that, it rides like a champ!
Old 08-30-10, 03:13 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssergio86
Ok so new upgrade restores and new found problems.

This weekend i got a lot done in the car....and also found one tiny little problem that has been busting my *****!!!!!!!

ok so finally got my passanger door opening like it should i had to run to the junk yard and found the piece i was missing al so with the little plastic part from the dealership.....(FYI taking this off and on is quite a project)

this is the old part

then issue number one.

the power lock doesn't wor on this door.....(next project any suggestions??)

i got my Xenon Kit!!! finally....pre installed to see if it worked and also see how it looked.....5000K's....you tell me.

so after the install i found issue number 2.....the conector for the right headlight is burnt and has a bad conection, so it took sanding cleaning of the connector to make it work. I'm going to the junk yard today to get the connector.

and Issue Number 3.

Had to change rear turning signal bulbs for amber ones...to keep the popo from pulling me over.

...and after this the tail lights worked fine...then i got the dash indicator light for the tail lights...and then they were gone.

so I checked on the light bulbs, check the fuse...everything ok....so i checked with a test light if there was electricity comming in to the tail light (withe cable with black line) and nope!! no electricity comming in.

So I went to check if the fuse had electricity running through it and...yes. so i tried to find the cable that goes from the fuse in to the tail lights, found it (i'm not really sure it's the right one) try to by pass electrycity to it but nope nothing. so WTF??????

today I am taking off the fuse box and finding the right cable. then i may have to put half car appart to follow the cable and see if it's ripped somewhere or if there is anything to it....I don't know what else to do?....any help on this would be awesome and greatly appreciatted!!!!!
Download the FSM for our cars, find the wiring schematic you need, and test the wire with multi-meter probes at both ends to check continuity. You can also test for shorts to ground this way if you unplug the bulbs first.
Old 08-31-10, 07:09 AM
Ssergio86
Rookie

ok so where do I download that?
Old 08-31-10, 09:05 PM
Ssergio86
Rookie

i found the problem!!!....or more like it a way around it!....found the cable that was having issues. so i put half cart appart routed the cable to the fuse box...and changed it for a brand new cable and problem fixed.

later today one of my brand new HID's went out ( no relation to the problem) i had a rusty connector and the bad connection burned the bulb or the ballast, good thing they have a life time warranty!!

next on the list my stereo needs to get fixed I NEED A NEW OEM AMPLIFIER!!!! so if u have one laying around haller please!!!

Quick Reply: 92 forgotten SC400.