SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 forgotten SC400.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 12:14 PM
Ssergio86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 forgotten SC400.

From a very long time i have been a automotive aficionado, I have built many cars now, but I have always loved the Soarer....First time I saw one was in a video, JDM insider..and I thought it was one of the prettiest cars i had ever seen, aggressive and stylish at the same time. and the straight turbo six!! wow. Also I have always loved drifting. to the point that my first drift oriented car was an AE86...long story short, had to sell now i decided to upgrade to the big boys. by default!!lol.

so I was looking to buy another AE86, but i came across this craig's add, that said SC400 2000$ and I was like whaaaaat??...so I called the person and actually told me that she was willing to go lower because she couldn't start the car. so I went to look at the car. Complete disaster, the car was in the worst shape I have ever seen a car, except for junk yards. ( the interiror, the exterior is fairly good)

so this is how the car looked before.

the passenger door had no door panel, and it wouldn't open from the inside nor the outside.

The leather in all 3 seats was bad, but the driver seat is the worse, it looked like someone just decided to destroy it.

the dash had so many stains and the worse it was a smoker's car.

ok so my work began with the easy stuff, start the car!!!, long story short, bad coil packs and loose spark plugs so I took the car for $1300 yep you read right, with a clean tittle, and the engine had been rebuild less than 100k miles ago.

so took it home and did the obvious....cleaned it!

this is after me cleaning carpets, what is left of the leather and the dash and i did something I am not proud off but, until I have the money and I can locate one in excellent shape this is how is going to be (steering wheel cover

then i got busy with the head lights they were so yellow it was insane!!

before (actually mid way restoration)

after i was done with them

ok next I went to the yunk yard and got my self a door pane from a SC300 and also work on the door to get it open.....so now I can open it but only from the inside, the outside has a broken connecting part i still haven't figured out how to fix

well you know how a door looks with the door panel on...I haven't taken pictures of it yet.

ok next the tail lights where cracked so i got these from Craig's at a fairly good price ( i know they are ebay crap but still they do the job for now)

ok after that, i got new tie rods, new timing belt, new battery, and i am trying to get the control arm bushings for the front upper and lower....soon I think.

after all of that i did another Lexus sin....I got my self a set of sport maxx wheels 18" nothing to fancy, i found them on craig's list for a ridiculous price, so i couldn't let them go...yes they are way to skinny and wrong off set yaddy yadda...but this is my starting point and from there i will get me a set of 10" wide when the cash comes.

this is how it looks.

ok i know it needs a decent suspension set up because it's really high now and I hate it!!!...but i think it looks better than the 16" oem wheels

...I also did a temporary fix on my seats but i am way to ashamed to post a pic of that and I don't want to get booed out of the forum, so I will post a pic when i get a new pair of seats and the rear redone.

ok plans for the future.

1. wheel spacers
2.Sound system (either fix the OEM or aftemarket decent one nothing too fancy)
3. Coilovers haven't decided on the brand ( or if i am in a tight budget then something in the mid way just better and lower than OEM)
4.body kit (yes I like those, and not ashamed)
5.after the car looks like someone cares for it 1jz swap with an W56 manual transmission.
6. black paint job.

ok so here it is... I am aware that the car was a piece of crap, and that i should have just waited for a better shape one...but I like challenges...and this one for sure is one. also there is a lot of things i know other members have gotten so much crap for doing, and yes I did too, but remember I am new to this, and with time I will learn to upgrade restore my care with much better taste.

ok restoration upgrading will continue...so keep posted!!
Old 07-07-10, 12:43 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see your are restoring a beauty. But someone would have to pay me $2k to take that car from them.
Old 07-07-10, 12:44 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like your off to a good start. Those ebay tails dont look to bad on there either. Keep us posted on the progress
Old 07-07-10, 01:08 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those tails are growing on me
Old 07-07-10, 01:31 PM
kanderson
Driver

Keep up the good work on the restoration!!
Old 07-07-10, 01:37 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

great work so far and good luck on your restoration
Old 07-07-10, 01:45 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice work, keep at it. Lets see those seats! If they are the worst ever they can only get better.
Old 07-07-10, 01:53 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice job saving another of a dieing bread
Old 07-07-10, 02:39 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Props on saving one man! Sounds like she's getting everything she needs.
Old 07-07-10, 03:51 PM
Ssergio86
Rookie

I am actually pretty surprised on how well the eBay tail lights look kinda oem. I may have, and I said may have to darken them just a tad.

Thanks for the possitive feedback,any more things up to come as soon as my budget alouds.
Old 07-07-10, 03:57 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Great progress keep it up. Also you should check out the DIY thread it'll help you out tremendously.
Old 07-08-10, 12:10 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats and thanks for giving her a second chance
Old 07-08-10, 12:25 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like shes in great hands now, keep us updated with more progress.
Old 07-08-10, 12:53 AM
Allaretake
Driver

I think you're doing a great service to a car that was destined for the junk yard.

Mine also looked awful when I first got it. It had baked uncovered in the California sun for about 10 years, but now it looks pretty good.
Old 07-08-10, 02:14 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the quick turn around and saving her from the junkyard!

Everybody starts somewhere and your doing just fine, good luck!

Quick Reply: 92 forgotten SC400.