SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1jz swapped SC's - Are you truly happy with the swap???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-10, 06:39 AM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 1jz swapped SC's - Are you truly happy with the swap???

So for those who did the 1jz swap, are you truly happy for the swap? Or did you wish you would have spend the additional on the 2jz aristo swap? After pricing out an NA-T setup installed by my mechanic, it comes out that a near stock 1jz or heck even 2jz swap costs less than a properly built NA-T car. With my car having higher miles (170k) I really dont want to risk turboing the older motor. Im looking at around 7500.00 installed with all the engine maintenance I require along with a standalone installed for an NA-T setup. And anywhere from 2-3k less for either the 1jz or 2jz swap installed stock.(FMIC and exhaust only)

The 1jz seems more than enough for my goals of only 500whp. The cost is not the factor, but more the cost/risk factor of blowing my older engine and having to add another 2-3k ontop to rebuild or throw in a forged 2jz.
Old 07-10-10, 10:02 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, if you're looking at spending 7500, why not just buy a boosted SC, put your current mods on it and sell the NA?
Old 07-10-10, 10:17 AM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some people prefer built over bought....
Old 07-10-10, 10:30 AM
1of120
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SC2JZ300
Some people prefer built over bought....
I've always seen things like this, "you can't really be proud of something you didn't do."
Old 07-10-10, 10:32 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an NA SC3 with 180k on the motor and opted to buy an already swapped 1jz car in lieu of attempting an NA-T or swapping the existing car. Ended up getting a lower mileage chassis and engine and basically a blank canvas for less than you've been quoted for the NA-T set up. It was a night and day difference even with a stock 1jz. It would have been nice to find a 2jz car for that price, but at the time it was a solid deal.

As for the swap or not to swap question... If you go the NA-T route you could always pick up a low mileage GE motor for diiiirt cheap if yours goes pop. Then again, if you have to replace the GE, why not replace it with the gte.
Old 07-10-10, 10:41 AM
sayayin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my sc300, bought used, but it comes with consequences when you get a used car, is better when you built it, now my turbo is gone, no AC and much other stuff to be done.
Old 07-10-10, 10:46 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an already swapped 1jz car w/ single turbo upgrade and Ive been piecing it back together since I got it lol. dont buy someone elses ****. do it yourself so you know where everything is and who did it. Now as for the car with a 1jz in it, I love it. theres something about that open wastegate even though I'm only running 11psi its still fun as ****. and the 1jz sound... jizz in my pants
Old 07-10-10, 03:33 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

So if you could do it again would you opt to spend the extra few hundred dollars to go with the aristo 2jz vs the soarer 1jz? Or better yet a chaser 1jz vvti? They are all a cheaper route than a properly built high mileage NA-T.
Old 07-10-10, 04:52 PM
Matador
Racer

Originally Posted by SuicidnS13
So if you could do it again would you opt to spend the extra few hundred dollars to go with the aristo 2jz vs the soarer 1jz? Or better yet a chaser 1jz vvti? They are all a cheaper route than a properly built high mileage NA-T.
you'll likely want to go single on either the 1j or 2j, so you may want to factor that in to your pricing. A stock gte is gonna get a lil boring even with bolt ons.
Old 07-10-10, 05:34 PM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

I was in the same position as you when I got my sc300 with 207,000 miles. I went the 1jz route instead of the 2jz, and I'm happy with it and it's mostly stock at that! If your like me and D.D. the damn thing and want a twin turbo for the cheap, go 1jz!!! Now I'm IN NO WAY DISSSING THE 2JZ! It's just that if you want a lot bang for your buck and just want to do bolt on's 2jz-1jz is the way to go!

Think about it for a sec, if you keep the old motor and do a head job, it will cost damn near as much as a 1jz shipped if not more! Do this holla at ZUNDE at JHOT go 1jz with a 5 speed swap it in and be happy with yourself!
Old 07-10-10, 05:42 PM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kevintsab
I've always seen things like this, "you can't really be proud of something you didn't do."
id agree, you have much more respect for something that youve put your own time sweat and work into
Old 07-10-10, 06:02 PM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Hey does it make more of a man if you build the car yourself or would it make you more of a man if you went to work put in the hours so you can pay someone to do it for you? I just want to know............ I did a little of both with my car, does that make me less of a man? just wondering? I feel that a lot guys on here like to pull there junk out and say a more of man than you because I built my car, man I should get a s14 and go back to NICO! at least there I can expect the elite trash talk.
Old 07-10-10, 06:28 PM
Matador
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr.Fate
Hey does it make more of a man if you build the car yourself or would it make you more of a man if you went to work put in the hours so you can pay someone to do it for you? I just want to know............ I did a little of both with my car, does that make me less of a man? just wondering? I feel that a lot guys on here like to pull there junk out and say a more of man than you because I built my car, man I should get a s14 and go back to NICO! at least there I can expect the elite trash talk.
lol, not NICO!!! Nah, doesnt make you any less of a man if its built vs bought. Thats a bunch of rubbish, but you'll find it on every car forum. It is fun to get your hands dirty, but sometimes you just wanna drop it off and pick it up with new goodies installed and ready to go.
Old 07-10-10, 06:42 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

i'm currently at 311K miles and NA-T (boosting 15 lbs daily) and all i did to the engine was a thicker hg and ARP headstuds. and i know i didn't spend more than 3 g's on my setup that's including oil, transmission fluids, etc. i'm very happy w/ my setup as well..

Last edited by SC300_704; 07-10-10 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-10-10, 07:03 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i kinda wish i went with an NA-T setup instead of a 1JZ as im still sorting out issues, main one being the turbos and it durability. Im already on my second set but they are probably going to crap out by years end. Also, yes the 1JZ has a lot of interchangeable parts with the 2JZ but the parts that aren't comparable are hard to come by in good condition. I was lucky to find a brand spankin' new Idle air control through my co workers at Toyota but it cost me quite a bit. With the money i had to spend on bad parts, i could have had 400hp on my old 2JZ. Slowly though, my car is coming together and im starting to really enjoy it. It's not done yet, and even when it is running right im already itching for more

Overall i like my 1JZ, but it costs a lot more than people say it is.

Quick Reply: 1jz swapped SC's - Are you truly happy with the swap???