SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

COMPLETE 2K conversion list and some other points and questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-02, 02:41 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COMPLETE 2K conversion list and some other points and questions...

Big thanks to Steve Ganz who took the time to gather all of this and fax it to me....it is the complete list part number wise for converting the 92-96 SC's to the 97-2k ones. Maybe you guys can chime in with some answers to my questions at the bottom.

OK....the rear of the car...actually looks to be a LOT simpler than I at least thought it would be.
Rear Side Cover, Right Side, 76973-24902
Rear Side Cover, Left Side, 76974-24902
Rear Bumper End Retainer, Right, 52587-24010
Rear Bumper End Retainer, Left, 52588-24020

These 4 parts can be had for $200 total. I was under the assumption that the newer SC had a whole diff. rear bumper....but apparently all you have to do is move the SC400 emblem, and then change the parts above....which I believe are the little parts to the rear of each rear wheel (I think the newer ones come down more)???

The side skirts......
Right Side-75851-24900
Left Side-75852-24900
You need 2 rocker panel molding protectors (one for each side).......75862-24010
You need 8 rocker panel clips (4 for each side)...75867-24050
You need 12 rocker panel molding clips (these are diff. ones, 6 for each side) 75868-24020

Thats pretty straightforward. You can obtain those for about $515.00.

Taillights-$400 total
Now the failure indicator.....the price sheet only shows you need 1.....I thought you needed one for each taillight, no?? Thats $240.

Front headlights-$350.00

Now I see on here the front turn signal lamp assembly, what is that??? Im not familiar with them...... There is one for the left and right sides.....$320 each.
81511-24044 right side
81521-24044-left side

Now someone on here said they got the whole front end conversion kit for like $550 from Carson, but the price list lists a little more (its poss. this $550 kit doesnt include everything).
This consists of the....
left and right fog light assembly....143 each.
81210-24040 right
81220-24040 left

Front Lexus emblem of course is $25.

The grille....$104.00. 53114-24020
The front bumper cover....$309. 52119-24914
Now it lists these next 2 parts, not sure if you actually need them??
Front Bumper Energy Absorber-48.00.....52611-24030
Front Bumper Reinforcement, Sub Assembly, 52131-24050
That is $290.

So actually from what is listed....it adds up to....over $1,000....so thats why I am thinking maybe you dont need all of these parts for the conversion or that this $550 kit doesnt include all of this, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Anyways, hope this helps clear up some of the questions for further posts....I know I was surprised at how you can have the whole back end apparently done for $200.
Old 07-02-02, 02:51 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a link to the post by Hermosa (6th reply down) saying the front end kit was $599 actually. I am assuming it is only the fogs and the front cover. I am wondering if you really need the front absorber ($48) and front reinforcement ($290). I know Jon (LexLuthor) mentioned once you need the foam cover....is that the $48 part? Maybe he can clarify what one definately needs and what one can possibly go without.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=49868&highlight=front+carson
Old 07-02-02, 02:52 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

IT never works when I post a link.....but the address below, cut and paste it into your browser.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=front+carson
Old 07-02-02, 02:55 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Found some answers already courteousy of lexussc400.com
That 48.00 part.....is the foam piece. 52611-24030
Now in his kit at sc400.com.....he does NOT list the 290.00 reinforcement sub assembly as part of the kit....so Im thinking maybe that is not mandatory.....but someone clarify! LOL.
Old 07-02-02, 02:59 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Finally, again, I just want to thank Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota for the time in compiling this list. Hopefully I will save him some work by posting this. I am not affiliated with him in anyway, but contacted him as word of mouth here said he was excellent, and he is. The prices are the lowest Ive seen so I encourage you to get in contact with him if you need any parts, etc.
His email is gonzo4u@earthlink.net or call him at 1-800-908-6968
Old 07-02-02, 03:25 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

OK, I wasnt thinking. Up in the first post where I said I was not familiar with the turn signal assemblies....I believe THOSE are the headlights?
I do know for a fact that the 350.00 headlights in the first post...thats actually for the high beams.
Old 07-02-02, 03:49 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need the foam bumper reinforcement, you can modify your old one by cutting the top, but it's hardly worth it for 40-something bucks. You don't need the metal reinforcement frame, i've done it with the ones from the old and the new, they both work. The rear bumper IS a different part, Steve must've forgot to put that on there for you. The headlamps are different part numbers, but the old ones work with the new bumper. You'll need to do a bit of wiring for the newer fog lamps, the plugs are different and Lexus doesn't sell just that part of the harness, let me know if you need instructions, and the only other concern is getting the inner lamps (brites) to come fully flush with the bumper, that's a dead giveaway that the car's been updated, as opposed to ppl into thinking it's a 2000, which is what you really want. Make sure your bodyman spends some time getting this perfect.
- Jon
Attached Thumbnails COMPLETE 2K conversion list and some other points and questions...-compressed-compounding-hood-and-bumper-10-30-01.jpg  
Old 07-02-02, 04:07 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Great Thread,

Maybe we can break it down to what you truly DO need and DONT need.

I am interested in doing the Front, Sides, Rear but no light changes except for the Fogs.

I thought it came to around $1,000

Thanks

MW
Old 07-02-02, 05:00 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"You need 2 rocker panel molding protectors (one for each side).......75862-24010
You need 8 rocker panel clips (4 for each side)...75867-24050
You need 12 rocker panel molding clips (these are diff. ones, 6 for each side) 75868-24020 "

Do you really need these things? The lexus parts guy just sold me the side skirts.

Thanks

Gazi
Old 07-02-02, 05:19 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

I did the front conversion myself, and all I bought was the bumper and the bumper foam. Lex is right just get the new foam, not worth cutting the old one up. Making the bumper come flush with the high beams took me all of about 2 minutes (literally) to figure out how to do, so sorry Lex Luthor, your bodyman isn't that great of a magician. lol

As for the metal reinforcement frame, the guy at the parts department tried to sell me that, but I said no. In fact, he didn't even want to sell me any of the parts at first because he said that it couldn't be done. I saw him a few weeks ago and he was shocked when I told him that it worked out fine. BUT I have to do it all over, b/c as most know I got in a wreck before I got it painted (put it on to make sure it fit first). :eek: Now my bumper is all out of place, and there are gaps around my fenders, and both high beams (everything shifted to the right).

For the foglamps, I was contemplating on whether or not I wanted to get those. Kind of wanted to put mesh in there and make it look different than the SC's around here, but then I like the whole "foglamp" idea. The $150 each kinda lessens the idea of me wanting factory ones though. Lex Luthor, can you turn on the foglamps separately from the lowbeams?

Picture I took today...
Attached Thumbnails COMPLETE 2K conversion list and some other points and questions...-97-bumper.jpg  

Last edited by lexlikenother; 07-02-02 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-02-02, 06:41 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

lexlikenother- so the conversion was pretty easy? to get the old bumper off and put on the new one.

do body shops usually paint the bumper 1st before they put them on?

also when was talking to the body shop guys they said they bake the bumper to get some oils or something out of it so the paint sticks better .. basicly what he said ?
Old 07-02-02, 06:44 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Lexlikenother, for the fogs, no, not without doing some wiring. And as far as the hi beams, some seem to need more work to come flush than others, it's a common problem to watch out for, and I can actually see a bit of a gap in the pic you've posted, so my point is well made.
-LL

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 07-02-02 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-02-02, 06:50 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Brian, to answer your question, I had mine painted before installation, here's a pic. Alot of the clips and little things are different, it's your choice as to how thorough you want to be, I spent a couple months after the conversion ordering bags of every little clip and bolt that was different on the microfiche, I wanted to do it totally correct, and I was curious exactly what evey difference was, but you could save some cheese and just do the bumper and grille if you want to go at it like that.
Attached Thumbnails COMPLETE 2K conversion list and some other points and questions...-compressed-2k-bumper-painted-up-close-10-27-01.jpg  
Old 07-02-02, 07:20 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Originally posted by SDSC300
lexlikenother- so the conversion was pretty easy? to get the old bumper off and put on the new one.

do body shops usually paint the bumper 1st before they put them on?

also when was talking to the body shop guys they said they bake the bumper to get some oils or something out of it so the paint sticks better .. basicly what he said ?

Well I had alot of stuff to change out: Left fender, bumper, bumper absorber, left headlight (lowbeam), plus some of the stuff was bent out of place.....so it took me some time. But if all you are doing is the bumper, then it's not that hard at all. You just take off the lowbeams, take out the clips there, unbolt it from the fender and that's about it. Not much too it. I wasn't about to pay somebody $300 to put that stuff on, especially somebody that doesn't know half as much about my car as I do.

Yeah, that's the way it's done, paint it then put it on. But I wanted to make sure I could make it fit like I wanted to (no gaps at all lex luthor ) to make sure I didn't mess up the paint job.

I guess they bake it, I have no idea. I haven't gotten to that point yet. I still have to sue State Farm for the $1200 they owe me for this last wreck. So I can get my second new 97+ bumper, etc.
Old 07-02-02, 07:33 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I did email Steve actually to confirm there was only the 4 pieces he gave me for the rear, so Im sure he will email back with the part numbers and price tomorrow, and Ill post that. I looked at some pics of the 97 and up and the rear is definately different, not sure if I am going to go through doing that though....as those 2 little $79.00 pieces likely only fit on the new bumper anyways.

Now as to the high beams, do you think the retrofit to the 97 ones would be easy, maybe some rewiring? I figure it might be worth it to pick up a pair for $100 from a junk yard versus having the auto body guy f*** it up.

What ARE the differences between the older and newer headlights, I always thought they were the same ones.

I agree with painting and then putting it on....you would be charged more for having it taken off and then put back on, etc. etc. and I would definately get all the correct clips....I mean so what its an extra $40 for the side skirt clips. I wouldnt risk rigging them on.

Quick Reply: COMPLETE 2K conversion list and some other points and questions...