SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Clutch sinks all the way to the floor and does not come back up

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 09:33 PM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch sinks all the way to the floor and does not come back up

At first, the problem was that the clutch would goo down to the floor with still enough down play to engage the clutch. Which seemed fine by me since I am able to change into gear with no problems and did not have any issues with grinding and slipping.

But today was different.

I started to feel the clutch slip a little then it got worst. The clutch dropped all the way to the floor and no longer had any down play. I am no longer able to shift into gear.

My guess is that the clutch is having issues. I admit that I am left to guessing what the real issue is.

I am hoping that members of CL can advise me what the problem is.

What costs are involved.
Cost of parts.
Amount of time / labor involved.

I am also having problems with the AC which I suspect is the compressor. If the clutch is done, would the AC work be any easier?

Thank you all - this is a kick-*** forum and has been a source of information for me.
Old 07-11-10, 09:42 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like your clutch slave cylinder is prob leaking causing your clutch to lose the clutch oil, which is dot 3 brake fluid, and that makes the clutch not be able to engage the gear and stay flat on the floor. That happened to me when I had my Eclipse GST. The slaave cylinder shouldnt be more than $100, I think, but I dont know about the labor as my bro does all my labor
Old 07-11-10, 09:58 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

labor is easy on the slave. gonna take a minute to do the bleeding but thats easy too, just a little messy. couple of 12mm bolts, and just take care to not screw up the fitting for the hydro fluid.
Old 07-11-10, 10:01 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

You should check your clutch master cylinder which is located right next to your brake master cylinder. Make sure there is no wet carpet on the passenger floor mat which is a sign of a bad clutch master cylinder. I had the same problem as well. I changed out my clutch and slave cylinder but it didn't solve the problem, until i changed out my master cylinder. But you might wanna check out the slave cylinder just in case b/c its an easier fix. I've got a used one if you want one just pm me
Old 07-12-10, 12:06 AM
booga
Pole Position

The clutch master cylinder was right on the MINimum mark, but not low enough to put air into the system. I found no leaks in the clutch master cylinder, and have not seen any drops of fluid in the garage to indicate leaking of any kind. I went and looked for wet carpet on the passenger side and found none.

Would it be possible for the clutch master or slave cylinder to fail?

It seems that the first logical step is to bleed the clutch slave cylinder which i will have done first thing tomorrow.

Jiffy,
I appreciate the offer and of the slave cylinder. Shipping from NC is going to delay the fix longer than I can allow and I certainly do not want to put you out of your way.
Old 07-12-10, 12:29 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, all you have is the master, slave or the lines... So you can test the master by taking off the line directly off it, and pump the clutch pedal, if you have fluid coming out, you should be able to rule that out.

If that checks out, I would fill the system with fluid and attempt to bleed the clutch, you should be able to spot where fluid is coming out of or what is no working correctly.
Old 07-12-10, 07:38 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

does the pedal sing by its self? when you push it down it gets stuck? basically and you have to like rise it by hand? if its gets dont bother replacing the master or the slave cylinder you need a new pressure plate and clutch. because the pressure plate is warped.
Old 07-12-10, 08:20 AM
chelli
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
does the pedal sing by its self? when you push it down it gets stuck? basically and you have to like rise it by hand? if its gets dont bother replacing the master or the slave cylinder you need a new pressure plate and clutch. because the pressure plate is warped.
i dunno... it sounds more like the master/slave cylinder. Had the same problem before, after replacing both, it was good as gold again.
Old 07-12-10, 08:35 AM
booga
Pole Position

Here's a weird kicker to this problem.

My clutch problem has me filled with worry so I sat in the car late last night worrying about the costs. For kicks I stuck the key in the car and started the engine. I reached down and pulled the clutch pedal up manually, and to my surprise it popped up. I pressed down on the clutch and found that it had pressure and i can get into gear, and springs back up now.

What gives? What would make it start working again.

So in this thread four suggestions have been thrown in as possible fixes.
- Clutch Master Cylinder
- Clutch Slave Cylinder
- Bubbles in lines or bleed lines
- Pressure plate and clutch
Old 07-12-10, 08:51 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you top off the MC with fluid before that happened? If so, its probably a very slow leak somewhere.
Old 07-12-10, 08:57 AM
booga
Pole Position

I topped off the clutch MC 6 hours before that.
Old 07-12-10, 09:34 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would the passenger side get wet? stop giving false info. if passenger side is wet its a bad heater core not clutch. like i said it could be ur slave or master but unless there is a leak there is no reason for it to fail out of no where. you can pull the clutch back up but if it engages loww to the floor and starts sinking or getting stuck again stop driving it and replace the clutch and pressure plate. its a waste of time and money if you repplace things that dont need to be replaced. inspect the master and slave cylinders if there is no leak and ur not loosing fluid dont replace anything. first bleed the system same way you would a brake system. if the problem is still present replace the clutch and pressure plate.
Old 07-12-10, 02:14 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
Why would the passenger side get wet? stop giving false info. if passenger side is wet its a bad heater core not clutch..
Sorry but I had some friends that said that happened to them before. But you are right about it being the heater core though. So my apologies about that.

But from my experience with the same problem on my SC I changed out my clutch, slave cylinder, and master cylinder in that order. Not having any success until i changed out my master cylinder and found out that the inner piston went bad. I didn't have any leaks either so that's why I changed my clutch first. But every car is different so its a toss up. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 07-13-10, 10:45 AM
booga
Pole Position

Observed that the fluid did not look as clear as I expected it. Possible that the reservoir was topped off with something other than what is supposed to be in there.

Bleed the system - still does not work.

Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder - next.

I am hoping that it does not get as far as replacing the clutch and pressure plate. In any case, I should prepare for a new clutch just in case.
Old 07-13-10, 10:50 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

Does this kind of stuff happen a lot on manual transmission cars? I've been thinking about doing a transmission swap sometime, and down the road get a manual 300zx and Supra TT. I've never driven or owned a manual so I figured I'd ask.

Quick Reply: Clutch sinks all the way to the floor and does not come back up