SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

hit something on the freeway again, this time the bumper.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 12:06 AM
soulific
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default hit something on the freeway again, this time the bumper.

I hit something on the freeway tonight. last time my rim got damaged. This time its my bumper.

My shine auto bumper got cracked down the center on the front under side. The front is cracked but the bottom is actually split.

Just thought I would vent.

I noticed some other members with the same bumper just opted to get a new bumper rather then repair. Is there a reason for this? Does a repair not last?

Im gonna shoot my autobody guy makito a email right now.
Old 07-16-10, 12:33 AM
Baraka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn. I hope your body guy can handle the job.

This is the reason why I'm glad I have the stock 16" wheels and wouldn't go for more than 17", no matter what. And obviously lowering would be out of the question too.

You're lucky you don't live here (Toronto). There are plenty of bad streets and so many were actually made that way by idiots who begged the government to make their neighborhoods "safe". So, now we have countless streets with speed bumps and other "traffic calming devices". Of course, they do exactly the opposite and cause monster damage to all sorts of cars out there.

One example: a few weeks ago I was making a quick turn from one of our most major streets to a side street. The light was turning from red to green for oncoming traffic, so I had to move fast. And when I did make it onto that side street, I ended up going HARD over one of the bumps. Didn't see it because it was just after dark and a tree was covering the yellow sign which warned of the bump. BOOM!!!! Needless to say, I was furious. But when all was said and done, I was lucky and didn't have any damage.

My point is that, had my car been riding on 18+ inch metal it would have been DESTROYED going over that one bump. Especially if it had been lowered.

Anyway, rant over. Just know that those big wheels have a cost attached to them, especially if you live in a city (and province/state) which is waging a war on its drivers.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your baby fixed.
Old 07-16-10, 01:17 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Sigh.. I cracked my big win lip as well on the freeway... Sucks to have lower body parts.

Soulfic the reason why ppl opt to buy a new bumper is because the crack is at the bottom meaning if you fiberglass/bondo it you take any small impact (like scraping on ground getting up a driveway) in the same place its going crack again.

Your crack doesnt look so bad tho.
Old 07-16-10, 02:41 AM
soulific
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Sigh.. I cracked my big win lip as well on the freeway... Sucks to have lower body parts.

Soulfic the reason why ppl opt to buy a new bumper is because the crack is at the bottom meaning if you fiberglass/bondo it you take any small impact (like scraping on ground getting up a driveway) in the same place its going crack again.

Your crack doesnt look so bad tho.

thanks for the info. sorry to here about your lip.

the crack looks alot worse on the bottom. its actually split and broken apart on the bottom. Not just a crack.
Old 07-16-10, 07:14 AM
kln552
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feel your pain . . . I live in So. Calif. and have really noticed more debris on the fwy in recent years . . . state has no money, so stuff doesn't get removed as quickly.
Old 07-16-10, 07:19 AM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

I feel your pain, a few days after i got my front bumper sprayed, a blown tire decided to roll in front of me and crack my bumper