SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Carbon Fiber Vented Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-02, 09:54 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure well over 12 people here want an OEM-style carbon fiber hood, but GOOD LUCK getting even 6 to commit!!

One solution to the vent concerns would be to fabricate full plastic coverings for the engine compartment kind of like the LS430s have.
Old 07-08-02, 05:41 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb WHERE THE VENTS SHOULD GO

Here is a raw pic of a vented SC hood. This is probably
more in line what the Majority are looking for, in terms of a vent.
(There is one at each side of the hood)
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Vented Hood-bma_abecchi_fwindow.jpg  
Old 07-08-02, 06:22 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WHERE THE VENTS SHOULD GO

Originally posted by ToeJam300
Here is a raw pic of a vented SC hood. This is probably
more in line what the Majority are looking for, in terms of a vent.
(There is one at each side of the hood)
That is what I want on my car, but I will ask again since I have gotten no response, what about water going into the engine compartment, are they only for show or what? Where can you get those vents and how much are they?
Old 07-08-02, 08:22 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I agree. Those vents look good and functional. Water would only drop on the strut caps. Air flow would be increased and effcient.

Carbon fiber with those vents would be optimum.
Old 07-08-02, 08:24 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

there's a bunch of cars that have venting around or over the engine compartments, and I wonder if there isn't something that they do to allow venting and get around the water issue also.
Old 07-08-02, 08:48 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

I want these!

http://overboost.com/pix.asp?image=....l/p1010044.jpg
Old 07-08-02, 10:27 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by mcnelson
I want these!

http://overboost.com/pix.asp?image=....l/p1010044.jpg
So why not just buy the vents and install them? Doesn't seem worth it to me to request a hood maker to make an OEM hood and then just cut the same holes that anybody with reasonable care and patience couldn't do themselves (or have a custom shop do if you don't feel comfortable cutting your $699 hood)

-Walter
Old 07-08-02, 10:36 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Question cost of OEM hood from Lexus

BTW - Does everybody realize Lexus wants $514 for just the hood *shell*? And that that and the insulator hood and various seals add over $300 more to the cost?

I really think getting a CF hood for less than $700 is a steal. But that's just my $0.02...

-Walter

Last edited by wmulli; 07-08-02 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-08-02, 11:19 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

$700 is a steal if it fits right. Usually quality carbon fiber hoods run around $1500-2000. I think OEM style would be the winner here, the problem for me is that CF looks very odd on my champaign gold-colored car. Any other color car would match the hood better.
Old 07-08-02, 11:26 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lex400sc
$700 is a steal if it fits right. Usually quality carbon fiber hoods run around $1500-2000. I think OEM style would be the winner here, the problem for me is that CF looks very odd on my champaign gold-colored car. Any other color car would match the hood better.
You have a beautiful car lex400sc, but my own opinion is that the carbon black would be a sharp accent to your champagne gold. I'm afraid it's going to look rather stark on my Pearl White :eek:

-Walter
Old 07-09-02, 06:14 AM
ndisgii
Driver School Candidate

Question Question??

Are CF hoods paintable without any problems?? I like the lightweight idea, but I dont particularly care for the CF look. Just curious?? Thanks in advance!! Take care!!
Old 07-09-02, 10:21 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't heard of any instances where the CF hood isn't paintable, in fact, painting it will probably protect it better from UV rays (The CF hoods will be painted with UV protection right?) If this CF hood deal comes through I was going to paint it black anyways.

I PMed Erick G (who has a sweet *** Veilside GS) and he hasn't had any problems with having the air vent where it is.
Old 07-09-02, 10:57 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Much as I love CF, not painting will look great to those that know what it is, but to those that don't, ppl will say 'look at that guy with the nice Lex, but how could he just throw on a hood from a Black car and not paint it to match? Hmm, ghetto.' On the same token, if you're gonna paint it anyway, why get oem style, all you get is a completely stock looking SC unless you look at the underside of the hood, so why do it? Weight reduction? Hmm, the SC needs more HP before you start worrying about a few lbs, especially when you consider the cost of the hood and painting, so why not at least have it look like you spent some money on it and get a vented CF hood and spray it? Just my opinion, to each their own.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Vented Hood-compressed-polished-lips-front.jpg  
Old 07-09-02, 07:50 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by wmulli

So why not just buy the vents and install them? Doesn't seem worth it to me to request a hood maker to make an OEM hood and then just cut the same holes that anybody with reasonable care and patience couldn't do themselves (or have a custom shop do if you don't feel comfortable cutting your $699 hood)

-Walter
Yeah, so where can I get them, and how much?
Old 07-09-02, 08:36 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

Hey every body, Brendan from import hookup just got back to me.

He can do both vented and oem style hoods if we get 7 or 8+ of each style.

Brendan also brought up a good point, as for the rain issue the location of the vent is right where their is a gap (at least in my sc400) so the rain water would fall straight through the engine bay.

If your still not convinced you could simply rig up a piece of plastic to cover the vent or have your local body shop close it up. This would not be too expensive due to the fact that it is a simple task

We need people who are seriously commited not just window shoppers.

Manaray- i know you are organizing the group buys so here is brendans email NuTiNBuTCaSh@aol.com

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Vented Hood