SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Carbon Fiber Vented Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-02, 10:46 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brendan just confirmed for me what Neal posted. We need 8 buyers for each type in order to get this train rolling.

Time to step up to the plate fellas! If you're SERIOUS about wanting a hood (either style) let me know via email at wmulli@optonline.net.

BTW - Brendan said they needed an OEM hood as a model. If things work out, I *may* be able to let them use mine. Depends on timing and duration. We'll see. As a backup, anybody got a hood they could lend?

Lastly, somebody asked about picking up in NJ. I'm in central NJ and I wouldn't mind having hoods shipped to my house if people want to come pick them up. I've asked Brendan the same (he's in NY). I'll let you know what he says.

To recap - we're looking at putting together a group buy for newly manufactured Carbon Fiber hoods for the SC300/400 cars. These hoods are top quality with rolled edges, CF reinforcing, pre-drilled holes for hinges and window washers, and come with UV coating. Yes, they are paintable for those who don't like the "CF" look. The hoods can be made in either OEM or "vented" style. The vents will come with a "grill". We need 8 people to commit to a style before the manufacturer will make it. Cost is $699 + shipping. Shipping is $135 per hood. Shipping costs drop if you get more than one hood delivered to a single address. Shipping for two hoods come down $80 each, etc. I am willing to be a "drop site" in central NJ for anyone who wants to come pick it up. I will be happy to get the discount on my shipping

I think that covers it, anything I missed, drop me an email.

Thanks,
-Walter
Old 07-10-02, 07:27 AM
Mreald
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2 cents

I have worked with GT series race cars and we used a hood design very similar to the one being discussed with the reversed vent. It was designed to work with a slanted radiator where air would enter in the front of the car through the air dam and then pass through the radiator and then out the vent in the hood and up and over the car. When road course racing you want to keep as much air out of the car and from under the car as possible. You manipulate engine tempature with radiator size, possition and angle just to name a few factors involved. When you can keep the air out of the car and from under the car you can create better down force causing the car to stick better to the track. There are many factors that come into play when dealing with venting of the engine compartment. There are many designs and opintions on this subject. To best see what design works for you, you would need access to a wind tunnel and some deep pockets. As far as the question about getting water in your engine compartment. If you put a hole in your hood you are going to get something wet. And that is a FACT. Add a fan blowing on it and everything gets wet. Race cars that on occasion have to race in the rain are prepaired before hand by sealing everything possible with protective coatings or sealants such as silicone. But even this sometimes fails and you are left cripled with the moisture gremlins that can leave you limping around the track instead of racing.

This may be too much info but it is hard to cover everthing involved here.
Old 07-10-02, 04:14 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Mreald, thx for the info. wmulli, if your man Brendan in NY can be a drop ship site and I can avoid the $135 in shipping, i'm definitely interested, especially if a screen is included for the vent, i'll just 'glass over that area. Keep us informed.
- LL
Old 07-10-02, 04:27 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Hey mreald, nice post! Thanx for the good info!

Lex, yes, Brendan agreed to be a "drop ship point" for NY. He said he's located near Poughkeepsie, about 1.5 hrs north of NYC. For those of you in the NYC area, I'm only about 50 minutes south of NYC.

I had an idea I was going to suggest to Brendan. How about having the vent style hoods made with the vent closed and just include the grill as an "extra" part. Then the people who wanted to open the vent would only have to carve and grill

OK, I've got two takers so far. Would this idea of having the vent closed off attract any others?

Tnx,
-Walter
Old 07-10-02, 04:48 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Exxxactly what i'm looking for, brother, mould it with vent closed and include a grill, i'm sure he wouldn't mind making them that way. Stock hinges and squirters will bolt right up, correct? No hood pins needed? What part of NJ are you in? I could basically pick up from either of you, so my cost would be $699 outright, yes? Lastly, i'll ask around and see if any locals are interested, let me know when you have an idea how long to produce these.
Thx Walter,
- Jon
Old 07-10-02, 05:37 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

I emailed you Walter.

A few questions though, is it possible to have the vent cut out prior to picking it up? I would really like to keep the rounded edges and not personally take a saw to a CF hood. Also, any way for Brendan to make a Carbon Fiber plate about 1cm larger all around than the vent? Something of that size would be perfect to cover the vent, it could probably be attached from the other side of the hood via a plate; just a thought.

What's the eta on these hoods? I might be making a trip to NY, if I do then I can pick it up. Any ideas when this will get officially put into the "Group Buys" section?

Nick

Last edited by hellasboy; 07-10-02 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-10-02, 07:42 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Nick, just make sure you stop by casa de' Luthor...
Old 07-10-02, 08:07 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by hellasboy
I emailed you Walter.

A few questions though, is it possible to have the vent cut out prior to picking it up? I would really like to keep the rounded edges and not personally take a saw to a CF hood. Also, any way for Brendan to make a Carbon Fiber plate about 1cm larger all around than the vent? Something of that size would be perfect to cover the vent, it could probably be attached from the other side of the hood via a plate; just a thought.
Here we're getting into the classical "tug of opposites". No matter which way we have the hoods made, somebody will want it different

UPDATE from Brendan - He says it would be a ***** to cut the CF without ruining it. He said best answer is to manufacture it with the vent open and grill in place. Then the people that want it closed can glue/epoxy/bondo a piece of black plastic behind it (or any competent body shop can do it cheap). That way, it will still *look* like you've got a real vent. (Guess those of you in the rainforest will have to carry a big sponge to clean it out at the stoplights )
What's the eta on these hoods? I might be making a trip to NY, if I do then I can pick it up.
As for the ETA, that's a bit tougher to answer.

First condition is that we get enough people to place the order. We need 8 to order a style. Currently we have 4 for the vented style vs. *ZERO* for the OEM style!! Where are all the people proclaiming the only thing people wanted were the OEM style??? C'mon guys, talk is cheap!

Second condition is that the manufacturer needs an OEM hood to work from. I *may* be able to lend mine (IF I can fit it into my vacation time, and IF I can figure out how to explain it to my wife )
Any ideas when this will get officially put into the "Group Buys" section?.
As for getting into the "group buys" section - Neal, are you handling that?
Nick
Walter
Old 07-10-02, 08:19 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Default Re: My 2 cents

Originally posted by Mreald
I have worked with GT series race cars and we used a hood design very similar to the one being discussed with the reversed vent. It was designed to work with a slanted radiator where air would enter in the front of the car through the air dam and then pass through the radiator and then out the vent in the hood and up and over the car. When road course racing you want to keep as much air out of the car and from under the car as possible. You manipulate engine tempature with radiator size, possition and angle just to name a few factors involved. When you can keep the air out of the car and from under the car you can create better down force causing the car to stick better to the track. There are many factors that come into play when dealing with venting of the engine compartment. There are many designs and opintions on this subject. To best see what design works for you, you would need access to a wind tunnel and some deep pockets. As far as the question about getting water in your engine compartment. If you put a hole in your hood you are going to get something wet. And that is a FACT. Add a fan blowing on it and everything gets wet. Race cars that on occasion have to race in the rain are prepaired before hand by sealing everything possible with protective coatings or sealants such as silicone. But even this sometimes fails and you are left cripled with the moisture gremlins that can leave you limping around the track instead of racing.

This may be too much info but it is hard to cover everthing involved here.
I just *knew* I'd seen this somewhere before! The '66 Cobra Daytona coupes had a setup like that, slanted radiator with a big 'ole vent behind it in the hood. They got around the water problems by putting a plate between the radiator and the engine bay that channeled the air up through the vent. Pretty clever, but I doubt we have enough space to do anything similar

-Walter
Old 07-10-02, 08:25 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Exxxactly what i'm looking for, brother, mould it with vent closed and include a grill, i'm sure he wouldn't mind making them that way. Stock hinges and squirters will bolt right up, correct? No hood pins needed? What part of NJ are you in? I could basically pick up from either of you, so my cost would be $699 outright, yes? Lastly, i'll ask around and see if any locals are interested, let me know when you have an idea how long to produce these.
Thx Walter,
- Jon
See my earlier posts about the opening...

As for hood pins, I don't know! The photos I've seen haven't shown any hood pins, but I'd better ask...

Shipping multiple hoods to one location *reduces* the shipping cost per hood, but it doesn't just disappear For two hoods, the shipping drops to $80 per hood and gets cheaper as more hoods go to the same drop point. I'll have to get specifics when we have firmer numbers.

-Walter
Old 07-10-02, 08:53 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

nope, i won't be doing the group buy. Our good buddy manray will take car of the group buy stuff.
Old 07-11-02, 03:53 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want this to be a "real" group buy, email me with ALL the details. Prices, ship dates, does it need hood pins, etc... gs430@mac.com
Old 07-12-02, 08:28 AM
Mistical
Rookie

Talking

I love my Metallic Sapphire Pearl Lexus....if this hood couldn't be painted to match, then I wouldn't bother.
Old 07-12-02, 12:38 PM
1tightlex
Driver School Candidate

I've e-mailed manaray and we've pretty much got the group buy worked out. He said everything looks good and the group buy should be up very soon. thanks

Brendan
Import Hookup
914-464-8309

PS: hoods are paintable

Last edited by 1tightlex; 07-12-02 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-13-02, 10:54 AM
Italianfireman
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus SC carbon fiber hood

I actually like the hood, but would like to know what the price would be? Also, with the cool air coming in the front grille and exciting out the vent it would indeed create a Venturi affect and draw hot air out of the engine bay. I don't drive my SC in the rain so that's not a problem. Thanks for the carbon fiber items......keep em coming!!!

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Vented Hood