SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Carbon Fiber Vented Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-02, 10:58 AM
Italianfireman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus SC carbon fiber hood part II

Sorry, I missed the thread with the price and shipping info. I will e-mail you directly in regards to purchasing one. Thanks again!
Old 07-13-02, 11:01 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lexus SC carbon fiber hood

Originally posted by Italianfireman
I actually like the hood, but would like to know what the price would be? Also, with the cool air coming in the front grille and exciting out the vent it would indeed create a Venturi affect and draw hot air out of the engine bay. I don't drive my SC in the rain so that's not a problem. Thanks for the carbon fiber items......keep em coming!!!
We seem to have two threads going about these CF hoods, this one and one in the "poll about CF hoods". I don't want to cross post, so you should check both threads. Hopefully when Manaray gets the group buy thread going, all the info will be in one place.

But to answer your question, $699 plus shipping (about $130 for one hood, gets cheaper if you have more hoods delivered to one address).

Thanks!
-Walter
Old 07-13-02, 11:22 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Lightbulb ?

Allright, Im not sure if anybody's gotten water under their hood, but from my experience, its not a fun ride. Even if you can keep the air intake completely dry, dont forget about the spark plugs. The spark plug cover isn't waterproof and as soon as water gets down into them, the misfires begin. No, its no permanent problem, yeah you can dry 'em, but i hated riding around with jumps for a few days. Do you know if the guy who designed the cf hoods take the spk plug location into account Neal, cause Id be interested in one if it will miss that spot?
Old 07-15-02, 05:27 PM
1tightlex
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Group Buy Has Started

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=52393
Old 07-15-02, 06:20 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

Does anyone ordering have a black SC? I was wondering if it would look good. Here's some pics I found of a vented hood on an SC.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Vented Hood-ventedhood.jpg  
Old 07-16-02, 12:55 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THE GROUP BUY HAS NOT STARTED!

We have NOT worked out all the issues to insure that our members get what they paid for. Please do NOT pay until all issues have been worked out.

I hate to be rather harsh about this one but I did not authorize the group buy for these to be posted yet.

Once this group buy is ready, I will post it. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Old 07-16-02, 03:34 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Default Re: ?

Originally posted by undefeatedsc3
Allright, Im not sure if anybody's gotten water under their hood, but from my experience, its not a fun ride. Even if you can keep the air intake completely dry, dont forget about the spark plugs. The spark plug cover isn't waterproof and as soon as water gets down into them, the misfires begin. No, its no permanent problem, yeah you can dry 'em, but i hated riding around with jumps for a few days. Do you know if the guy who designed the cf hoods take the spk plug location into account Neal, cause Id be interested in one if it will miss that spot?
FWIW - I haven't had this problem with my Lex, and I've washed the engine several times now. However, I *did* get water in the distributor of my ZX one time. Tried to just drive around 'til it dried. BIG MISTAKE!! The problem isn't the annoying rough running, it's the unburned fuel getting to the catalytic converter! This extra fuel causes the cat to get so hot it turns cherry red (no kidding!!). This could cause fires at worst, or premature failure of your cat at least.

DON'T DRIVE IF YOU'VE GOT SHORTS IN YOUR IGNITION!!!

Dry it out first!!!!! (WD40 works wonders!)

-Walter
Old 07-16-02, 04:58 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Thx manny
- Jon
Old 07-16-02, 07:49 AM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Walt-
I think we're on different wavelengths....I was skipping fires on two cylinders because I used the engine cleaner on the headers, engine, and a little got on the spark plug cover....when I rinsed it off, the water went through the space and got in the spark plugs. I had to wait a little over a day before I could dry it up with just a towel...but I was hoping the vent in the hood wouldn't allow water to go through to that spot. ....Maybe that helps explain?
-Buck
Old 07-16-02, 08:19 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by undefeatedsc3
Walt-
I think we're on different wavelengths....I was skipping fires on two cylinders because I used the engine cleaner on the headers, engine, and a little got on the spark plug cover....when I rinsed it off, the water went through the space and got in the spark plugs. I had to wait a little over a day before I could dry it up with just a towel...but I was hoping the vent in the hood wouldn't allow water to go through to that spot. ....Maybe that helps explain?
-Buck
Sorry, guess we're drifting a bit off topic. As for the vent in the hood, NOBODY knows yet because they don't exist yet. The best info we have is from the Supra owners who have a very similar design. As far as I know, nobody has reported any problems with water coming in. Brendan said he even looked under the hood when one of his cutomers came in from driving in the rain and said he only saw a few (insignificant) drops.

As for my tirade about not driving with an ignition miss, the point I was trying to make is anytime you're running with a missing cylinder (for whatever reason), you're dumping raw gas into the cat. THIS IS A BIG NO NO!!!

-Thanks!
-Walter
Old 07-16-02, 08:22 AM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Allright, I understand now, thanks buddy.
-Buck
Old 07-16-02, 09:47 AM
Mistical
Rookie

Lightbulb

Doesen't heat rise? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a vent higher up on the hood? Meaning, closer to the windshield like the BMW 330's? Don't you want the air from your fan to pass by the engine as well? Wouldn't your fan blow air right out the engine compartment via this vent? Would that as good of a design as one up closer to the wind shield? I understand that any relaease of hot air will be beneficial, but I took notice to our 330 and thought the location of the vent was very smart.
Old 07-18-02, 03:25 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Hood Group Buy

Here is the link...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=52618