SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc400 for 1600$ ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 11:53 PM
RB26DETT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 for 1600$ ????

Is it normal that a person sells his car at this price i went to see it 2day and all no problem, need some minor repairs but still i wanted to ask about it

Heres the link for the car:

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ208760567
Old 07-18-10, 12:10 AM
tjfrom215
Rookie

ide deff buy it for a parts car, seems cool, Ide go for it for sure if you dont mind putting in the work! and I love the rb26 btw!
Old 07-18-10, 12:14 AM
RB26DETT
Driver School Candidate

lol thanks. Call me crazy but if I buy this Sc, i wanna put another rb26dett or rb25
Old 07-18-10, 12:16 AM
Baraka
Driver School Candidate

I don't know the rules in Quebec (in Toronto here), but you might want to run this through an emissions test to see if it blows clean. If not, that could be a sign of some more serious problems that need to be tended to. Also, if you have a safety certification process- mandatory for sales in Ontario- then that would probably worth it too. In any case, have an experienced, skilled, knowledgeable mechanic put it on a hoist and take a look at it.

I have a '92 myself which I bought last October. It was/is tip-top and has half the miles of yours. But I still needed to replace the rear cross member sub frame in the end, plus its six control arms, along with the main rear lower control arms. And also a couple of fuel lines. They were all severely corroded. Living in Canada with all the salt on the roads in the winter WILL lead to rot and corrosion. You should definitely check for it before you buy.

Shocks don't cost very much ($200?), rotors are probably around the same, you can get lucky for under $100 for the wheel, you might be able to get an alternator for a bit less, a new battery is pretty much standard in price (just make sure it ain't the starter that's bad!!), and the paint job will probably run you around $2000. After all, that kind of paint isn't exactly common. It's the same with my colour (garnet red).

You should also check to see that the A/C is working perfectly. Same with the heater. And the heated seats. And the stereo/radio/CD changer. The antenna looks like a problem, but maybe not. Are either of the headlights foggy or dirty? I see you'll need a new left mirror. Make sure that the mirrors are adjustable, otherwise you'll need a new ECU. Check the tires too and see how much tread is left on them because new tires are a pretty big expense. Don't forget to look for rust, especially on the inside of the doors and on the underside where rust is really prone to spreading. And if any lights are on in your instrument panel, definitely beware. I may have finally gotten over a lousy oxygen sensor problem which I've been dealing with since day one.

There are others who know far, FAR more about this car than I do. Like Goalie Bill . He told me to check my sub frame. Sure enough, it was bad. If you keep this thread alive, then chances are he'll pitch in soon enough.

The bottom line is that if you buy a car- any car- even if it's for a few hundred dollars, you should definitely know what your liability will be BEFOREHAND. You might have $2000 to spend on it now, but what if it needs another $4000 in work? Do you really have that much to spend? Don't leave anything to chance, or surprise. Or you'll be sorry.

Last edited by Baraka; 07-18-10 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-18-10, 12:20 AM
RB26DETT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Baraka
I don't know the rules in Quebec (in Toronto here), but you might want to run this through an emissions test to see if it blows clean. If not, that could be a sign of some more serious problems that need to be tended to. Also, if you have a safety certification process- mandatory for sales in Ontario- then that would probably worth it too. In any case, have an experienced, skilled, knowledgeable mechanic put it on a hoist and take a look at it.

I have a '92 myself which I bought last October. It was/is tip-top and has half the miles of yours. But I still needed to replace the rear cross member sub frame in the end, plus its six control arms, along with the main rear lower control arms. And also a couple of fuel lines. They were all severely corroded. Living in Canada with all the salt on the roads in the winter WILL lead to rot and corrosion. You should definitely check for it before you buy.

Shocks don't cost very much ($200?), rotors are probably around the same, you can get lucky for under $100 for the wheel, you might be able to get an alternator for a bit less, a new battery is pretty much standard in price (just make sure it ain't the starter that's bad!!), and the paint job will probably run you around $2000. After all, that kind of paint isn't exactly common. It's the same with my colour (garnet red).

You should also check to see that the A/C is working perfectly. Same with the heater. And the heated seats. And the stereo/radio/CD changer. The antenna looks like a problem, but maybe not. Are either of the headlights foggy or dirty? I see you'll need a new left mirror. Make sure that the mirrors are adjustable, otherwise you'll need a new ECU. Check the tires too and see how much tread is left on them because new tires are a pretty big expense. And if any lights are on in your instrument panel, definitely beware. I may have finally gotten over a lousy oxygen sensor problem which I've been dealing with since day one.

There are other who knows far, FAR more about this car than I do. Like Goalie Bill . He told me to check my sub frame. Sure enough, it was bad. If you keep this thread alive, then chances are he'll pitch in soon enough.
Wow thanks bro for the info now that i can inspect that way, but a question if i run it through dyno will give me it's problem??
Old 07-18-10, 12:25 AM
Baraka
Driver School Candidate

A dyno ain't enough. You need a legitimate e-test. You might want to make the drive to Ottawa to have one done. Check for rust/rot/corrosion EVERYWHERE so you know what's a problem today. Because tomorrow that rot can totally junk your car. The key is having a good mechanic who is willing to tell you the truth about the car, and who can work with you through the problems. And knowing where to find parts doesn't hurt either
Old 07-18-10, 12:48 AM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"This is a collection car if you can fix it well it will last a lifetime."

he sold me with that line
Old 07-18-10, 02:02 AM
sckyle
Driver School Candidate

buy it and part it out
Old 07-18-10, 09:27 AM
Lamar9875
Driver School Candidate

I bought my 400 for 1600 and it's the best decision car wise I've made, just had a few oil leaks, so its in the shop now .
Old 07-18-10, 09:33 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Take it to a mechanic and let them check oit out in more detail, if you arent capable of doing it. Then make your decision. I paid 2K for mine with only 133K on it. Thats a decision you will have to make. Are you going to have the time and money to fix anything? Thats the biggie!
Old 07-18-10, 09:51 AM
DKJZZ30
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by V8drummer
"This is a collection car if you can fix it well it will last a lifetime."

he sold me with that line
ha ha me too
Old 07-18-10, 09:01 PM
Baraka
Driver School Candidate

RB26DETT: let us know what happens with the car eh?
Old 07-18-10, 09:09 PM
RB26DETT
Driver School Candidate

I'll go chek it out tomorow since the dude works
Old 07-18-10, 09:51 PM
ZPEED
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RB26DETT
Is it normal that a person sells his car at this price i went to see it 2day and all no problem, need some minor repairs but still i wanted to ask about it

Heres the link for the car:

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ208760567
300,000km? too much headache for this car that's why he sell it for cheap..
Old 07-18-10, 09:59 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Check the car out first in person and if you think its a deal after that then buy it.....That price is a deal, even if you need to fix a few things.

Quick Reply: sc400 for 1600$ ????