SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

This is some b.s!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 02:28 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like battery cables, if the wire is loose and not making a very good connection it will heat up. If you have ever had a loose battery cable, and touch it, you will notice it gets VERY hot, to the melting point.

This is the same with spark plug wires, if the connection is bad, the wire can heat up, possibly causing it to melt. You say the wire keeps coming off, you need to find a way to secure the wires on their, weither its getting a new cap and wires or whatever needs to be done. Then you can go further with your diagnostics.

Like others have said, a hot turbo/manifold can also melt things, You may want to consider a heat coating, or heat wrap on your manifold to keep temps down.

Post some pics of exactly whats happening. Without you touching anything, just open you hood and take a pic of the wires, manifold, turbo.
Old 07-20-10, 06:29 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Look for any melted or warped plastic inside and out, check the tab for the wire retaining clip to be sure its not damaged. If your still not sure, remove it take some pics and post them up.
thanks if i dont notice anything melted i will take pics. so you guys could take a look

Originally Posted by wayne
Post pics of your engine bay so we can see what your talking about. Never heard of a problem like that. In for pics.
Wayne.. is this the setup you put 427 with?....i'll post up pic's of my setup as soon as i could stay out of my engine bay long enough to keep my pipping clean.

Originally Posted by T4-Teg
Just like battery cables, if the wire is loose and not making a very good connection it will heat up. If you have ever had a loose battery cable, and touch it, you will notice it gets VERY hot, to the melting point.

This is the same with spark plug wires, if the connection is bad, the wire can heat up, possibly causing it to melt. You say the wire keeps coming off, you need to find a way to secure the wires on their, weither its getting a new cap and wires or whatever needs to be done. Then you can go further with your diagnostics.

Like others have said, a hot turbo/manifold can also melt things, You may want to consider a heat coating, or heat wrap on your manifold to keep temps down.

Post some pics of exactly whats happening. Without you touching anything, just open you hood and take a pic of the wires, manifold, turbo.
How i see it if i'm going to have to take almost everything down to get the manifold coated it mine as well be worth it. so if that becomes the case then am starting to consider coil packs because in my opinion i think they are less of a headache and it frees up enough room so that i can get a intake on my blower. if i dont go that route then i might just change up the manifold. please correct me if i don't know what i'm talking about

but i will check it out and see what it looks like in the cap and see what needs to be done!
Old 07-20-10, 04:53 PM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. That was a new setup I was going to put in my GS. Had the same hp goals though.
Old 07-21-10, 09:06 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wayne
No. That was a new setup I was going to put in my GS. Had the same hp goals though.
so how much did my set put down?
Old 07-21-10, 09:33 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Default This is what happened.

now here are the pictures of whats going on:

^took the cap off and you can see the glare of oil on the rim^

^how close the blower is to the cap^

^the tag team combo of heat^

^I noticed some kind of dirty stuff^

^seemed to be semi dried up oil don't know how it got there^

^cleaned it up^

and after putting everything back together i notice the car doing the same thing which is idle a bit rough and after letting it warm up for like 5mins it would go back to normal. i'm starting to think it's the fuel system i might be getting to much fuel on a start up. idk just a thought. because if it was because of the heat it would start up fine because the car is still cool and when it warms up it would start to act funny...
Old 07-21-10, 12:34 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That gunk on the heat shield is oil seeping from behind the distributor itself, so replacing the o-ring between the head and dizzy will solve that. As for everything else, I think your just experiening a bad case of heat soak and its causing the wire to pop-out..although I have never seen/heard of it before, there is a first for everything.
Old 07-21-10, 01:32 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

what kind of manifold do you have. I have never seen the turbo outlet rest on the distributor like that. clearly the turbo is getting it ridiculously hot and also your distributor o-ring is leaking (quite normal on most older 2jz-ge).
As I said you should get the 4-runner cap which the leads don't stick straight out like that.

just for reference my turbo doesn't sit that close and recently I noticed the bottom half of my TPS connector, which is all the way on the throttle body, has deformed and looks like it will eventually melt just from radiant heat from the turbo for about a year.
alot of na-t members here know the joys of wrapping wires and important lines on the entire exhaust side of the engine.
Old 07-21-10, 05:38 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by turbodremz
That gunk on the heat shield is oil seeping from behind the distributor itself, so replacing the o-ring between the head and dizzy will solve that. As for everything else, I think your just experiening a bad case of heat soak and its causing the wire to pop-out..although I have never seen/heard of it before, there is a first for everything.
i figured it had to be something like that... quick question is the inside of the cap suppose to have a made in Italy stamp?lol

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
what kind of manifold do you have. I have never seen the turbo outlet rest on the distributor like that. clearly the turbo is getting it ridiculously hot and also your distributor o-ring is leaking (quite normal on most older 2jz-ge).
As I said you should get the 4-runner cap which the leads don't stick straight out like that.

just for reference my turbo doesn't sit that close and recently I noticed the bottom half of my TPS connector, which is all the way on the throttle body, has deformed and looks like it will eventually melt just from radiant heat from the turbo for about a year.
alot of na-t members here know the joys of wrapping wires and important lines on the entire exhaust side of the engine.
could i get a reference page of something to the cap?
Old 07-21-10, 07:17 PM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
so how much did my set put down?
Never got a chance to install it. So i'm living threw your experience and seeing what it could do.
Old 07-21-10, 07:28 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Oooo....