SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Paint job

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-02, 03:59 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint job

How much should i expect to pay for a high quality paint job? i need to change the color not repaint it black...
Old 07-04-02, 05:05 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

A good quality paint job ranges from 1500+ depending on the shop. Price should include door jams, hood area and trunk.
Old 07-04-02, 06:07 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

cool thanks
Old 07-04-02, 10:02 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the price varies according to where you are located...

It would cost at least 3000 plus to get the whole chasis painted here in Michigan
Old 07-04-02, 10:33 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Yes, 3000 sounds right to me....
Old 07-04-02, 10:53 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Come down to canada and get it done here than!

I was quoted 3 grand canadian.

the process is

take off each part/panel/piece to be painted
sand it down
prime it
paint (dipped)
clear (dipped)

it would take around 1 month to do
Old 07-04-02, 10:59 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

you mean up to Caaannnnaaaaddddaaaa

anyways I think the paint job would at least cost you 5k
I think you would want multiply coats of paint+clear
Old 07-04-02, 11:20 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I repainted an entire car before. Not easy or cheap when changing color.

A truly high quality job would require removal of most equipment and door trim. I drew a line at the interior, and similar line in the engine bay where vertical met horizontal. Otherwise you will go nuts.

Then... I took the car to a mineral blasting company. They blasted the entire car head to toe for only $800.

This removed all paint, wax, etc... Any bondo from previous issues or dings that were filled. Next was to take it to the shop. We wrapped the car in plastic and flat bed towed it to the shop.

Then, I called one of these dentmagic guys to pull all the dings and settle the previous scars as best as possible... $125

The body shop taped it off and shot it with primer, sanded for smoothing of any imperfections, shot color, color, clear, clear, clear. $1500

Finally, I reassembled all the trim and door parts.

That car was of show quality, and painted ppg 0001 BLACK. I choose not to go metallic so that in the future chance of any blemish, the individual part can be sanded, painted, and MATCH.
Old 07-05-02, 06:45 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Repaint of the same color (pearl white) was going to cost me $2200, that's factory quality. To change to black, they wanted $3500.

When talking to the shop and getting quotes, ask them what they have to remove to paint it. If they tell you "oh we don't take off much, we can just tape everything" LEAVE! A good paint shop will take off all accessories (lights, etc), the doors, front bumper, etc. That's how to do it right.

SR
Old 07-05-02, 07:12 AM
krypto
Driver

just throwin in my half cent.....I hope your getting it painted becouse it really really needs it....

I've had many cars painted and everybody here is right a good paint job is 3k at least....BUT no paint job I mean no paint job is factory quality, can't be done. Yeah I know there's very very good show quality jobs out there, but just imagine what the factory machines could do.....anybody ever see that tricked out ford paint multi color?

Guess what I'm trying to say is don't be like me and alot of other people and get it painted thinking it's gonna be as good as stock...Nothing sucks more than paying 3k and being somewhat dissapointed....
Old 07-05-02, 11:54 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by krypto
BUT no paint job I mean no paint job is factory quality, can't be done. Yeah I know there's very very good show quality jobs out there, but just imagine what the factory machines could do.....anybody ever see that tricked out ford paint multi color?
Most *good* bodyshops can do a much better paint job than factory. Most factory paintjobs still have some orangepeel effect in them, not smooth. You can easily spend $7k on a paintjob to get it perfect.

As for the colorchange paint, you're thinking of Mystic. Ford used a toned down version of "Kameleon Kolors" on the mystic cobras, then put it on some minivans and some probes. If you want to see the full blown colorchange stuff, check out:

http://www.standox.com/colors/englis...iv/excline.htm

I like the color "Interlagos Fire," but there's already an SC with it

SR

Old 07-05-02, 12:35 PM
krypto
Driver

sooo true......how much for the little girl....lol
Old 07-05-02, 03:17 PM
TNH
Pole Position

A correctly done (non ghetto) color change (far different than a paint job) will cost you at least $5k. To do a truly nice color change, ALL parts need to be removed from the firewall, the hood and fenders need to come off, and the door jambs need to be painted.

A non ghetto paintjob requires minimal/non existent masking.....this means removal of almost every single item on the car.

It kills me to see a hot paint job on a nice car, and then have the hood popped to reveal a diferent color engine compartment (or a badly masked color changed engine compartment).

If you are going to do it, make sure you pay the money to have it done right.....you will not regret it. I had a chevy truck color changed to platinum silver from a nasty blue color, and I blasted the entire body myself to remove all of the existing paint (chevy trucks from 88+ had a seriosuly problem with the stock paint flaking off). every thing on the truck was removed, all windows, the interior, etc, until it was a bare shell. I had the entire thing sprayed with the new paint, even the underside of the bed and cab (which chevy didn't even do when the truck was brand new).
Even though it was a ton of work, the truck came out perfect. It was definitely worth it.
Old 07-05-02, 10:29 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default heres some pix

http://www.pbase.com/xavier/snow_talon

that was my toy car, i painted myself, i had about 30 hours into the paint job, i also took apart the car, bumpers, lights, moldings etc., and that was just a repaint, original color. In those pix i still needed to give it that final buffing. i shot heavy on the clear simply because i like that wet look, i cant help myself.

not bad for my track car

a good color change (not a show change) you need to yank the engine out, sad but true, you need to remove bumpers, radiator, moldings, window trim, door and trunk seals, and some interior, BUT you wil have a NICE repaint, not a show quality because you will see the original color if you look for it.

so figure on $3000-3500 without yanking out the engine.

so really, just repaint it the same color, the SHINNY NEW paint will make you fall inlove with your car again, unless you really hate the color.

-Xavier-