SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

power steering question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-02, 10:04 PM
AVRsc4dub
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering question

i have a question... before everytime i start up my car in a cold start it would make a wierd whinning sound and when it warms up it goes away,but now like 4 months later the noise stays on..it sounds like the power steering pump but not to sure..have any of u guys had this problem???i am planning to get my power steering pump replaced but just wanted to make sure that it is the power steering pump before i actually spend $$$$ to get it fixed...please help me out guys thanks!!!also wat power steering fluid do i need??do i have to get tha power steering fluid from tha dealer???please lemme know asap!!!
Old 07-04-02, 10:44 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Try replacing the reservoir first. It's only about a 150.00 bucks and takes 10 minutes. The filter will get clogged and not let enough fluid flow. Try taking the cap off while it's running, if it's spits out fluid, your reservoir is clogged. Wish I had done this first before i replaced my pump.

Shane
Old 07-05-02, 12:26 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most common power steering pump problem is leakage - if your pump is wet, rebuild it soon before the leaking fluid destroys your alternator, which is mounted right under the pump. If the pump is not wet, just try a new serpentine belt - you may just be hearing noise from an old, glazed belt.

Speaking from experience here - have been through the above process - the pump can be rebuilt with an OEM seal kit, do the front bearing too - in&out and rebuild labor was about the cost of a new pump, $450. New belt about $45. Rebuilt pump will groan under load for a while but mine's quiet now -
Old 07-08-02, 08:48 PM
akmpres
Pole Position

Default leaking power steering pump

yup, i got the leak, ill try running with the cap off, i have an extended warantty on the car, you guys think that would be covered?
Old 07-08-02, 10:46 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give it about a week. I am going to do a step by step process on cleaning out the power steering system. One problem, I have NO idea where the screen filter near some solanoid is. I know there is one at the bottom of the reservoir. I also remember reading about how to put the front on jack stands, leave the cap off, and turn back and forth to get the air bubbles out.
Old 07-13-02, 11:13 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Yeah, just keep both front wheels off the ground. P/S leaks seem to be common on cars for some reason. I don't recall anything about flushing at what mileage interval but, I am going to do mine every 30K or with every trans flush. Also, when you flush it do it about 3 times and requires 2 people to do it. Tell the other person in the car to start up the car for a split second. Don't have to turn the wheel b/c, there is no time to. It will all disappear in less than a sec. You will have to fill the resevoir even before and after the guy in the car starts it. This should do it. At 30K miles I am noticing my P/S fluid is turning orange not red/pink anymore.
Old 07-16-02, 05:29 PM
amati5
Driver

Originally posted by black sc
Yeah, just keep both front wheels off the ground. P/S leaks seem to be common on cars for some reason. I don't recall anything about flushing at what mileage interval but, I am going to do mine every 30K or with every trans flush. Also, when you flush it do it about 3 times and requires 2 people to do it. Tell the other person in the car to start up the car for a split second. Don't have to turn the wheel b/c, there is no time to. It will all disappear in less than a sec. You will have to fill the resevoir even before and after the guy in the car starts it. This should do it. At 30K miles I am noticing my P/S fluid is turning orange not red/pink anymore.
Black Sc,

Can you go into the details how to flush the power steering fluid? I am a little confused from the post. Why would all the fluid disappear and where would they go. Don't you have to open some hoses first? By the way, my fluid is dark black, no where near pink or red

If you want to email me the detail please do so to amati5@yahoo.com

Thx