SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

theres gotta be a cheaper way to get a master key!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 08:13 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ think about that for a minute...what comes to mind when you say lexus..and what comes to mind when you say saturn...that should tell you why your four keys were "cheap"
Old 07-22-10, 08:45 PM
timber1426
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahahahaha
Old 07-22-10, 09:24 PM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm down to one key myself and have a 1jz swap. What can I do? I have a 95
Old 07-22-10, 09:55 PM
lammy2012
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dr.Fate
i think you're ok.... from what i gather(someone please correct me if i'm wrong) 97+ have transponders in thier keys and from 96 and older did'nt use transponders.
Old 07-22-10, 11:56 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Im usually on the gs forums but I read this before too Im unsure if i can post this link, but theres companies out there that can reflash the ecu like this one:
http://www.a-1mobilelockandkey.com/l...ngservice.html
Old 07-23-10, 05:41 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Fate
Ilco FTW

Jonny
Old 07-23-10, 06:15 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's 98+ that have the transponder in the key and you have to program them.

97 and older don't have this. So you can get a master key for cheap. I got one from Sewell Lexus for my 97 for about $47 shipped already cut.

So in the future, if anyone buys a 98+ Lexus, make sure it comes with at least one master key. That way you can get another and be able to program it.

Also if your buying a 98+ Lexus without a master key, you should be able to offer a much lower price because of the money needed to change everything over.

Last edited by SH_JZZ30; 07-23-10 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-23-10, 06:20 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by imDementeD
^ think about that for a minute...what comes to mind when you say lexus..and what comes to mind when you say saturn...that should tell you why your four keys were "cheap"
I know man. You've got a point there, but these cars are so old that you think it'd be a little bit cheaper after close to two decades of being around. What about taking the key to a Toyota dealership? I've heard of people on the forums ordering Lexus parts through their Toyota dealership?
Old 07-23-10, 08:44 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SH_JZZ30
It's 98+ that have the transponder in the key and you have to program them.

97 and older don't have this. So you can get a master key for cheap. I got one from Sewell Lexus for my 97 for about $47 shipped already cut.

So in the future, if anyone buys a 98+ Lexus, make sure it comes with at least one master key. That way you can get another and be able to program it.

Also if your buying a 98+ Lexus without a master key, you should be able to offer a much lower price because of the money needed to change everything over.

true that, i was just about to say my 97 doesn't have a transponder..
Old 07-23-10, 09:50 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Well The OP says he has a 98 Does anyone know of a person that reflashed I posted that as an option I think if you can take out your ecu and send it in its a cheaper option
Old 07-23-10, 10:02 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I know man. You've got a point there, but these cars are so old that you think it'd be a little bit cheaper after close to two decades of being around. What about taking the key to a Toyota dealership? I've heard of people on the forums ordering Lexus parts through their Toyota dealership?
These keys are a lexus only part. No toyotas came with laser cut keys as the lexus's are. No way around it. The transponder thing sucks though, I'm really surprised that's what it takes. I can understand though why it would be very risky to allow a key to be programmed just by the VIN. I don't know if we're supposed to post ebay links but I think this will really help you out:

"You are buying a complete set of locks removed from a 1999 lexus SC300, buyer will get everything you see in the picture....which included

* BOTH door locks
* rear trunk lock
* igntion cylinder lock
* dash glove box lock
* fuel door/trunk release lock
* main computer ECU
* Master Key"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-00...Q5fAccessories

That seems like a great option for you. Obviously some DIY labor involved on your part but it seems worth it.
Old 07-23-10, 05:59 PM
lammy2012
Rookie

Originally Posted by Klaus
These keys are a lexus only part. No toyotas came with laser cut keys as the lexus's are. No way around it. The transponder thing sucks though, I'm really surprised that's what it takes. I can understand though why it would be very risky to allow a key to be programmed just by the VIN. I don't know if we're supposed to post ebay links but I think this will really help you out:

"You are buying a complete set of locks removed from a 1999 lexus SC300, buyer will get everything you see in the picture....which included

* BOTH door locks
* rear trunk lock
* igntion cylinder lock
* dash glove box lock
* fuel door/trunk release lock
* main computer ECU
* Master Key"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-00...Q5fAccessories

That seems like a great option for you. Obviously some DIY labor involved on your part but it seems worth it.
thats a much cheaper possibility.... good lookin out!!
Old 07-23-10, 08:26 PM
t66sc3
Driver

I though there was a separate body control module in the newer scs but i guess its built into the ecm. I was in the same boat as the op but i had the master key just the fob fell out of it somewhere at work when the back cracked, so i ended up buying a izuzu transponder and having it flashed to the ecu as lexus ones were over $100 and i think i paid under 10 for the same denso part with the same transponder codes

Last edited by t66sc3; 07-23-10 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-25-10, 10:59 PM
kaban1993
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lammy2012
i only have the valet ket for my SC3. so i just got off the phone with 2 different lexus dealers. basically they told me that i have to get a new ecu. IF the ecu was never replaced before, lexus will cover the cost of it, BUT i have to buy 2 new keys at $250 each plus 2 hours of labor. the total cost will be between $700-$800!!!! if the ecu WAS replaced before, then i'm responsible for the ecu with the keys and labor. niether ofthe parts guys couldgive me a straight answer on how much that costs. one of them told me "probably a couple thousand dollars" !!!!!! WTF?!?!?!?! FOR 2 KEYS?!?!?!?! i also asked if i could just find a totaled SC3 and pull the ecu and take the keys. he said "no, it has to be brand new."

can somebody give me a little helpful advice??
I have the same exact problem on my 98 sc 300. I only have the valet key. I went to the dealership because Im not able to open my trunk with the valet, so they took the vin and said that they can cut a key but it wont work because it has to be programmed. The only way you can program it is either if you have a master key or you need a new ecu. In this case i need the ecu and it costs $1200 and like you said if 2 keys are bought and labor is paid for, the ecu is free. My advice to you is call more dealers and find the cheapest one. The cheapest deal I found at a lexus dealer so far was $180 per key and $178 labor.
Old 09-26-10, 04:57 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Lots of sour comments in this thread. Toyota put immobilizers into those cars to deter theft. It works well as a system and that is main point.

Quick Reply: theres gotta be a cheaper way to get a master key!!!