SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Which Type of Hood?
OEM style but in Carbon Fiber (CF)
50.00%
Vented style in CF (take a look at the pics below)
36.36%
Vented style but with no vent (just an indent)
9.09%
OEM but with a HUGE HOOD SCOOP made with 100% Bondo?
4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: CF Hood for the SC...interest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-02, 02:05 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Poll: CF Hood for the SC...interest?

Ok...we're looking at a CF hood group buy...let us know what you want to see...
Old 07-06-02, 02:07 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Here's the link to the CF Vented hood...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postid=338720
Old 07-06-02, 03:42 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in a vented hood with minimal indentation or oem style depending on price.
Old 07-06-02, 09:51 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM fitment all the way. But there's so many threads and all about CF hoods. NO ONE has come up with anything, not even some Internet sites dealing in lexus cars that say they will have CF hoods (names not mentioned). grrr.... i wouldn't mind having one if the price is right.
Old 07-07-02, 10:07 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Cost will be $699 + $130 shipping. If you get two shipped to the same address, shipping drops to $80 each.

The reason nobody sells CF hoods for the SC's is because the manufacturers don't believe there's a market for them. From the tepid responses I've seen (except for a very few excited folks), they seem to be right. This is a chance to break the ice and at least get a manufacturer started on producing them.

So far I've got 4 people who seem to be genuinely interested. I need 8 more. Those of you waiting to "see one for yourselves" may be blowing an opportunity here. I can get pictures of similar hoods made by this manufacturer on Supras and even testimonials from Supra owners if that would help sway you.

Again, this is a high quality hood, rolled edges, CF support underneath, UV coating, and predrilled holes for hinges and windshield washers. It can be made either OEM or vented. What more could you ask for?? OK, OK, so some of you want a plug for the vent. I'll ask about it.

Thanks,
-Walter
Old 07-08-02, 11:50 AM
AVRsc4dub
Rookie

im in for sure!!!count me in!!give me a call 415 720 9028 or email me @ jdmxsoarerx415@aol.com
Old 07-08-02, 05:21 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb WHERE THE VENTS SHOULD GO

Here is a raw pic of a vented SC hood. This is probably
more in line what the Majority are looking for, in terms of a vent.
(There is one at each side of the hood)
Attached Thumbnails Poll: CF Hood for the SC...interest?-bma_abecchi_fwindow.jpg  

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 07-08-02 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-08-02, 10:13 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Question Re: Where the vents should go

The 22 year old 280ZX look is what most people want on their Lexus??????????

I find that a bit hard to believe

I realize most people aren't as radical as I am, but I thought the original design of the vent, while not perfect functionally, at least matched the style of the Veilside kit I'm aiming for. I know a lot of folks here (most??) like the less aggressive Auto Couture look, but personally I don't think it adds much to the look (I guess it's just too subtle for my tastes

Everybody has their own preferences, but it seems to me the vents you posted would be reasonably easy to add to an OEM style hood, which doesn't really help me on my quest for a hood to match the Veilside look

As for the functionality, I've been thinking quite a bit about the heat venting issue. It seems to me (without having a wind tunnel to test my theory) that the curve of the hood in front of the vent will serve to speed up airflow much the same way a curve in an aircraft wing does. The higher air flow over the hood will cause a pressure drop relative to the slower air underneath (this is why wings generate lift). Now, disregarding for the moment that there is a high pressure area right in fron of the bottom of the windshield, It seems to me that this configuration *would* serve to draw air out of the engine compartment. Now whether it's from the air coming in through the radiator, or from somewhere else in the engine compartment is anybody's guess, but I belive the design of the vent is correct as far as it goes.

Now as to the issue of rain coming in, I have *no* idea. If my theory is correct, rain could only come in when you slowed down or stopped, and even then I'm not sure how much problem it would be... (FWIW - I've washed my engine several times now with no ill effects).

Walter
Attached Thumbnails Poll: CF Hood for the SC...interest?-carbon_fiber_hood_02.jpg  
Old 07-09-02, 10:44 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Walter, I like the design of the vent, would it be possible to produce those hoods with the vent closed up, so that those that wanted it open could have their bodyshop open it up before painting? Just an idea, unless he can actually manufacture a 'plug.' Also, if this manufacturer is in NJ, would locals be able to pick up the hood to avoid shipping charges? Any idea on what the weight will be? Oh, and those vents are from Do Luck.
- Jon
Old 07-12-02, 08:21 AM
Mistical
Rookie

I understand the concern with water and related entering the engine. Like when it snows. It will collect on the hood and seep into the engine. I think the vent is a good idea, but many of us use our SC's everyday, and not everyone lives in California. Can you make the grill removable? Then, if wanted, at any point, you can change the grill with a plug....or a cover on the inside. The idea is to have less weight so you are not going to make a door, inside the engine that closes when you turn the car off or has a senso for rain...
Old 07-13-02, 01:44 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Hehe, I use my SC everyday and am planning on getting the vented hood (flash flood season now, can't wait till winter time)

It looks like the hood will come with the grill already installed (which I think is a good idea). If (looks like when) the hoods are made I'm going to try to construct some type of plexiglass cover for the grill (unless someone else is planning to). I'm still trying to think how to stick it on so it doesn't fly into the windshield going 60 mph

If I end up with something good then I'll post something on how to make it and/or maybe i'll make a few extra and sell em for whatever the materials cost.

PS. whats happened with all the OEM CF hoods that people wanted made? I thought the vents were in the minority but already 4 people are a go.
Old 07-13-02, 01:45 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well more people voted for the OEM hood...but as usually, big talkers...no money...
Old 07-13-02, 08:09 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

So this isn't going to happen?
Old 07-13-02, 08:30 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by hellasboy
Hehe, I use my SC everyday and am planning on getting the vented hood (flash flood season now, can't wait till winter time)

It looks like the hood will come with the grill already installed (which I think is a good idea). If (looks like when) the hoods are made I'm going to try to construct some type of plexiglass cover for the grill (unless someone else is planning to). I'm still trying to think how to stick it on so it doesn't fly into the windshield going 60 mph

If I end up with something good then I'll post something on how to make it and/or maybe i'll make a few extra and sell em for whatever the materials cost.

PS. whats happened with all the OEM CF hoods that people wanted made? I thought the vents were in the minority but already 4 people are a go.
Hey hellasboy - Brendan suggested using a piece of black plastic and mounting it behind the grill so that it will still look functional. If you could make one of these that was fairly easy to put on and take off, I'm pretty sure that everyone who gets one of these hoods would want one. I know I would

-Walter
Old 07-13-02, 08:33 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
So this isn't going to happen?
We need 4 more takers for the vented hood - anyone???

(I've given up on the OEMers. Noisy bunch, but nothing to back up their words!!)

-Walter

Quick Reply: Poll: CF Hood for the SC...interest?