SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

electric fan sc300

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 09:28 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have electric fans on my car from the previous owner.

It's pretty simple.
If you guys have installed a relay this will be a breeze. Only thing I see that's extra is the addition of a temperature switch as the on/off signal to the relay which sends voltage to the fans, switching them on.

As cakin said, there's no plumbing that needs to be sealed off when doing this. Someone may have misinterpreted this as an electric water pump retro instead of an electric fan retro, two very different things. No need to get a pulley or shorter belt as the fan unbolts, leaving the OEM pulley behind.

I'll snap some pictures when I get a chance.
Old 05-02-11, 09:43 PM
cakin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SChema
I have electric fans on my car from the previous owner.

It's pretty simple.
If you guys have installed a relay this will be a breeze. Only thing I see that's extra is the addition of a temperature switch as the on/off signal to the relay which sends voltage to the fans, switching them on.

As cakin said, there's no plumbing that needs to be sealed off when doing this. Someone may have misinterpreted this as an electric water pump retro instead of an electric fan retro, two very different things. No need to get a pulley or shorter belt as the fan unbolts, leaving the OEM pulley behind.

I'll snap some pictures when I get a chance.
Thank god for someone with a real reply. As I said before there are kits with all the wiring, relay, and sensors you need and simple instructions.There are also mounting kits.
This mod is great for cooling at idle speeds, because the stock fan only pushes about 500-700 cfm at idle. As electric is the same at any engine rpm.
Also it's proven horse power when you take drag off your engine. This plus an under drive pulley set and you feel a big gain. For around $ 150 for the two.
Old 05-03-11, 12:14 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ive noticed that the people who use electric fans are people who dont use there SC's as DD. like someone mentioned earlier, they wear much quicker so someone who doesnt use there car often wouldnt experience it getting messed up. Stick to OEM everything when it comes to cooling a car. I learned the hardway
Old 05-03-11, 04:20 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Ok guys 4 time MKIV owner and 2 time SC300 owner. I have done the electric fan swap and done it right. My opinion here is don't do it. It will never stay as cool as it will with the clutch fan. My car stays on the border of overheating on those hot days. If you DD your car DO NOT use electric fans. But if you are looking to just take the car out on a friday night go right ahead.
Old 05-03-11, 05:02 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also owned 2 Daily Driven LEXUS with Properly wired Electric Fans. But I use OEM IS300 electric fans with the shroud. I haven't had any issues in the last 5 years, even in the heat of summer "Playing" with friends....
The following users liked this post:
NYCsc300 (07-25-22)
Old 05-03-11, 05:34 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Not saying problems but in July time it gets to where it could be allot cooler. I use IS300 fans in my SC and I used Flexlight in my MKIV. But with the stock fans you are for sure to run 20+deg. cooler. Thats proven! Rising_Sun are you running GE or GTE motors? If GTE single or twin? With NA it is not near as bad and with twins it is the worst!
Old 05-03-11, 05:46 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

What the hell is everyone talking about.....
Just wire it into a fuse in the fuse box that turns on when the ignition is on. I put 2 electrics on my GS300 and it worked great and no over heating problems. plus i eliminated the Clutch fan and yes it did free up a little power but it was a very small gain.
Took me 45 minutes to do it. i even think i did a write up on CL a few years ago.
Old 05-03-11, 05:48 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIVS374
Not saying problems but in July time it gets to where it could be allot cooler. I use IS300 fans in my SC and I used Flexlight in my MKIV. But with the stock fans you are for sure to run 20+deg. cooler. Thats proven! Rising_Sun are you running GE or GTE motors? If GTE single or twin? With NA it is not near as bad and with twins it is the worst!
I had plenty of problems with Flexalite fans. But my SC has a 1.5JZ swap singled with a t67 Pushing 25lbs and a 1GS300 NA-T singled T63 pushing 18lbs.
Old 05-03-11, 05:50 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Really I know I have never overheated but I have come closer than I would like I am going back to stock fan. I will be doing a new shroud for it soon.
Old 05-03-11, 07:53 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Currently using Flexalites, have not had any issues with my car over heating at all sitting at a stop light with my A/C full blast in the hot summers in Oklahoma. I put at least 200 -250 miles a week. Temperature needle rises to normal and stays there, have never seen my car run hotter than normal.
Old 05-03-11, 08:01 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Well just wait summer is almost here lol. Naa I hope it all works out for you. It is mostly the TT guys that have problems and some single guys but NA is OK. IDk why someone would change tho unless for looks.
Old 05-03-11, 08:04 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

^, Previous owner had plans of a full swap, ran out of time.
So now it's in hands to do the swap accordingly.
Old 05-03-11, 08:28 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Oh KK yeah turbo makes the under the hood temps go up very substantially.
Old 05-03-11, 08:50 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I have electric fans in mine, no issues. Remember to look for what temp you want the fans to kick in, different relay kits have different temp of engagement. http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...58607/10002/-1
I have mine at the 185/170 and it works very well. Not sure what everyone else is using but it can be the reason why you are running a little hot or borderline over heating.
Something to add I have noticed it runs more efficient when using a shroud vs popping the fans on the radiator.
Old 05-03-11, 10:06 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

I use a shroud yes I mede it to specs from the one I got from powerhouse racing. But it might be where we live to and the outside temp. I mean someone in seattle is not gonna have the same problems as someone in Arizona. But IDK every car is different. I just prefer the clutch fan you know it will always work and work right. On my first car I was running clutch fan and a puller fan on front so I mean idk. My thermo on my MKIV was 165 as is the SC.

Quick Reply: electric fan sc300