jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i say just buy a supra
Old 07-27-10, 10:56 PM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their was a motor on ebay last few weeks for 3500....
Old 07-28-10, 07:30 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexgsj01
Eventually this engine will be twin turbo. It's basically just a project for me to have fun with and eventually enter into car shows. I may end up buying another SC to do a 2jz swap.
All due respect, but this engine will never be twin turbo. Just getting the car in and running is going to be a massive feat both in terms of labor, dollars, and engineering. $15-$20k comes to mind.

Now let's talk about building this motor to handle anything over it's anemic stock power. 12 custom pistons, 12 custom rods, 48 valves, 48 valve springs, 48 retainers, bearings, likely custom cams, plenty of misc parts, and all of the extensive labor to get that head to flow. Probably looking at $20k in the engine build. Just look at what some have had to do to build a 1uz. And there's actually SOME off the shelf after market there and the 1uz is far closer to being ready for boost than a 1gz

That transmission won't hold much over stock- so let's say low side a tremec t-56, high side a v160. So go with $5-$10k into the transmission setup

Now for the turbo system you're talking about 2 completely custom turbo manifolds. Everything you need to do in a 2j build you need to do twice in this build. 2 after market ECUs. 2 wastegates, 2 turbos, 2 sets of lines, all of the little things are going to skyrocket this project especially with everything being custom. Add in massive amounts of tuning time. Anticipate another $30k by the time you're done. Top secret did this as a marketing tool for their business to promote their shop. The expenses were a write off.

It's one thing to be different, it's another to be in over your head. I would never speculate on your income level and I hope you don't think I am making any judgment on whether or not you can afford this project. I don't know you, that wouldn't be fair. But your afford ability has nothing to do with it. For the results you'll gain from this project it's bad investment for an individual to take on. Top secret as likely recovered all of the losses on their project through increased sales and taxes.

I would recommend this though. Talk with some of the big power v8 guys on here. Ask about their builds. What they had to invest time and money wise. What headaches they've gone through. Then add 50%. At least have a full idea of what you're getting into before you commit dollars and effort into this project
Old 07-28-10, 08:36 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go for it. Be one of the pioneers. I like to see progress with our cars. It might not be the best choice for what is available but it will sure as hell stand out from the rest.

Once you do it, others will follow and companies may start making products for it like install kits etc. You might spend more money than you originally planned but if you get it done, you will be remembered.
Old 07-28-10, 09:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that motor is so weaksauce. +1 for rarity, +1 for cool factor, -20 for power output.
and the argument of forced induction is pointless, you can do that to any motor.
Old 07-28-10, 09:11 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by SH_JZZ30
I say go for it. Be one of the pioneers. I like to see progress with our cars. It might not be the best choice for what is available but it will sure as hell stand out from the rest.

Once you do it, others will follow and companies may start making products for it like install kits etc. You might spend more money than you originally planned but if you get it done, you will be remembered.
Unlikely. Companies loose a lot of money in R&D even if they already have a prototype. It takes a lot of time and a lot of sales to recoup that investment. Not a lot of people running around with a 1gz to justify the cost of creating production products. Why do you think Top Secret hasn't released a single aftermarket part for the 1gz? Not worth it, no demand.
Old 07-28-10, 09:33 AM
Klaus
Instructor

If you're really looking for a killer unique swap I have a much better idea for you...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Do...Q5fAccessories

Viper engine. 505hp v10. This auction is under $10k for a fairly complete setup. Transmission, wiring, ECU. A lot of what you need. This has never been done in a Toyota platform. THIS would be a unique swap and is already ready to go as a race motor. Probably throw in another $10k for misc fab and and anything else you need, and for $20k you have a very nice setup. Twin turbo? Already options out there for you on that. And the beautiful thing is you can run a little over 800hp on an unopened motor.
Old 07-28-10, 10:39 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Klaus
If you're really looking for a killer unique swap I have a much better idea for you...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Do...Q5fAccessories

Viper engine. 505hp v10. This auction is under $10k for a fairly complete setup. Transmission, wiring, ECU. A lot of what you need. This has never been done in a Toyota platform. THIS would be a unique swap and is already ready to go as a race motor. Probably throw in another $10k for misc fab and and anything else you need, and for $20k you have a very nice setup. Twin turbo? Already options out there for you on that. And the beautiful thing is you can run a little over 800hp on an unopened motor.
^^^Agreed, and its light for its size.
Old 07-28-10, 12:00 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Klaus

Now let's talk about building this motor to handle anything over it's anemic stock power. 12 custom pistons, 12 custom rods, 48 valves, 48 valve springs, 48 retainers, bearings, likely custom cams, plenty of misc parts, and all of the extensive labor to get that head to flow. Probably looking at $20k in the engine build. Just look at what some have had to do to build a 1uz. And there's actually SOME off the shelf after market there and the 1uz is far closer to being ready for boost than a 1gz

I cannot speak for actual #'s, but it is been said that the 1gz is somewhat like the 2j internal strength wise, but so few have been modified it is hard to back up speculations on HP potential.

I don't care if it cost tons of money to do the swap, I will still be doing it. Its keeping a Toyota engine in a Toyota, not cross-breeding.
Old 07-28-10, 12:13 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn...so your gonna sell a kidney and both nuts just to get it here and in. Then your first born for custom forged parted to handle turbo....sick im subscribing. Make sure you get vids of the organ removal. lol....

Honestly though its your car your money, do what you like but while your throwing it away. Do ya wanna send me a running stock 1uz as mine is broken? I will be your positive reinforcement....i will pump you up when your girl leaves you, the motor doesnt start and people start hating. I will have your back!

Good luck man...i will deff subscribe though!

Last edited by xxtoobsxx; 07-28-10 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-28-10, 12:41 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Yea, I see this never happening..
Old 07-28-10, 12:52 PM
lexgsj01
Driver

This seems to be a very touchy subject on these forums. I just feel everyone should do what they want with their own car, to each his own. I'm definitely going to do the V12 swap. Its basically just a challenge for me. I'd feel good about actually completing it. I'm just going to run the motor bone stock at first, then maybe turbo later down the line. I have one company that offered to do a supercharger kit for me. So i'm just playing around with options right now.
Old 07-28-10, 01:05 PM
lexgsj01
Driver

I'm currently talking to one of the guys from the lextreme forums, he's in the process of installing a 1gz in his SC. He was saying its not as much work as you'd think. As far as the trans goes, it has the same design and dimensions as the stock auto tranny in the SC, so it bolts right up. As far as the engine, i'll have to have custom engine mounts made and as far as exhaust goes, the SC400 exhaust bolts right up. Granted a V8 exhaust isnt the best thing to run on a V12 but just to get everything running it will suffice. The engine I'm getting comes with the full harness, BOTH ecu's, and the tranny. I Wouldn't even attempt a swap like this if i didn't have plenty of support from fabricators and top notch mechanics that i happen to be good friends with. I'm confident we can complete this.
Old 07-28-10, 01:09 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Well I wish you nothing but the best man. Even taking the motor build out of it, it's still a daunting task.
Old 07-28-10, 01:20 PM
lexgsj01
Driver

Once the engine comes in, I'll start to post pics and progress of the build. I should be getting it in about 6 months. Long wait but it's worth it.

Quick Reply: V12 Swap, hopefully...