SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

V12 Swap, hopefully...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 03:10 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexgsj01
Once the engine comes in, I'll start to post pics and progress of the build. I should be getting it in about 6 months. Long wait but it's worth it.
Don't let the haters kill your build. Bunch of people who cannot either afford to do the swap, have the patience, have the skills, or they are jusit a bunch of 2j nutswingers.

This swap is obviously a rare swap in general so customization is either time consuming in fab work, or you need deeeep pockets. All which has been stated. I will be following the build as I am doing the same as you but a little later down the road as I am joining the armed forces and will be busy for a while. I thought CL was a little better than SupraForums, but looks like I need to go to Lextreme.
Old 07-28-10, 03:56 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Despite the obvious resources needed to complete a project of this magnitude, I'm very excited to see this being done. It may be a "low output" V12 and of course there are other options out there in the toyota family to choose from, but i think what makes this a particularly special project is it's extreme rareness and potential for power being a 5.0L 12cyl spec motor. it may not be a 6 cyl monster as the 2jz has proven to be in every instance,but I'm sure this build is not about comparing its final output to a 2jz. The potential torque from this V12 could produce a very enjoyable driving/cruising experience among other things and the appeal of having a boosted v12 sc500 is just so damn cool! good luck on the project...subscribed!!!

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 07-28-10 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 04:02 PM
slydjunkie
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put a SR20 in it.. tho dont wait to long.. They fetch a premium near race wars
Old 07-28-10, 04:11 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

question: does this 5.0L V12 1GZ-FE consist of two 2.5L 1jz motors? if this is the case, then i would imagine it not to be unfamiliar territory to explore further. Any part you would need to get for a 1jz in theory you should be able to get for the 1Gz,but twice the amount of parts if this is what your dealing with. I thought about this because it would just be very cost effective to mate two 1jz 6cyl motors together,detune it and call it another motor with twice the dispacement-as opposed to spending massive amounts of money on building a completely new motor of this spec to sell on a very limited scale.. toyota is known for interchangeable parts across the model range so, don't be surprised if all you need is already available to you...hopefully!!
Old 07-28-10, 04:37 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

good read... more info about this motor: http://www.lextreme.com/V12.html

states a few interesting facts about this motor:
1. this motor built to 6.0L fitted w/ turbos and 2jz internals for 1000 hp

2. parts mentioned were compatible to other existing engines with loads of similarities to the V8 1uz

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 07-28-10 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 05:28 PM
vrsc400
Driver

Back when Top Secret was building their supra with this engine I was like damn that'd be a sick swap for an sc! SO DO IT!

And to people saying its not financially viable and all that blah blah
If your building cars as an "investment" your doing it for the wrong reasons. Building cars isnt about how much money you can make. Its about how much fun and joy does it bring to the person doing the work
Old 07-28-10, 06:51 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

If your intrested in a manual transmission behind that V12 let me know i can help.
Old 07-28-10, 06:53 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nextlevelcoupe
question: does this 5.0L V12 1GZ-FE consist of two 2.5L 1jz motors? if this is the case, then i would imagine it not to be unfamiliar territory to explore further. Any part you would need to get for a 1jz in theory you should be able to get for the 1Gz,but twice the amount of parts if this is what your dealing with. I thought about this because it would just be very cost effective to mate two 1jz 6cyl motors together,detune it and call it another motor with twice the dispacement-as opposed to spending massive amounts of money on building a completely new motor of this spec to sell on a very limited scale.. toyota is known for interchangeable parts across the model range so, don't be surprised if all you need is already available to you...hopefully!!
it accually seems to be closer to being two 1mz V6 motors. sorry for the double post.
Old 07-28-10, 07:35 PM
lexgsj01
Driver

Thanks, eventually once all of this is under way I just may contact you about that. When i get everything at first i just want it to run stock with the auto tranny. I think the only manual tranny that can be mated with it is the Toyota Getrag 6 speed.
Old 07-28-10, 08:13 PM
Baraka
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Eventually this engine will be twin turbo. It's basically just a project for me to have fun with and eventually enter into car shows. I may end up buying another SC to do a 2jz swap.
Like a lot of people are saying, do the conversion if money isn't an issue and if having fun is your main reason for doing it.

And I really hope you mean eventually when you talk about the twin turbo. A lot of work will need to be done to bore out the GZ in order to get the compression ratio from 10.5:1 to around 7.5:1. You know, so the engine won't blow up .

First thing's first. I'm glad you see it that way. Doing this kind of work is like winning a war. You have to fight- and win- each battle separately. The swap is one major battle. The forced induction is another. Hell, boring out the GZ is probably a battle unto itself!

Anyway, good luck!! I'm subscribed and definitely want to know what happens with your SC400 to SC500 conversion.
Old 07-28-10, 08:21 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=lexgsj01]I think the only manual tranny that can be mated with it is the Toyota Getrag 6 speed. [/img]

Apparently the stock trans is a 1jz auto trans. So the r154 should work, and there is a guying doing this with a t56. So you'll have some options. But I do think a very beefy trans will be necessary. This engine has A LOT of area under the curve and it's max torque comes on almost instantly. Torque is what shreds transmissions so either a v160 or a well built t56 should be a good bet. Not that I'm obsessed with vipers but a viper t56 would be a good choice haha.

Originally Posted by Baraka
A lot of work will need to be done to bore out the GZ in order to get the compression ratio from 10.5:1 to around 7.5:1. You know, so the engine won't blow up .
lol come on man
Old 07-28-10, 09:06 PM
Baraka
Driver School Candidate

Okay, he doesn't have to lower the compression ratio. Just slap on a couple of turbos, each putting out 5-10 psi of boost with the stock 10.5:1 CR and enjoy the sweet symphony of detonation afterward! Well, at least for a few months until the cylinder head is laid to waste.

Last edited by Baraka; 07-28-10 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 09:25 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Baraka
Okay, he doesn't have to lower the compression ratio. Just slap on a couple of turbos, each putting out 5-10 psi of boost with the stock 10.5:1 CR and enjoy the sweet symphony of detonation afterward! Well, at least for a few months until the cylinder head is laid to waste.

Halfway correct. Just because it is higher comp does not mean it will blow up. Just means you run less boost, and control your A/F's as usual.
Old 07-28-10, 10:09 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

I think the only manual tranny that can be mated with it is the Toyota Getrag 6 speed.
I could get any transmission you want to bolt to it, but the R154 would be a ton easyer then a V160 and a ton cheaper as well.
Old 07-28-10, 10:42 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ok another one of these threads? you have read all that info and realized you still wanna go through with this? you have to run 2 stand alone computers unless u find one that will drive 12 cylinders and support dual fire since the firing order is really weird and 2 pistons are firing at the same time. at this sage id say unless you are doing a twin turbo dont even bother with the swap. if you got unlimited money then go for it and i would suggest since you are going all out, if i were you id say screw the twin turbo and do a quad turbo. stock the throttle is dual electronic throttle bodies its going to be a night mare unless you figure out how to use the stock dual ecu system with you having a front clip to take all the parts you need. with this being said that is another reason to go dual or single stand alone. all this set aside its all talk unless we start seeing some pictures.. if you finish this and actually do it i will owe you a drink and shake your hand and you get a prize. if you are just a troll i want every club lexus user to punt you in the nuts.. lol

Quick Reply: V12 Swap, hopefully...