SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Car won't start after harness relocation

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 02:36 AM
saurah
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start after harness relocation

Its late. I'm annoyed, and out of ideas.

I relocated my wiring harness from the fender well, into the engine bay. The ONLY wire I cut is a wire that was spliced into a clip, the wire is for my after market alarm.

I went to turn the key, everything lit up. The cluster was lit up, ignition, the steering wheel did its auto move thang. But two seconds after I stuck the key in, and before I could start it... "POP"... Yes, I checked the fuses.

Is it a ground I missed somewhere? Do I need to fix the alarm wire? The car is gutted (in the middle of interior project), so nothing is plugged in. The cut alarm wire short something out?

When I put the key in now, nothing happens. Suggestions?

Last edited by saurah; 07-28-10 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 06:05 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, sounds like you grounded out and blew a fuse. Was the aftermarket wire you cut getting power? Is that alarm still on your car? Sounds like it either needs reconnected or else it grounded out on something...

I don't know where to suggest starting on the fusebox - just go through them one at a time.

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 07-28-10, 08:42 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

POP sound is correct normally you accidently grounded something out. Did you make sure to cover all your aftermarket wire ends with electrical tape and away from nakid metal before you started the car? (Im already sure you did but its always a question to ask) =)

If you checked your SC fuse boxes (one under driver footwell, and engine bay). I would check the fuse on your aftermarket alarm unit, depending on where you splic'd that should be where the fuse blew along that line. If your aftermarket alarm has a disabler in case the unit is ripped out of the car by someone trying to steal your car, this is why your car might not have power if everything is wired into your alarm system to prevent theft.

Good luck saurah.

Last edited by eliteskill; 07-28-10 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 05:14 PM
saurah
Pole Position

Tore a lot of the stuff I had just done apart. Replaced a fuse, re clamped and reheated some wires that I had messed with previously and... she lives. Started up after sitting for 5 months without a single hiccup.
I knew it would be something stupid. Oh well. Thanks guys.