SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

When doing 80mph...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 12:47 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you have given us no info whats so ever, as to the details of your car. secondly you know how dist brakes work? they are ALWAYS pushing on the rotor. i doubt the wheel, even off the ground, would make it past 5 rotations, if that... if your car is manual it will not coast as long as an auto car. secondly there is this thing called cruise control its like right there. and i have no idea why you are taking your foot off the gas with no cruise control engaged. they only time i take my foot off the gas is to Decelerate which your car is doing; its job.. or if im really moving along, with no gas down a very steep road in which i need to step on the brakes or down shift to 3rd or second to keep the car from going faster and faster... as far as im concerned, is from what you are telling us, you cant drive... and upon second observations i see that your car is a sc400 so its and auto. which means there is no reason for you to really take your foot off the gas unless you are gonna slow down, so if you wanna keep moving you gotta touch the gas at least a little bit, or turn on the cruise control.
Cleanshots over and out!
<thread/>
Old 08-03-10, 02:01 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im with the previous poser. Try putting it in 6th gear.

JK man. But seriously driving this car is like driving an armored personnel carrier.
You need a 2jz-gte just to get it to move out of a parking space.
Old 08-03-10, 05:52 AM
DirtDiggz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Yes indeed. lol Who better

To OP, also post all the specs on your car.
Sorry about that, Auto 1UZFE, 220,000 miles, 20" rims. What other specs should i list?
Old 08-03-10, 05:54 AM
DirtDiggz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
you have given us no info whats so ever, as to the details of your car. secondly you know how dist brakes work? they are ALWAYS pushing on the rotor. i doubt the wheel, even off the ground, would make it past 5 rotations, if that... if your car is manual it will not coast as long as an auto car. secondly there is this thing called cruise control its like right there. and i have no idea why you are taking your foot off the gas with no cruise control engaged. they only time i take my foot off the gas is to Decelerate which your car is doing; its job.. or if im really moving along, with no gas down a very steep road in which i need to step on the brakes or down shift to 3rd or second to keep the car from going faster and faster... as far as im concerned, is from what you are telling us, you cant drive... and upon second observations i see that your car is a sc400 so its and auto. which means there is no reason for you to really take your foot off the gas unless you are gonna slow down, so if you wanna keep moving you gotta touch the gas at least a little bit, or turn on the cruise control.
Cleanshots over and out!
<thread/>
i understand this concept, but what i'm saying is its like caught in between gears on the downshift almost!?? Thanks everyone for your answers, I appreciate it!
Old 08-03-10, 08:25 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
Is your tranny going into overdrive ok?
Originally Posted by DirtDiggz
i understand this concept, but what i'm saying is its like caught in between gears on the downshift almost!?? Thanks everyone for your answers, I appreciate it!
SO are you saying it IS NOT going into overdrive then?

If so, that's your problem.
Old 08-03-10, 08:42 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by okbobbo
Jack up each wheel and spin. See if there is any drag. Pull on ebrake and see if it releases promptly.
+1 OP i experienced what u r describing at first it was caused by a frozen caliper bracket which i fixed work for 3 days happened again. turned out one of the pistons on the driver side caliper was frozen. once replaced it will coast a lot further now
Old 08-03-10, 08:45 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lfrers
Im with the previous poser. Try putting it in 6th gear.
i knew there was a hidden gear!!
Old 08-03-10, 08:48 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by okbobbo
Jack up each wheel and spin. See if there is any drag. Pull on ebrake and see if it releases promptly.
Originally Posted by Nova
+1 OP i experienced what u r describing at first it was caused by a frozen caliper bracket which i fixed work for 3 days happened again. turned out one of the pistons on the driver side caliper was frozen. once replaced it will coast a lot further now
Hey guys, I think he's already said the car coasts fine in neutral which would pretty much rule out simple rotational drag:

Nah really? C'mon I know the difference! I'm saying when i get up to a speed where any other car would continue with gravity i can feel the engine making the car slow down! Almost as if i put the car in second gear and downshifted, not that severe but that! I put the car in neutral and it did what it was supposed to do which is cruise. Now do you get what I'm saying?
Old 08-03-10, 09:18 AM
DirtDiggz
Rookie

SO are you saying it IS NOT going into overdrive then?

If so, that's your problem.
Sorry, yeah it goes into overdrive fine, I can feel power in the pedal like its saying c'mon let's go when I/m simply trying to ride at say 40mph, but it feels like I'm riding in second gear at 40mph! You know how most cars progress to the next gear, i think mine is doing it but slower than most
Old 08-03-10, 09:19 AM
DirtDiggz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nova
Ok, thanks Nova, I'll get that looked at!
Old 08-03-10, 09:24 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, yeah it goes into overdrive fine, I can feel power in the pedal like its saying c'mon let's go when I/m simply trying to ride at say 40mph, but it feels like I'm riding in second gear at 40mph! You know how most cars progress to the next gear, i think mine is doing it but slower than most
Have you checked your tranny fluid level?
Old 08-03-10, 09:26 AM
DirtDiggz
Rookie

Have you checked your tranny fluid level?
I haven't personally, does jiffy lube check that when they do signature service? I'm asking cause i know they do all fluids when you get a full service oil change! Anyway I'm going to take a look at that today, thanks! If that's ok, then what?
Old 08-03-10, 10:46 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't personally, does jiffy lube check that when they do signature service? I'm asking cause i know they do all fluids when you get a full service oil change! Anyway I'm going to take a look at that today, thanks! If that's ok, then what?
First of all, I'm still going on the assumption that it is the tranny because you indicated that, at speed: it rolls much more freely when you shifted into neutral, and that it slows too severely (like it's in too low a gear) the instant you back off the gas (ie. the engine is overly laboring for the given speed and rpm's are too high). SO look for simple stuff first like tranny fluid level.

After that, I'm not entirely sure what next, there's a list of things related to tranny shifting. I'd do some more searching here; there's tons on info on tranny problems. Here's a couple threads that list possible points of failure for tranny shifting.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...s-problem.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...overdrive.html

G/L
Old 08-03-10, 10:46 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

post a video? i think i our cars lose speed pretty quick if your cruising at 80 and let off.. at 80 you really need to have your foot on the gas to maintain that speed.
Old 08-03-10, 11:00 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

torque converter maybe?

Quick Reply: When doing 80mph...