SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Asking you're opinion---are sc400's a problamatic vehicle??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 02:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Asking you're opinion---are sc400's a problamatic vehicle??????

Hey guys I am just curious.

I always thought of lexus sc300's---400's and ls'400's as very well built reliable machines.

Due to the fact that you always see them around with 300 000km or 400 000km or more and still driving fine.

Mine only has 140 000 km and I am having some serious issues with the electrical and or sensors(havent figured it out yet)

Although I LOVE this car i am not rich and cannot afford a car that is in and out of the shop during the course of its life.

I do not want to sell it but numerous people are telling me it would be wise to get it fixed and than sell it, saying these cars are known to be "electrical nightmares".

Is this true?

I do not want to sell my car but if these cars are known to give problems i cannot afford it financially and emotionally.

Like i said I always thought of these lexus v8's from the 90's as tanks and one of the most reliable cars ever, am I wrong?
Old 08-04-10, 02:50 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electrical nightmares? NO
Can the SC be a problem car? Absolutely! IF the previous owner did a hack job on mods or beat the **** out of it without doing maintenance, then yes, un reliable car.
Old 08-04-10, 02:54 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

My car is completely stock and the previous owner did not look or act the type that would be racing around.

He was an older gent with a family and more than that he just did not look the part.

Also he was a car mechanic himself.

Only part swapped was something to do with the suspension.(struts or springs or something) And even those look to be stock part from lexus. No lowering or anything.
Old 08-04-10, 03:01 PM
assass1n
Pole Position

i own 2 sc400s and have several friends that do. all our cars are over 300000kms already. they are honestly one of the most reliable cars you can ever own. other than regular maintenance you have nothing to worry about. im just going out on a limb here and guessing whoever is telling you they are electrical nightmares either drives an expensive german car or drives a honda. they do have a lot more electrical equipment and modules compared to most other cars but they are not known to have problems.

btw feel free to ask any specific questions. im no expert but ive worked on my cars more than enough times to be able to help you out a bit.
Old 08-04-10, 03:08 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

all neglected cars have issues. the sc400 is a very reliable vehicle, all around.
electrical nightmares... are you sure he didn't say audi.. lol

maybe post your problem and we can help you fix it, most of the problems with the SC have diy type fixes that work quite well.
Old 08-04-10, 03:13 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You take care of it, it takes care of you. There are reasons why you see many 500k+ mileage 1uzfe's around.

Only issues I have EVER had with the engine were...

Starter...

And that is STILL just basic maintenance.....
Old 08-04-10, 03:18 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the input guys!!!

And yes i have heard that Audi's are a nightmare also lol.

I just hope my mechanic is able to diagnose this problem I am having finally so I can get back to enjoying this car.

I do really love it!!!!

And the fact that I am a part of this lexus forum is very reasuring.

You guys have been very helpful and kind with giving me advice and direction with my lexus issues, much appreciated.

I am going to do everything I can to keep it.

And by maintenance i assume you mean regular oil changes-tune ups-timing belt-and general up keep.

Anything in particular I should pay attention to maintenance wise on these cars?

Thanks
Old 08-04-10, 03:24 PM
UR2klose
Pole Position

my last sc400 WAS an electrical nightmare. but that was because the last owner had cut wires untaped through out the whole car and did a pos job installing audio/video. the car itself was full of shorts which i found out after the car finally died on me. but hey u get what u pay for and i got it dirt check so i guess thats why. i sold it and bought a sc300 and im happy with it. no problems so far. i still think these are very reliable cars but there are a few rotten apples out there
Old 08-04-10, 04:38 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

215K miles and i don't even have a CEL. the 1UZ is a tank, you are right.
get to the bottom of your issue, & fix it. I'm sure it will be good to you after that(esp if you maintain it).
good luck!
Old 08-04-10, 04:54 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
electrical nightmares... are you sure he didn't say audi.. lol

or BMW, or Mercedes!
Old 08-04-10, 04:57 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

*****, you certainly have valid questions...I cannot speak for your car, but the SC is known for high reliability. Sometimes we get a lemon. Hopefully that is not your car. Keep in mind, your car is a 94, according to your profile. That means it is 16 years old...That is an old car. Many 16 year old cars are in the junk yard. If well maintained, they can last a very long time, and provide many years of good service.

Ryan
Old 08-04-10, 10:59 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

mine is about to hit 300k with no signs of dieing except for the steering which was my fault,

only thing ive had to replace was the brake booster, i have put this car through alot
Old 08-04-10, 11:12 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sc's may have there quirks and issues, but you don't see many with any major mechanical problems.

Just look at how many high mileage Sc's are still on the roads. I see them on craigslist with 200K+ miles all the time.
Old 08-05-10, 12:02 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

from my lexus experience

my sc400 tranny is shot, and it dosen't want to come out either. if you have the original exhaust system with the original bolts(then youre screwed). the problem i noticed with the 1uzfe(also with my lexus ls400) is the powersteering pump.

unlike other cars where the resivour and the pump itself is 2 units lex has it as one.. i noticed mine was leaking when i tilted the engine back yesterday trying to get the tranny out..

and i also have a 94. so check to make sure it's not sweating or leaking..

and my pulley is making noise(the one in the center of the engine) but iam sure this ia a general maintence issue

other than that i haven't come into any problems(yet). seeing as ive never driven the car. but the engine runs(smokes a little after start up)
Old 08-05-10, 06:47 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, no, it depends. Is is not corolla of civic.
SC400 is demanding vehicle using complicated technology. Take talented mechanic to keep it running properly. Few years back I`ve seen bunch of them on the road, not anymore. Talented mechanics are expensive.
I kept my car running sparsely for last three year, i didn`t have time for it. Car was mostly in storage. I`m dealing with bunch of problems right now as a effect. Parts appears to be cheap tho, I will bring it up to the top notch condition once more. No problem. Hobby.

Quick Reply: Asking you're opinion---are sc400's a problamatic vehicle??????