SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-02, 12:59 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Member

Hey guys, newbie here. I'm going to be purchasing an SC300 in a few short weeks. I've already researched the 2JZ transplant into the 300 Maybe match my supra.

I know the first mod on the 300 are going to be my old chrome supra rims, pretty sure they'll fit. Or maybe just get a set of the Fikse FM5's I've wanted for so long.

Can you guys give me some generic guidance on other mods that can be performed to the 300?

Also, I still haven't decided on what year. I'll do a search on the year differences, but maybe your .02cents on exterior difference from 93-97. I've noticed the 97's front end and even side skirts are different. Things like that. I appreciate your guys help, and hopefully I can bring a bit of knowledge to the table.

I did every bit of work on my supra, so I'm a bit of a gear head
Old 07-09-02, 02:51 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the CL forum board!! You'll find out lots of interesting things here!

Anyways, your old Supra rims should fit the SC300 no problem.

You can get the Toyomoto turbo kit for the SC300 and that is the best kit for the SC300. Couple of guys on this forum have it and it's a great kit!

The SC300 is also a great car to do a 2jz-gte engine swap. My partner just finished his 2jz-gte swap in just 4 weeks!

You can also do a Supra TT brake swap.

Bodywise, the 97 has a new front bumper with fog lights & grille. Sideskirts and new taillights. Also a raised spoiler.

All these parts can be swapped onto your SC300 no problem!

There's a lot more than can be done but that's just some of the stuff I thought of first.

Just ask more questions if you need to, there's plenty of knowlegable guys here like, Manaray, lex400sc, lex luthor, ...we'll all help!

Good Luck on your car,
Tony
Old 07-09-02, 03:15 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Tony,
Thank you very much for the welcome as well as all of that great information! I had looked at the F-max turbo setup, seems like a nice hp increase over NA. I was wondering how much boost these NA motors can take?

Its good to know that all the 97+ exterior parts will bolt up the the earlier models! I do like the way the 97+ model looks, but for cost reasons, I need to stick with a 94-95.

Also, how much power can the auto's handle vs the 5spds? And for those guys that have done the 2jz motor in their 300, what trans did they mate it up with? the 6spd, or will it bolt up to 5spd or even the auto.

I'm leaning more towards and auto, only because of comfort. This is going to be my daily driver, and I have a 6spd in my supra, so I'll get my fix from that car. Whats you take on auto vs 5spd?

Thanks again,
looking forward to learning a ton from you guys.
Old 07-09-02, 03:50 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you have so much power already in your Supra for fun events, I say look for a SC400 as your daily driver. It has enough power and is great for cruising!

Most people with turbo's usually get the SC300 5spd but those are kinda hard to come by. I think there are 2 for sale in the classifies.

I love my 400 and I would probably keep it and find another SC300 to use that as my race car.

Tony
Old 07-09-02, 05:47 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2JZ-GE and GTE both bolt up to the 5spd, 6spd, and the automatic. The stock automatic will handle about 450hp, I know of ppl who have pushed it past that, the stock 5spd has been proven to pop @ around 440-450hp (just ask SC300TURBO), the 6spd has been proven to hold into 1000hp territory in stock form with the right clutch. I also prefer automatic for a turbo car, for reasons that i'm sure are obvious to a guy who built up his own Supra. Toyomoto's SC went into the tens with an automatic years ago. As for FMAX, do a search and you'll find plenty of bad press on the kit, Toyomoto, SP, PF, RPS, HKS are all good choices, but with Toyomoto you get access to Lance Ho Lung, 2JZ turbo guru and nine second pilot. As for the 97+ parts, they all bolt on to the 96-down body, the only thing being a little wiring for the newer fog lamps, which I can tell you about if you need.
Attached Thumbnails New Member-compressed-polished-lips-front.jpg  
Old 07-09-02, 06:13 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Tony, I had thought about the sc400, but I have been known to modify anything and everything I own I figured the 300 would be a better platform.

Lex,
Thanks for the info on the differences in transmissions. Thats pretty respectable to handle 450hp with that stock auto. I think thats a decent threshold. If I do go the route of putting the GTE in my 300, then I will definitely go with the getrag 6spd. My current 6spd, handles the mid 600+ rearwheel hp no problem. I did, notice however that requires a 6spd rear for the car. Maybe I'll just bolt up one of SP's new 400 trans'

I would like to see what I could do with that 3.0 NA motor. Any ideas of how much boost those guys with the f-max or sp turbo kits run? and how much boost the stock motor can take?

I'm sure I'll be emailing you for the wiring I never was good with electrical stuff. I stick with what I'm good at, mechanical stuff.
Old 07-09-02, 07:35 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Welcome to the Club Quikturbo! Like Lex said, I'd stay away from the FMAX if the Toyomoto is in your budget. FMAX has reliability issues between engine fires and cracked manifold/pipes. You'll find yourself in the shop patching it up all too often or else you'll end up replacing a lot of broken parts with Toyotmoto stuff. Anyway, good luck with the turbo project! Keep us updated!
Old 07-09-02, 07:37 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: New Member

Originally posted by quikturbo
Hey guys, newbie here. I'm going to be purchasing an SC300 in a few short weeks. I've already researched the 2JZ transplant into the 300 Maybe match my supra.

I know the first mod on the 300 are going to be my old chrome supra rims, pretty sure they'll fit. Or maybe just get a set of the Fikse FM5's I've wanted for so long.

Can you guys give me some generic guidance on other mods that can be performed to the 300?

Also, I still haven't decided on what year. I'll do a search on the year differences, but maybe your .02cents on exterior difference from 93-97. I've noticed the 97's front end and even side skirts are different. Things like that. I appreciate your guys help, and hopefully I can bring a bit of knowledge to the table.

I did every bit of work on my supra, so I'm a bit of a gear head
Welcome to the darkside Chris. Mouhahah.

PS. IM me or show up at the next meet (in Great Lakes meet section of clublexus.com).

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 07-09-02 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-09-02, 07:53 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by quikturbo
Tony, I had thought about the sc400, but I have been known to modify anything and everything I own I figured the 300 would be a better platform.

Lex,
Thanks for the info on the differences in transmissions. Thats pretty respectable to handle 450hp with that stock auto. I think thats a decent threshold. If I do go the route of putting the GTE in my 300, then I will definitely go with the getrag 6spd. My current 6spd, handles the mid 600+ rearwheel hp no problem. I did, notice however that requires a 6spd rear for the car. Maybe I'll just bolt up one of SP's new 400 trans'

I would like to see what I could do with that 3.0 NA motor. Any ideas of how much boost those guys with the f-max or sp turbo kits run? and how much boost the stock motor can take?

I'm sure I'll be emailing you for the wiring I never was good with electrical stuff. I stick with what I'm good at, mechanical stuff.
I belive you might need a custom drive shaft since the shifter in SC is not in the same place as in Supra. Also, SP pushes for F-MAX, but F-MAX sucks so forget about it. SP turbos are too big unless you're planning on building up the 2JZ-GE motor (notice two SC300s build by SP blew up, they're both on this board). Just go with Toyomoto if you want a turbo kit or (the best) is an engine swap and 6 speed tranny.

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 07-09-02 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-10-02, 04:59 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

directQL, SP has a modified HKS manifold with a different few inches of runner section and flanges, that will bolt to the GE head. Yes, Ethan did pop those two motors, but not because of FMAX (which was not on his car) or SP, it was a problem with the block, which has been remedied. Who's the other member here who's SC300 built by SP 'blew up?' And they do offer turbos that will work just fine with an internally stock GE.
Old 07-10-02, 08:38 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
directQL, SP has a modified HKS manifold with a different few inches of runner section and flanges, that will bolt to the GE head. Yes, Ethan did pop those two motors, but not because of FMAX (which was not on his car) or SP, it was a problem with the block, which has been remedied. Who's the other member here who's SC300 built by SP 'blew up?' And they do offer turbos that will work just fine with an internally stock GE.
Cory is the other guy. I know all about SP turbos and I know he didn't have F-MAX kit. Generally F-MAX comes with some bad pipeing. So you will end up having boost leaks and related stuff which could lead to engine failure. I remember the night when Ethan poped the engine. Ivan sure was not happy about towing Ethan' car.
Old 07-11-02, 12:19 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
Cory is the other guy. I know all about SP turbos and I know he didn't have F-MAX kit. Generally F-MAX comes with some bad pipeing. So you will end up having boost leaks and related stuff which could lead to engine failure. I remember the night when Ethan poped the engine. Ivan sure was not happy about towing Ethan' car.

can anyone back that up ? they say the same thing on the supra board but no one can back it up ... maybe F-max just has a bad rep. I heard they have improved there kit .. but then again I can't back that up either.

Last edited by SDSC300; 07-11-02 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-11-02, 09:10 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by SDSC300

can anyone back that up ? they say the same thing on the supra board but no one can back it up ... maybe F-max just has a bad rep. I heard they have improved there kit .. but then again I can't back that up either.
Yeah, I saw that current F-MAX kit looks different so I was wontering the same thing.
Old 07-11-02, 10:34 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cory has never blown up a motor (at least not in his sc300). Cory blew up his transmission, not his motor. Corys motor had 130k on it when he turboed it (on a 7 owner car that didn't seem to have had too great of care) and he never had a motor problem.

I on the other hand have blown up two motors. Why? Because the ******* previous owner lying about motor work, and us trusting his **** block the second time around instead of just nutting up and actually buying a new (used) longblock. Sorry for the vulgarity, but as you can tell I was not too happy with the situation.

-Ethan
Old 07-11-02, 10:42 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Ebanks
Cory has never blown up a motor (at least not in his sc300). Cory blew up his transmission, not his motor. Corys motor had 130k on it when he turboed it (on a 7 owner car that didn't seem to have had too great of care) and he never had a motor problem.

I on the other hand have blown up two motors. Why? Because the ******* previous owner lying about motor work, and us trusting his **** block the second time around instead of just nutting up and actually buying a new (used) longblock. Sorry for the vulgarity, but as you can tell I was not too happy with the situation.

-Ethan
So what did SP do in your car? Obviously not just a turbo.

Quick Reply: New Member