SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1jz swap problem..no fuel to no spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 05:46 PM
preston145
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz swap problem..no fuel to no spark

Alright guys me and a friend that i met on this site Eldon Green(BigEZ) have been working on this car on and off a few times together trying to figure the fuel issue out. We have the fuel issue and it fired right up today and even sounded healthy for having the intercooler not hooked up and misc. hose not plugged in. I shut the car off and we resumed to wiring the relay and what not for the fuel..When it got time to fire it up to make sure it worked right it wouldnt crank. We tested every thing...All fuses are in check. Car is getting fuel. I decided to check for spark. Im getting power to igniter to the coils. When the car turns over no popping or spark and the test light was not pulsing at all. Pulled spark plug out. it wasnt flooded or anything put plug to valve cover turned over no spark at all.

What could the problem be? Could the igniter have taken a crap on me on a first crank? Seems a bit odd. Any input is welcome. i wish someone lived close to augusta Ga with a 1jz car ((((
Old 08-12-10, 08:57 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

I acctually used the ignitor in that car in my old car and it worked fine, did you ever get a TPS all wired up?
Old 08-12-10, 10:10 PM
frankdms
Pole Position

Verify your power/ grounds at the pcm. Injectors/coils have power with KOEO? I would start with the pcm.
Old 08-12-10, 11:53 PM
preston145
Driver

Okay im kinda of a noob with the abbreviations on these cars. What is the PCM? and where is it located. And yes ATTZOR the Tps is wired up and there. Its just not getting any spark anymore after one crank? im so stumped. Could the timing have jumped? if im getting power to the coils why am i not getting spark? UGHHHHH
Old 08-13-10, 11:02 AM
vangb2
Pole Position

What year and model do you have? Please provide the information so we all can better help you.

Igniter usually never goes out. In your quote
When it got time to fire it up to make sure it worked right it wouldn't crank.
. Do you mean it did not turn over or it did turn over but nothing happen?

If you have fuel, check to see if your injectors are opening. ECU may have crapped out if it does not open. Have you physically hooked up a spark plug to your COP to check for real sparks? you should do that but don't get zap. Compression test all your cylinder.

Always re-check your fuel, sparks, and compression.
Old 08-13-10, 11:17 AM
AlwaysDTF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hmm

ahh, damn. i live in bama so im not to far from u. maybe i could swing by so u can see how the 1jz is.
Old 08-13-10, 02:42 PM
preston145
Driver

shoot please swing by (ALWaysDTF).....i wish i knew more about these cars. We fired the car up as soon as we figured out the fuel issue. I turned it off my self it didnt even die on me. When we went to crank it up again it tunred over but no start. It was getting fuel as we took off the hose. I physically took the spark plug out of the hole while still attached to the coil careful to not get zapped I turned the car over while eldon held the plug to the cover....no sparks no anything. Its getting fuel now but no spark after one crank.

Also all fuses are good, fuel is not the issue anymore. Injectors are getting 12v as they should. Now where is this PCM? and where are the Cam and crank sensors on this car?

BTW the Car is a 1992 lexus Sc300 chaser motor, chaser ECU, soarer harness extended by DR tweak. Hope that helps

Last edited by preston145; 08-13-10 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-13-10, 07:49 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

Well, did you do the wiring yourself?

You have 2 cam sensors. They are plugged directly into your cylinder head on the drive side. If you know where your camshaft is, you should know where your sensors are. Crank sensor is located behind the balancer.

Your diagnostic box should be located on the side of the intake manifold. I will not provide information how to pull codes and a code list because it has been covered many time in threads.

You may be on the right track. Your cam is used for timing. It will tell the ECU to fire the injectors and coils. How do you know you are getting 12v to the injectors? If you have constant 12v to injectors then your engine would have flooded unless you are using a injector tester and see pulsing. If your injectors are getting pulsation then you should be seeing sparks also.

The only other explanation is a bad ECU.
Old 08-13-10, 07:53 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

BTW, if you did the wiring yourself, you need to make sure that the cam and the crank wire is one piece all the way to the ecu. Splicing can cause noises to enter and interrupt the signal. Most people will use USB 2.0 cable for the crank and cam sensors.
Old 08-13-10, 08:29 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Man i hate hearing about problems like this.

I am not a mechanic and any advice i would give u would be purely guess work.

I really like how everyone here tries to help out the best they can.

When I see things like ALWAYSDTF offer to swing by to offer help I really feel the sense of a community and I can tell you guys really want to help and not just give the impression of help.

I wish you luck on your problem--I just went through hell with mine and it was the kindness of my mechanic that got the problem solved.

Wish I could help.

Good luck
Old 08-13-10, 08:31 PM
preston145
Driver

Dr tweak did the harness. I knoiw the injectors are getting 12v bc i turn the accerosory to the on position and im getting a constant to the 12vs to the injector clips.

It may have flooded but by the time i took the spark plugs out it didnt seem to bad.

Are you saying if it isnt getting the fuel then it wouldnt get any spark? that doesnt make any sense as i should be able to pull the efi relay and still turn the car over and get spark. Im trying the ignitor first. Im just baffled as the car cranked fine and now it wont crank back up with out any spark.

And i would like to give a big thanks to Eldon(bigez) for all the help he ahs driven from atlanta a few times now giving me a hand with the car. Its just been really hot out and we get exhausted fairly quickly. I wish someone that had a 1jz car was closer around.