SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Getting Rid of Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 05:36 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Rid of Car

So I need some opinions. I wanna get rid of my car, as I have thought about it a lot... but I can't seem to get myself to let it go. Someone even made me a pretty decent offer on it, but I don't even know what I'd get. I was looking at LS400's then I felt too much like a grampa, then looked at more SC's, 240's, DSMs, and stuff just in the cheap-er price range but I don't even know. Then started looking at cars that got really good gas mileage and were just boring to drive (Xb's, newer civics, focus's, Fuzion's, G20s, etc...)

I'm so bored with the car and don't have the time to modify it or work on it, or turbo it, or anything. I'm sick of getting 19 mpg also (auto rear end with W58 - closer gearing).

How do you get rid of a car you don't really want, but don't mind having and like some days? haha. Advice plz.
Old 08-13-10, 05:44 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One man, one car? Is it China or something Buy another car, keep old one. No brainer.
Old 08-13-10, 05:54 AM
PEARL2
Pole Position

I hear ya, I go thruough the same thing frequently. Being bored is one thing and sensible is another. It all dependes on your age and what you have planned for the future. What this car take from you in gas money, its makes up for with low maintenance cost. If you do, don't waste time with a car payment.
Old 08-13-10, 06:01 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PEARL2
I hear ya, I go thruough the same thing frequently. Being bored is one thing and sensible is another. It all dependes on your age and what you have planned for the future. What this car take from you in gas money, its makes up for with low maintenance cost. If you do, don't waste time with a car payment.
Well within the next few months here, I'll probably not be home much and be on the road every other few months (without the car, and it will just sit), but when I do drive, I drive like 100+ miles a day running errands, hanging out w/ friends, etc...

I can't have two cars, I'm gonna have to move in a few months and won't have enough room for two cars, ha.

Anyone here want it, I'm over it.

Last edited by CP_Ree; 08-13-10 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-13-10, 07:19 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much for tranny?? if you really want to part with it then part it out..
Old 08-13-10, 07:28 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you can't afford the luxury/gas..... you just can't afford it. so sell it!
you'll be able to sell a 97+ 5spd pretty easily...

i'm trying to think fun/affordable/economical here....ummmm, miata?
i would definitely stay away from the DSM's, Fords, and Infiniti's you have listed...
Old 08-13-10, 07:35 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 96SC4
if you can't afford the luxury/gas..... you just can't afford it. so sell it!
you'll be able to sell a 97+ 5spd pretty easily...

i'm trying to think fun/affordable/economical here....ummmm, miata?
i would definitely stay away from the DSM's, Fords, and Infiniti's you have listed...
It's not even being able to "afford" it. It's more or less.... I feel like I could spend my money elsewhere because my care for car-stuff is pretty much at a meh... It's also got 265k miles on it and only going up fast as I keep on driving it running my errands for the rest of my life's adventures . It just sucks cause I lied to myself and thought I cared about cars still and put a fresh coat of paint on it too, lol.

Originally Posted by megamax
how much for tranny?? if you really want to part with it then part it out..
Don't really have time to part it out.
Old 08-13-10, 07:38 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^gotcha. thought you were looking for "cheaper cars" with better gas mileage b/c the Lex was draining you.
i don't know man, selling is a tough decision....i think about all the time. lol
Old 08-13-10, 08:37 AM
MrBrock
Driver

Originally Posted by CP_Ree
It's not even being able to "afford" it. It's more or less.... I feel like I could spend my money elsewhere because my care for car-stuff is pretty much at a meh... It's also got 265k miles on it and only going up fast as I keep on driving it running my errands for the rest of my life's adventures . It just sucks cause I lied to myself and thought I cared about cars still and put a fresh coat of paint on it too, lol.

So are you going to turn in your man card, get a prius or caravan, put a soccer ball sticker in the window and talk on your cell phone while being completely oblivious to everything around you? If not, then why sell the cool car you have. Drive it till it dies, then fix it and drive it some more. I went through a time where I got rid of my cool cars and went economical. One day I had enough, sold my camry and my S10 and got an SC400. You'll miss it.
Old 08-13-10, 08:54 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 447 Likes on 369 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MrBrock
So are you going to turn in your man card, get a prius or caravan, put a soccer ball sticker in the window and talk on your cell phone while being completely oblivious to everything around you? If not, then why sell the cool car you have. Drive it till it dies, then fix it and drive it some more. I went through a time where I got rid of my cool cars and went economical. One day I had enough, sold my camry and my S10 and got an SC400. You'll miss it.
I agree. I could never go back to having just the average, boring economical car. If I were to sell my SC, I'd just get another sports car. Why not do a 1JZ swap or sell this SC and buy a newer one? The LS400 is a good choice because the UCF20's are some of the nicest cars I've EVER been in. A nice exhaust setup, tint, a drop, and some wheels and you'll have a semi-sporty VIP ride. The same goes for the second generation GS if you like either of those cars.
Old 08-13-10, 09:01 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do ANYTHING to have your car. Unfortunatly the only thing I have to offer is my '99 SC4, and if your bored with ur car ud probably bored with an auto too lol.
Either way, if for some reason the trade interests you, lemme know..
But given how much I've dreamt of owning a '97 5spd, I'd say keep it.
Old 08-13-10, 09:34 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get rid of it, I dare you...and I will bet $5 that you will be back within a year either looking for another SC, or posting pics of an SC you just picked up...

Look at almost 90% of the other members here that have parted with their SC's, they all come crawling back, and having to start all over again.

Or you can be like the other 10% that replace their SC with a BMW/Mercedes/Porsche (I dont care for any of them) and then enjoy the higher cost of annual maintenance, higher insurance, and still having to start at square 1 of mods..
Old 08-13-10, 09:35 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

lol man i've hit a similar roadblock a few times, and ended up with another SC everytime...

after doing my first 1jz sc i decided something more practical just makes sense, after i actually sold it the ideal of getting a civic or 240, i just couldn't do it, with nothing but regret for selling my SC 7 days later i end up having a 5 speed black interior SC shipped from Cali to me on the east coast..

after putting thousands into my new 5 speed SC, i realize with a new baby on the way a nice family 4 door makes more sense so i sold my SC picked up a GS430..

6 months later i have enough to buy a 2nd car so i get my fiancee a 03 Camry SE, sell the GS430 to get a more practical gas saver, at the same time my friend offers me a deal on his 97 RSP SC with black interior..

well long story short i'm back in a SC for the 3rd time.. Now i'm thinking about going back to school (40 mile commute one way) so i'd like to sell the SC and get something more practical (cheaper gas, cheaper to maintain)
still the ideal of giving up my SC and driving a civic freaks me out..

I came from hondas actually, had several integra's, civics, but it's different after owning a few Lex's GS's, SC's other cars just don't feel or ride the same.. most cars have such sh1tty interiors..
Old 08-13-10, 09:55 AM
TankMR
Lead Lap

This guy is a loony, talking about he's tired of a 97 5-speed lol
Old 08-13-10, 10:16 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TankMR
This guy is a loony, talking about he's tired of a 97 5-speed lol
Well I dunno what else to do. Ha. I'm at a 1/4 life crisis.

As far as trade for a 99 SC400? Not gonna lie, that does spark some interest...

Quick Reply: Getting Rid of Car