SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Dash and Console Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 08:24 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any idea what an upholstery shop would charge to do the interior from tan to black?
Old 08-26-10, 08:30 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanshyguy
Your interior is just gorgeous, I never thought about doing this, now I can't get it out of my head.
Thanks for the kind words Meanshyguy CL is just packed full of amazing ideas from great people all over the country/world. Believe me I had no clue about trying something like this before I got my SC,and now I would without a doubt say it's the #1 thing I'm most proud of in the past 2 years of modding.

When I first saw it I too couldn't get it out of my head and everytime I stepped into my stock tan interior all I could do was envision what it would look like with the black/tan combo. I started saving money immediately (college student mind you) and still went ahead with doing it after only saving about half of the necessary funds (thank you sweet Jesus for credit cards ).

Definitely do it if you are is into it as I was (and still am to this date). Just remember to prep correctly and take your time....the end results will be well worth it I promise you
Old 08-26-10, 08:39 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes sir, will do, thanks for all that info.
Old 08-26-10, 08:45 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkim1120
any idea what an upholstery shop would charge to do the interior from tan to black?
If you mean from from a full tan interior to a full black interior I may be able to give you a ball park estimate. My black/tan combo was basically like having a little less than half of the interior done for a full black interior conversion. This alone cost me around 330. Then I had both of my front seats redyed to OEM tan for 250 (could have been redyed to black if I wanted to mind you).

My upholster/redye leather guy told me if I had wanted to redye the rest of my car it would have cost me around another 300 or so which would have included the headliner but not the carpet.

So all in all your looking at a minimum of around 1000 (and it would be even more if you wanted your seats to be re-upholstered in real black leather instead of re-dyed). Now yes this is still the same amount of money as buying a full black interior from aliga here on the forums, and grant it you may be able to re-sell some of your old tan interior. So let's say if you went that route it would cost you 700 (your most likely not going to be able to sell all of your old tan interior since everyone has it).

At the end of the day it all depends on where you want to spend your money. Would you rather re-dye the whole interior and do it yourself for cheap, pay someone to re-dye the whole interior for a hefty price, pay someone to re-upholster the seats with new leather and re-dye some parts for a hefty price, or buy a at minimum 10 year old black interior SC (2000 model SC) for 1000 and see what you can re-sell of your more than likely 13 year old tan interior SC.

So many ways to slice and dice it but at the end of the day a black/tan interior SC looks great and a full black interior SC looks even better too!!!

P.S. Sorry for the long drawn out reply.....haha
Old 08-26-10, 08:46 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Meanshyguy
Yes sir, will do, thanks for all that info.
Your very welcome
Old 08-26-10, 09:04 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great response
i have a tan interior that is relatively clean, but i want to go full black. get the interior reworked.
Old 08-26-10, 09:51 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

To my taste, black and tan look just sexy.
Old 08-26-10, 10:36 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 423 Likes on 347 Posts

The black and tan combo is VERY nice. I haven't had the chance to ride in a two-tone interior SC, but the ones with a black interior feel like a totally different car. Both feel more up to date and a lot cleaner than the ugly brown/dark tan/or whatever you call that funky color. I like the grey interior the most though. The OEM gray interior is sick.
Old 08-27-10, 10:35 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Black and Tan FTMFW!!! I have all black on my other sc and I really dont like it as much as my daily with this done. its been about a year now and it still looks brand new inside. I did the RIT dye on the carpet too, holds up to vacuums with no problems. I also did the armrests in black suede, to me it feels more like a "sporty interior" if that makes any sense.

Old 08-27-10, 01:38 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Those are some nice steering wheels, I'm new to SC's and haven't had the chance to search as much as I want, but I know those are from other models, nice upgrade.
Oh and your interior looks nice as well, very sporty like you said.
Old 08-27-10, 08:23 PM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty much from what I understand on the steering wheels: you can use anything with a 1 stage airbag. I recommend the IS300 steering wheel just because it feels sportier with the bump things on it.
Old 08-27-10, 10:51 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Thanks for the advice.