SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help. Oil leaks at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 06:21 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Oil leaks at high speeds

Has anyone ever experienced this issue before? This is the second time this has happened to me. Last weekend I was on my way down south and I engaged in a heated battle (race) with a charger. I put my SC400 in 3rd gear and let him have it. However, once I got up in the higher RPM's, I noticed a mist, which I later found out was oil ( not sure which oil), coming from the rear of my car. I quickly slowed down, checked all gauges and nothing???? This has happened 1 time before. Basically the same scenario. Once I reached my destination, My rear bumper had oil on it. I checked the top of the motor and no signs of any oil. When I park in my garage, there is no oil leaks anywhere??? I almost certain that this has to do with some sort of pressure issue(s) I just don't know where to start.....

There are some signs of "oil" on the right pipe going tho the right muffler... I suspect something to do with the diff. But that's just a wild stab in the dark.

Any educated suggestions will be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks in advance CL
Old 08-13-10, 07:11 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Is it possible that it's gear oil from the diff that is only thrown off/out at very high speeds which you don't normally encounter unless you're racing? And this oil on the rear bumper "clean" ? . . . as in, there's no way this was oily particulate that had passed through the exhaust? (again, high rpm's effecting bad valve guides, oil rings, etc.)
Old 08-13-10, 07:44 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Default Oil

Originally Posted by good2go
Is it possible that it's gear oil from the diff that is only thrown off/out at very high speeds which you don't normally encounter unless you're racing? And this oil on the rear bumper "clean" ? . . . as in, there's no way this was oily particulate that had passed through the exhaust? (again, high rpm's effecting bad valve guides, oil rings, etc.)
Well from my initial check the oil on the bumper was clear/clean. I don't suspect it to be coming from the motor at all. Because there is no trace of oil in that area. Where on the diff could the oil be leaking from?
Old 08-13-10, 07:49 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gear oil has a completely different smell compared to oil. If you know what gear oil smells like, you'll definitely know right away.
Old 08-13-10, 07:56 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Default RE: Oil

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
Gear oil has a completely different smell compared to oil. If you know what gear oil smells like, you'll definitely know right away.
I could very well be gear oil. But where could it be coming from? And why does it only leak when under pressure? Is there a pressure valve on the diff.?
Old 08-13-10, 08:55 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is indeed coming from the differential it would make sense that it's leaking at speed. The faster your car is going the faster the diff. is going to spin, which equates to building up pressure. Check the diff. for leaks around the pinion gear (front), inspection cover (rear) and output shaft seals. If it's coming from the right side (passenger side) I would think it may be leaking from the passenger side output shaft seal.
Old 08-13-10, 09:16 PM
Sc4Jr24
Driver

baby powder it. ive learn if you don't know where a leak is coming from clean up the area throw some baby powder were you suspect it take a quick drive and it will show. I do it on aircraft engine if i cant find the leak.
Old 08-13-10, 09:38 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Great info... You guys are awesome! I will be checking all that has been suggested. I will definitely be applying the "baby powder" technique. Thumbs up "junior24". "3Rotor" you have just given me a "duffel bag" full of info and a good starting point.... "good2go" thanks for getting every ones wheels turning on this issue.... Nuff respect!

I'll will update with what I come up with once a get a chance of putting it on the lift....
Old 08-14-10, 05:09 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you do anything check oil level in the diff. As far as leak goes, diff have vent on the top. Make sure is not clogged.
Old 08-14-10, 02:11 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
No doubt! If it has any kind of mileage on it, it smells like a a rotting corpse Skunky gear oil is NASTY!
Old 08-14-10, 09:40 PM
Drewbeeee
Pole Position

sure its not transmission fluid spraying onto the exhaust at high speeds ?happens to me once in a blue moon...still havent figured out the problem why its happening (my car is white so i see the color of my fluid and its red)
Old 08-15-10, 05:23 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drewbeeee
sure its not transmission fluid spraying onto the exhaust at high speeds ?happens to me once in a blue moon...still havent figured out the problem why its happening (my car is white so i see the color of my fluid and its red)
Same problem, check your tranny vent. I would also change fluid that may be foaming
Old 09-07-10, 06:22 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Greetings to all that chimed in with valuable information. I went to Toyota and had my differential oil changed last week. I asked the tech to check the diff and it's components for any leaks. The only thing that he had to say was that the old oil was "OLD". It seems that the oil has never been changed. I have 160k miles. The only thing that he could suggest was that there is a type of "pressure blow off". He wasn't sure which oil though. So I'm waiting for him to check "all data" and get back to me. I will update as soon as I obtain any valuable info. Thanks again CL family... You guys are a ton of knowledge and then some...