SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

ebay mufflers?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10 | 10:16 AM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

Default ebay mufflers?????

so im looking to get an exhaust for my car, nothing crazy, over all i just want a deeper louder tone and maybe like a 5-10 hp gain lol. but can i just buy universal mufflers off ebay and get them welded on? or should i save and get some HKS universals? and does it really matter or am i just paying for the name with an HKS exhaust?

somthing like this maybe?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-16-10 | 10:21 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

First off, you are probably not going to be gaining any noticeable power increases. Are you planning on just getting the mufflers put on or are you having a shop build the entire system? I have never tried eBay mufflers, so this is just based on my opinion. The money that is spent on an authentic exhaust goes into the sound/tonal qualities, R&D and craftsmanship of the company.

If you have heard an 4" HKS Ti (not Carbon Ti) on a boosted 2J, you will know exactly what mean. It's got a great sound.
Old 08-16-10 | 10:58 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

i have a ebay exhaust(full 3") system. and i mean full. i got it from cx racing. sounds great. that throaty feel. i gained some hp(because iam turbo). an n/a not sure if youre going to gain anything. depending whats inside the exhaust(the materials in the tube). it will sound like a honda fart can. or it will sound decent.
Old 08-16-10 | 11:15 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I got some OBX Apex-I WSII want to be... and got the 3" all the way back. It's not super loud but it is loud due to the fact it's 3" and non turbo yet. They don't sound bad they do the job.
Old 08-16-10 | 11:44 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

1 u wont get any power behind this just a louder db voulume.

2. if u want power out of ur n/a u need heards intake cams itb u know (the usual)

3 if dont the right way just get a nice axel back and be done with it
Old 08-16-10 | 01:23 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kpkim01
so im looking to get an exhaust for my car, nothing crazy, over all i just want a deeper louder tone and maybe like a 5-10 hp gain lol. but can i just buy universal mufflers off ebay and get them welded on? or should i save and get some HKS universals? and does it really matter or am i just paying for the name with an HKS exhaust?

somthing like this maybe?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...Q5fAccessories

I have an ebay universal muffler, very similar to the one you posted there, and I like it. Very smooth tone at idle, 3'' inlet, 4.5'' out. Although I am waiting to finish up my 5'' for later in the build with a different exhaust, I like the ebay muffler I have.

BUT, quality in overall craftsmanship between ebay and say an HKS/Greddy, its almost night/day difference. The packing material, quality of the metal, welds(thickness and weld type) is going to be much better with a higher end exhaust. But unless your going for bragging rights, there really isnt a major gain. All these mufflers advertising 10-25+ rwhp increase, regardless of manufacturer, are full of BS. If you want power gains, just turbo and run straight pipe.
Old 08-16-10 | 03:43 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Turbo_LX
My friend got Tanabe medalion on his car.. sounds pretty cool. You can always buy the universal ones: http://www.tanabe-usa.com/tunermedalion.asp then get yourself some custom piping... much better.
That muffler costs more than my entire 3'' turbo back exhaust..DP, MP, mandrel bends, and the muffler...
Old 08-16-10 | 05:41 PM
sc300bigtx
Driver

the best bank for your buck imo is the apexi n1 universal mufflers i picked up 2 for $100 off of k2motor i think they sound great for being na not raspy but quite at idle but sound nice with wot
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a...00bigtx/ex.jpg
Old 08-18-10 | 01:14 PM
ogre
Driver

.I have these ebay mufflers on my car. but I am turbo with a 3" exhaust with no cat into dual 2.5". its pretty loud but not ricey sounding. I noticed a difference over the factory supra exhaust that was on the car
Old 08-18-10 | 02:29 PM
JohnMatt
Pole Position

cut out the factory mufflers and weld in a summit resonator.
Old 08-18-10 | 05:45 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

im interested in doing mine from the cat back in 3 1/2 single exit, Not sure of what it will sound like because im still NA,If it sounds raspy il just trow a resonator at it and hope for the best
Old 08-18-10 | 07:19 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

what size is the stock pipiing for sc400's? is it 2.5 or sumting like that
Old 08-18-10 | 07:41 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pipe
im interested in doing mine from the cat back in 3 1/2 single exit, Not sure of what it will sound like because im still NA,If it sounds raspy il just trow a resonator at it and hope for the best
I wouldnt recommend 3.5'' for n/a unless you plan on boosting right away. 3'' is the biggest I would go for n/a.
Old 08-18-10 | 09:22 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
I wouldnt recommend 3.5'' for n/a unless you plan on boosting right away. 3'' is the biggest I would go for n/a.
sooner or later im gonna put some boost in it <i was under the car and noticed that the stock piping is about 3" already (at mid pipe) i just figured if i upped the size it would be better nut i do agree with you tho.
Old 08-19-10 | 05:51 AM
captcrunch
Driver

Originally Posted by kpkim01
what size is the stock pipiing for sc400's? is it 2.5 or sumting like that
the size is 2.25"

Quick Reply: ebay mufflers?????