SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anyone Still Running their Stock Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 09:32 PM
Neil4Speed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Still Running their Stock Stereo?

Hey everyone,

Sadly one of the rear speakers in the SC400 was starting to give out and produce some horrible sounds at certain frequencies. I just finished swapping them out (ps getting that rear shelf is a *****!). I was shocked that the Nakamichi's (1k+ option back in the day) litterally disintegrated in my hands. The cardboard was so brittle it was just falling apart. Granted my car spent many of its years in Arizona and California, but I was still taken a back.

Anyone else running their stock speakers?

for the record, I am still hanging tough with the 12CD changer.
Old 08-16-10, 09:37 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

My 97 has the factory woofer wired up to an aftermarket amp and MTX front splits, sounds fantastic for what it is but has started to give out as of recent so I'm looking to redo the entire sound system (as well as the rest of the car... gotta love project cars ).

My 91 has all factory speakers, amps and EMV touchscreen deck. All work flawlessly except for the radio (Japanese FM band is different to the Aussie spec) and the old school GPS system thinks I'm driving on water lol.

The Japanese spec Soarers never came with the Nakamichi option, all parts were sourced through Matsu****a (Panasonic?) and Pioneer. Even though the speakers are closing in on 20 years they still beat the crap out of the speakers in my 01 GS300 (factory Pioneer).
Old 08-16-10, 10:06 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I still got the stock system. Was gonna concentrate on preformance mods and do audio last, but that all changed when I bought a carPC. Looks like I'm gonna be doing a whole new system now, and preformance later lol
Old 08-16-10, 10:13 PM
lk123
Rookie

stock,wish it had more bass and a cd player lol i might get a amp/sub and hook up an ipod
Old 08-16-10, 10:17 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still? I haven't had this car for a month yet, but i love it. And i'm loving my 12 disc changer. 98 factory system, not the Nak. and it sounds great. beats my friend's MDX's Bose system.
Old 08-16-10, 10:24 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think our systems sound pretty decent for stock, all my money is going towards power and looks. i hate the 12 disc changer remixing and skipping all of my songs, i just hook up my ipod to the tape player and im happy.
Old 08-16-10, 10:51 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

What speed do you guys burn your CD's at? Mine are all copied at about 2x to 4x and it works perfectly fine in the stacker.
Old 08-16-10, 11:01 PM
bspecmr2
Driver School Candidate

My sc3 is a 96, came w/ the Pioneer unit and it's completely stock. It sounds amazing. My only gripe is that the changer skips over road imperfections. As far as I know there are no good solutions to that, except for getting new suspension and expensive tires that provide better ride cushioning.
Old 08-16-10, 11:36 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Still running stock, but want an ipod unit for my car
Old 08-17-10, 02:08 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Yes...unfortunately . A couple speakers are in and out, too. I've dumped too much cash into it with all of the fun upgrades in the past 4 months I've owned it. So, I'll have to wait a while before I decide to upgrade interior comforts like audio.
Old 08-17-10, 03:10 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Got a DDIN & an amp on stock system atm. Stock speakers blow, looking to replace speakers and deciding on sub.
Old 08-17-10, 06:30 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock HU, speakers, amp, changer etc. Mines a '95 and sounds fine to me.
I wish it had an Aux port but oh well. I've tried the tape deck/Aux thing and
that sounds terrible to me. I've tried two different ones and it's distortion is
horrible.
Old 08-17-10, 06:46 AM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

My '99 system is 100% stock. Did have 1 of the bulbs behind burn out though just recently
Old 08-17-10, 07:46 AM
Neil4Speed
Driver

Hmm good to know - I replaced my speakers with a pair of 4022i Infiniti Reference Speakers which had the highest sensitivity which I could find as a OEM replacement, they fit and sound pretty well to me!

As far as the changer goes, I would highly highly recommend everyone go out and purchase a CD lens cleaner (the one with the little tiny brushes on the bottom), I ran one through after the CD player was extremely stubborn to play CD's and now it only skips over really hard bumps/knocks.

As far as burned CD's to play, I have had the best luck with Taiyo Yuden Brand CD-Rs (they were a co-inventor of the blank medium). I have experimented at several different speeds and from my experiences could not notice any difference. During the "higher" tracks, it does still have a bit of trouble "resuming" after the car is turned off.

I was really tempted to buy a Pioneer AVIC system but the loss of my Subwoofer was something I was not willing to deal with. I find the Nakamichi system is very "refined" and can produce a nice balanced sound, however for those times you want some harder bass it really lacks. It wasn't designed for that purpose though.
Old 08-17-10, 07:46 AM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bspecmr2
My sc3 is a 96, came w/ the Pioneer unit and it's completely stock. It sounds amazing. My only gripe is that the changer skips over road imperfections. As far as I know there are no good solutions to that, except for getting new suspension and expensive tires that provide better ride cushioning.

Ditto that in my 93. Once in a while an error code will appear but on 2nd try works fine - these are cds that were copied. Since installing Eibachs and new prothane bushings, its a little worse.

Quick Reply: Anyone Still Running their Stock Stereo?