New and Looking

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 11:57 PM
JS116
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Question New and Looking

Hello everyone(again)

WOW i just typed almost 3 paragraph's introudcing myself and explaing my situation and the site froze up lol.Well im going to cut this short and simple.

Basically I was explaing I'm 17 a senior in high school in North Carolina and getting a license in Mid November and hopefully trying to get my own car soon after(maybe a couple of month's).I decided to choose an Sc300 for my pick because it's reliable and it can satisfy me performance wise,I wanna remind you guys im not some kid who wants a car so he can show off or claim to beat everybody else.Im just trying to get a daily driving car that i can tune when im ready to step it up and also so when I go to the track with friends.I wont go into detail like I did before because I dont want the website to freeze again lol.What im trying to figure out is should i wait to find an 5spd or just go get an auto and swap to manual.I reallly want an 5spd becuase i've driven manuels and LOVE them but it seems this specific model and make doesnt come around to often in 5spd.I want to throw an 2jz in there proboly when I save the money up.

I dont know too much about cars,but im willing ot learn as a future tuner.Also note that I have been searchin/browisng this forum to help me out and it has but I just wanted to put my situation out there so i could get specific help.well get back to me asap thanx..much appreciated

-Shawn
Old 08-18-10, 12:22 AM
2ndgen300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man im 18 and just got my 5 speed 2jz a couple months ago. i would definatly wait and try to find one cuz they are amazing, and an engine swap is going to cost you some cash, so unless you got money to spend i would wait it out and find the right one. but good luck and make sure to post pics when you get it!
Old 08-18-10, 12:32 AM
JS116
Driver School Candidate

Cool man and thanx much appreciated i think im leaningg towards waiting anyway..and i surely will post pics when I get ii!
Old 08-19-10, 12:22 AM
JS116
Driver School Candidate

Default Swap

I have a quick question on 2jzgte swap..How can i found out how to make it pass emissions testing in North Carolina?Unlike California I heard we have it pretty lax over here with swaps

Im looking towards getting these guys todo my swap check out here other carsthey tuneed in my town

http://www.nationalspeedinc.com/

Last edited by JS116; 08-19-10 at 12:30 AM. Reason: forgot link
Old 08-19-10, 08:54 AM
codye3m
Rookie

where r u from in nc
Old 08-19-10, 09:14 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good call with getting an SC. If you're good with cars you could always swap in a manual later and pick up a really nice auto for now. You could even get an SC400 and swap a manual in if you wanted to, but then if you wanted to ditch the v8 to go with a GTE swap it would be a bit tougher.
Old 08-19-10, 09:22 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JS116
Hello everyone(again)

WOW i just typed almost 3 paragraph's introudcing myself and explaing my situation and the site froze up lol.Well im going to cut this short and simple.

Basically I was explaing I'm 17 a senior in high school in North Carolina and getting a license in Mid November and hopefully trying to get my own car soon after(maybe a couple of month's).I decided to choose an Sc300 for my pick because it's reliable and it can satisfy me performance wise,I wanna remind you guys im not some kid who wants a car so he can show off or claim to beat everybody else.Im just trying to get a daily driving car that i can tune when im ready to step it up and also so when I go to the track with friends.I wont go into detail like I did before because I dont want the website to freeze again lol.What im trying to figure out is should i wait to find an 5spd or just go get an auto and swap to manual.I reallly want an 5spd becuase i've driven manuels and LOVE them but it seems this specific model and make doesnt come around to often in 5spd.I want to throw an 2jz in there proboly when I save the money up.

I dont know too much about cars,but im willing ot learn as a future tuner.Also note that I have been searchin/browisng this forum to help me out and it has but I just wanted to put my situation out there so i could get specific help.well get back to me asap thanx..much appreciated

-Shawn
Welcome to CL. You do realize that all SC300s come with a 2JZ already

Im looking towards getting these guys todo my swap check out here other carsthey tuneed in my town

http://www.nationalspeedinc.com/
Uhmm....I didn't see a single 2JZ project in there
Old 08-19-10, 09:35 AM
lexus95
Driver

im 16 with a sc400. where at in NC are you? and as far as looking into getting someone to do the swap for you i would go with Majestic Motorsports out in Jacksonville

http://www.majesticmotorsports.net/index.cfm

Last edited by lexus95; 08-19-10 at 09:38 AM. Reason: add a link
Old 08-19-10, 11:43 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pshhh! Do the swap yourself! A friend and I did mine when we were 18 and the most we had ever done before were oil changes and spark plugs. Swaps on these cars are pretty easy as long as you get the wiring sorted out before it goes in the car.
Old 08-19-10, 12:05 PM
scforlife
Driver

Default Agreed

Originally Posted by OneJay
Pshhh! Do the swap yourself! A friend and I did mine when we were 18 and the most we had ever done before were oil changes and spark plugs. Swaps on these cars are pretty easy as long as you get the wiring sorted out before it goes in the car.
I'm 16 and have done all the work to my car myself. Even if you arent mechanically inclined, with some patience and the right information you can go far. Good luck on your desicion.
Old 08-19-10, 12:35 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, just wait for a really clean car. Auto or manual. I waited around a bit, saw some 5speeds that i liked, but they weren't as clean as the one i ended up picking up. Now i have a 98 SC3, only came in an auto, but there's not a single problem, other than it's not fast/low enough...Take your time, the right one will find you. =P
Old 08-19-10, 12:56 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Get a 400 like I did and then do a manual swap! My friend just made a prototype of an R154 adapter plate.
Old 08-26-10, 10:24 PM
JS116
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Yeah, just wait for a really clean car. Auto or manual. I waited around a bit, saw some 5speeds that i liked, but they weren't as clean as the one i ended up picking up. Now i have a 98 SC3, only came in an auto, but there's not a single problem, other than it's not fast/low enough...Take your time, the right one will find you. =P
I agree 100%

Also I showed my dad this car and he actually likes it and I think
It might be a winner! haha, Can someone point in the right direction
to learn more about maintanance and DIY upgrades and care.

Also a where can I purchase a manual when I high hopefully get it?
Old 08-26-10, 11:14 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Smile

I agree 100%

Also I showed my dad this car and he actually likes it and I think
It might be a winner! haha, Can someone point in the right direction
to learn more about maintanance and DIY upgrades and care.

Also a where can I purchase a manual when I high hopefully get it?
Welcome to the forums! It's cool seeing so many other young people buying cool cars like the SC over a boring Camry or Civic. A great place to look for DIY stuff or maintenance would be this thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-threads.html. There are tons of DIY's and upgrades found in that thread. You can also search in the Performance & Maintenance forum for a lot of good information depending on what you're trying to do.

Good luck with your search for an SC! Try to get one that's clean and with relatively low mileage, but not so low that you have to replace everything. The same goes for the higher mileage ones too as most 5-speed SC's I've seen have high mileage and are a little beat up. As long as the car has all of it's maintenance done, you should be find.
Old 08-26-10, 11:57 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

If your planning on a GTE or any serious boost, you will most likely swap the W58 for a R154/V160, so I'd look for an auto because they are cheaper.

Quick Reply: New and Looking