SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 07:52 AM
FondoMynob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

I have a 93 SC300 w/ a leaking valve cover gasket and am planning on tearing it down and replacing it. I've worked on cars for years and have decent mechanical knowledge and feel confident i can complete the job. I've searched on here and done my research.

One thing I haven't been able to find is a parts list. I always ordered my parts from Sewell in the past for my IS, and plan on purchasing everything I need from there. They have a complete upper half gasket kit, but there is a lot of stuff on there that i dont need, so I was planning on purchasing them a la cart. I was curious if anyone can give me a parts list, or edit what I have below so that I dont tear everything apart, and then lack efficient parts to complete the job.

-valve cover gaskets
-IM y pipe gasket
-EGR gaskets

Any added info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-18-10, 09:12 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just searched google shopping and came up with a few sources. Here are a couple.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

http://www.oereplacement.com/advance...Feed%2BTracker

I'll be doing the same thing in a couple weeks on my car. Hopefully it's not too hard a job.
Old 08-18-10, 09:47 AM
FondoMynob
Driver School Candidate

Sorry i wasn't more specific. I already plan on getting the parts from Lexus, I was just trying to build a list of all the parts that I will need so that I don't get stuck halfway missing a gasket or something.
Old 08-18-10, 10:06 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, sorry can't help you with that. This is gonna be my first time doing this job. Hopefully I don't get stuck anywhere.
Old 08-18-10, 10:22 AM
FondoMynob
Driver School Candidate

gte is easier, you're intake manifold doesnt cover the top of your engine like the ge does...you're should be easy like a honda is. But anyway, thanks for the input. good luck on yours.
Old 08-18-10, 03:17 PM
cheez
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did mine before and i have a ge. ur just gonna need 10 and 14mm sockets and a really long extension to take the manifold off. also a monkey wrench to undo the egr nut from the pipe near the firewall. oh and while ur in there i would change ur spark plugs the same time so u dont gotta do the later and it be a hassle. there r two other gaskets in the manifold but they r metal so u dont gotta worry about them. but i would get a gasket that comes with all this http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...tsandseals.php

Last edited by cheez; 08-18-10 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-18-10, 03:32 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cheez
i did mine before and i have a ge. ur just gonna need 10 and 14mm sockets and a really long extension to take the manifold off. also a monkey wrench to undo the egr nut from the pipe near the firewall. oh and while ur in there i would change ur spark plugs the same time so u dont gotta do the later and it be a hassle. there r two other gaskets in the manifold but they r metal so u dont gotta worry about them. but i would get a gasket that comes with all this http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...tsandseals.php
+1 what he said get some denso plugs n wires while your there...when i did mine i changed the same stuff u plan on changing + pvc valve, all gaskets, plug n wires, and i changed the vaccum lines out just cause its so much easier with everything off...
Old 08-18-10, 06:55 PM
FondoMynob
Driver School Candidate

So the image colored below is metal? I've been searching Sewell's parts website like crazy and cannot find a part number for it.

Old 08-18-10, 07:17 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, it's metal. It can usually be re-used if no one torqued it totally flat. I would suggest you check for a Toyota part number and get it from a Toyota dealer; exact same part, and it will be cheaper and perhaps even more local too.
Old 08-19-10, 08:29 PM
thatWESguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently doing the same thing, I was originally going to just clean the throttle body and switch out the plugs, but I found my plugs swimming in a puddle of oil under the valve cover today; so now I have to change the gasket before I continue. I don't have a DIY up, but I do have some pictures of my progress:

this is how gross the TB was:

and the Y pipe:

some after shots:

and then I discovered this today while taking out the first plug:

so I took off the valve cover to discover this:

...awesome

cleaned it up with a gang of paper towels, will be ordering the valve cover gasket tomorrow

FondoMyKnob: this is the part you were looking for

hope that helps
Old 08-20-10, 08:26 AM
FondoMynob
Driver School Candidate

thatWESguy,

thank you very much, you're a life saver. i searched and searched for a number but couldnt find one. I know its metal and reusable, but the car has 170k miles and id rather just replace it w/ new since im gonna have it apart anyway.

I do have a question though, i see a lot of people have major problems removing the EGR...was yours a pita also?
Old 08-20-10, 09:48 AM
FondoMynob
Driver School Candidate

also, what'd u use to clean out the TB and Y pipe? they look pretty good.
Old 08-20-10, 11:01 AM
thatWESguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a problem, EGR wasn't too bad, I didn't take it off, I just unplugged the vacuum hoses and moved most of it to the side and worked around it.

to clean the TB and Y pipe, I just used carb cleaner from Pep Boys, any degreaser will do the job, make sure you either tape up or remove the sensors on the TB before cleaning
Old 08-20-10, 11:15 AM
FondoMynob
Driver School Candidate

doesnt seem too bad. Im just dreading trying to do it in the texas 105 heat w/ no garage. hopefully it wont be too long or difficult. Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-09-11, 05:15 PM
myfonti
Driver School Candidate

how did you get that one bold on the y pipe closest to the firewall? im trying to take mine off and im stuck on that... im in the process of changing my valve cover gasket, plugs, steering rack bushings, and power steering line...pls help!

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gasket Replacement